Opinions about ncl that are against conventional wisdom

havanadaydreaming

Here are some things I think/feel/believe that run against conventional wisdom, feel free to add your own!

*hate buffets on land but I enjoy ncl's, especially on bigger shifts. 

*Epic bathroom setup didn't faze me at all. 

*not sure if take a free upgrade to Haven from balcony. 1)don't wanna get spoiled 2)a butler? Seems awkward to me 3)this based only on speculation 

*I'm generally pro art auction, find the purchases fascinating. But was recently on 4 nt cruise that advertised $99 fares and the art auctioneer was offering some art at $6k, $12k, etc. Tough gig!

*I haven't consumed a soda onboard for years, so I don't care which brand is served. 

*paper straws suuuuuuuuuck. I loved a metal set, of 3,  I bought from margaritaville for $15.  I never woulda thunk I'd ever buy a metal straw, highly recommended. 

*I wish the ship announcements would play in room. I always forget which channel broadcasts them. 

*I actually like nassau

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, havanadaydreaming said:

*Epic bathroom setup didn't faze me at all.

I don't mind the bathroom setup in itself - it's fine for the studio rooms.  But I feel like if I was in a shared room, I'd feel a bit exposed when my cabin mate had the door to the hallway open.

44 minutes ago, havanadaydreaming said:

Here are some things I think/feel/believe that run against conventional wisdom, feel free to add your own!

44 minutes ago, havanadaydreaming said:

*I actually like nassau

please list the things within walking distance from the port that may be interesting, other than straw market. when i was there last time i did straw market and a few blocks back to the ship and saw the tourist shops and that was it. so id say stuff less than 30 min from port is something i need for my trip in 2 weeks. no beach stuff. like shops, museums and quirky things

I also really like the Epic. Can’t wait to be on her again in January! 

I Like the buffet coffee 🤣 It tastes like what my dad always made. It’s definitely not strong enough though so I always buy an espresso at the atrium bar. 

I don’t like any of the desserts on board 😬

• Like 1

I'd like to go to nassau some day. We missed it when the port didn't have a berth for Epic (2013)

I'm not a fan of suites and found butlers to be annoying, especially when spending time with DH

I don't care that NCL doesn't serve lobster; never had it even when it was available

Found the BR setup on the Epic to be very convenient and worked well for us

I don't use straws at all... I only drink wine

I like the food in the MDR some even better than the specialty restaurants

PS Thanks for starting this thread OP, it's a fun one. 

Edited by All-ready2cruise
  • Like 3

I have never stepped foot on any cruise line's private island. Almost everyone gets off the ship, and it's a great day to enjoy all the amenities on board with no waits for anything. Usually turns out to be one of my favorite days!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, luckyinpa said:

please list the things within walking distance from the port that may be interesting, other than straw market. when i was there last time i did straw market and a few blocks back to the ship and saw the tourist shops and that was it. so id say stuff less than 30 min from port is something i need for my trip in 2 weeks. no beach stuff. like shops, museums and quirky things

Someone else might do better. 

We have done 3-4 different catamarans/real sailboats. 

Once just walked around town,I found a few very strong food places by accident searching for cracked conch. 

Did resort for day at Warwick week it opened. Very nice, a+ service. 

This time we grabbed a cab to Margaritaville on paradise island, mainly to sit in the sun. Its our 4thtrip there, love the Tree Amigos and chips (guac, pick de Gallo salsa, cheese dip) and local beer. Took a boat shuttle back...averaged $5pp + tip ea way. 

1 hour ago, luckyinpa said:

We walked to John Watling's Distillery, nice walk, pleasant free tour, free samples, and then a lovely walk back to the port. Area was clean and felt very safe but some areas did not have sidewalks so be careful when walking in the road! Some fast drivers!

5 hours ago, havanadaydreaming said:

*I wish the ship announcements would play in room. I always forget which channel broadcasts them

Even if you knew, if you were on the balcony you'd miss 90% of the announcement by the time you get the TV turned on and tuned to the channel.

The best setup I saw for this was on RCI's Explorer Of The Seas - there was actually a switch in the room that allowed you to turn those on or off for your room.  Emergency announcements overrode that selection.

6 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/16/travel/36-hours-in-nassau-the-bahamas.html

7 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

I walk to McDonalds, buy desert for the WiFi, from there, walk  to the Pirate Museum, from there, walk down the street to a beautiful church, from there, walk back to the ship & stop by a small local park for pictures 

I like the Epic as well. I dont drink so I have no complaints about the cost of alcohol on the ship or the beverage packages, actually seeing comments about prices here helps me remain a nondrinker, hahaha. I can always find something good to eat whenever I want to eat, so no complaints there. I love researching for my cruise so I rarely have surprises to complain about and dont experience sticker shock. Rarely have reasons to go to Guest Services because Im pretty self sufficient and research helps my cruise flow without needing to stand in lines to ask silly questions. Traveling during non-school break times reduces the number of children on board  so I rarely have complaints about too many kids being on board. I eat dinner early so I rarely have complaints about wait times or not getting reservations. Service has been good. Kindness seems appreciated by staff. 

Thanks for the tip about staying on the ship at private islands. Sounds good!

Great thread! I look forward to reading more responses! 

• Like 1

I don't mind the artwork in the Venetian dining room on Dawn. I still think it is a very pretty room.

I am not a big fan of Moderno, and don't think the salad bar there is so special. My husband likes Moderno, but I don't like the interuptions when they bring more meat.

• Like 1

Love the design of Epic (with the exception of the waterfront and bathrooms, all later NCL ships followed most of the design)

Le Bistro is way overrated 

LaCucina should not be considered a specialty restaurant

Butler service is way overrated

Booking directly with NCL is better than a TA

Every menu change over the years from O'Sheehans, Cagneys, La Cucina, etc is less quality (IMHO not improved)

Haven restaurant food is great but very similar to MDR items (its more style than substance)

My last one would have been in effect until a few years ago (no longer true)
Drink prices are inexpensive and less than land based restaurants for the most part