Do we need a passport?

JEN5508

If you are US citizens, then a certified STATE issued birth certificate and a Government issued Photo ID are all that are required.

A hospital report of live birth it not acceptable.   If born outside the US, then you need a copy of the Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

Just remethat in an emergency if you need to fly home from a foreign port you will need a passport and that can take time in foreign port.  Not all foreign ports have a US consulate that can issue a passport.  Also don't try getting one after hours or on a weekend.  I speak from experience. 

1 minute ago, Kwaj girl said:

Unless you have to fly back home from a foreign port in an emergency. 

THIS.  If you get sick and wind up in the hospital at your port (or for any other reason) miss the ship, you will not be allowed to board a plane back to  the US unless you go to the US consulate in that country and get a passport.

13 minutes ago, JEN5508 said:

I am a US citizen... would a passport be easier or does the birth certificate work ok?

Passport is always the best, especially if you need to fly home from a foreign country.

Add also to the emergency flying home.  Passport card won't work.  Need actual passport book for that.  

I carry both.  

• Also add in...if you are going on a cruise that stops at Martinique...you will need passport book..(not card, not DL, not birth certificate).  I received that recent email from RCI due to my Vision cruise stopping there next month.  

OP:  You have more than enough time to apply for passports...I would do it.  

Edited by island lady

OP, it's really two questions- 1) do you need a passport to board the cruise and 2) is it advisable for you to use one. The first question has been answered, no, you don't need one to board the cruise. The second question depends on your personal situation- how likely is it that you would need it for an emergency. I know that for me I have to go back a good number of years to find an event in my life that would have caused me to leave a cruise early so for me the risk of something happening in that short 7 day window is very low. You have to do what works best for you and your situation.

2 minutes ago, JEN5508 said:

Here are our ports:

Miami , Florida | Philipsburg , St. Maarten | Charlotte Amalie , St. Thomas | Perfect Day at CocoCay , Bahamas | Miami , Florida

As mentioned, certified birth certificate and government issued photo ID will suffice for this cruise.  However, if you think you will be traveling outside the country a few times in the near future, it's probably a good idea to spring for the passport as that is the ultimate ID for international travel.

• Like 1

You will be going abroad, including the EU. Get that passport and avoid severe consequences in case of you having to disembark/ repatriate.

I sometimes really wonder why people are so reluctant to get a simple passport and in my opinion, Caribbean islands, especially EU ones should start to make the possession of a passport mandatory when visiting the island by cruise.

• Like 1

Yes, as everyone has stated, I agree that passports are smart when traveling. 

But NOT required for your cruise.  Your choice.

Personally, I have not been without a passport since 1978.  

2 minutes ago, SRF said:

Yes, as everyone has stated, I agree that passports are smart when traveling. 

But NOT required for your cruise.  Your choice.

Personally, I have not been without a passport since 1978.  

Agree. Been Cruising myself over 30yrs, just got Passport last month as booked my first TA. Done multiple Open Circuit Cruises 6 out of last 8yrs just using my Enhanced Michigan Driver's Licence...

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

Go for the passports. Apply now and you'll have them before your June cruise. Good for ten years. 

Exactly to the point, my DS friend! 👍  It's the sign of the times...get a passport...be done with it. 

Why take the chance...it's going to happen at some point that all will need passport book for any kind of 

international travel.  

Here is the email I got a few days ago (since our 2/1 cruise goes to Martinique) ...and now just a few minutes ago as a reminder.  Not that the OP is going there, but this is trending towards the sign of the times:

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

We can’t wait to welcome you onboard our February 1st Vision of the Seas sailing. Before you board, we’d like to remind you to have your travel documentation ready. It’s important we kick off your vacation the right way, so below we’ve shared some helpful tips to get you ready.

Travel Documents

As of January 1st, 2020, all guests on sailings visiting Martinique will need a passport book (not a passport card) for boarding. Please be sure your passport book is valid for at least 6 months after the sailing ends.

Passport cards and birth certificates will not be accepted and may result in a denial of boarding for both adults and minors.

Then, be sure to keep your travel documents and SetSail Pass handy! You’ll need them from the moment you arrive to the port, all the way to boarding the ship, so you don’t want to pack them in your luggage.

Edited by island lady

2 minutes ago, JEN5508 said:

We will get one... there are just 8 of us and, honestly, they probably won't be used again... I didn't want to spend the money if I didn't have to...

thank you for the comments!

jen

Never say never.  😉  As mentioned...passports books are good for 10 years.