Carry-on luggage on Alaska land tours

gb88

Does this mean that I cannot take a carry-on with wheels that fits under my seat on a plane????  Below is what appears on the Princess website.  What about laptop computers?????

Luggage information It is important to remember to keep all valuables, medications, passport, travel documents and medical supplies on your person. Your hand-carried tote should be properly labeled with your name and address. As a three-hour wait is possible to receive bags once you arrive at each location on your land tour, please include items you will want immediately in your hand-carried piece. We recommend soft-sided tote bags or backpacks no larger than 17x14x4 with a zip enclosure. Wheeled carry-on cases that are used as carry-on luggage on airlines are too large and are not suitable as hand-carried luggage on motorcoaches and trains.   For additional information on luggage, please refer to the Alaska cruisetour section of Cruise Answer Place on princess.com. You will receive your Cruisetour luggage tags upon arrival at your first Alaska city.

Yes - it is 17" x 17" x 4", but it does fit under the seat on a plane, provided there are not electrical boxes under the seat.  Can you send 2 bags - a wheeled carry-on  and a regular large bag, under the bus or on a truck that brings the luggage to the next lodge?

You will have bag that meets you at the lodge, yes.  That should hold most of your items.  But only one per person. 

Yet ANOTHER bag will join you at the ship.  It will not be with you during the cruisetour.

THIS bag should have only bare essentials and be easy to carry everywhere.  It won't have a change of clothes and similar.  medications, other toiletries, maybe a pair of socks for if yours get wet, camera.  Very little.

Edited by bemis12

45 minutes ago, bemis12 said:

You will have bag that meets you at the lodge, yes.  That should hold most of your items.  But only one per person. 

Yet ANOTHER bag will join you at the ship.  It will not be with you during the cruisetour.

THIS bag should have only bare essentials and be easy to carry everywhere.  It won't have a change of clothes and similar.  medications, other toiletries, maybe a pair of socks for if yours get wet, camera.  Very little.

Having recently done Alaska, including a Princess land tour, I find the above post confusing.

All of our larger suitcases were transported to the next lodge on another bus and they were delivered quickly once we arrived. We usually take one of those small carry on cases but followed the Princess advice and took a backpack in its place and this worked fine for us. Certainly on some occasions the small aircraft on board case that we usually take would have been too large for the bus or trains we took. We did not have any bag that was tagged "meet me at the ship" nor did many others from my observation. Most people take one large suitcase with them and these bags follow you if that is what you want.

It is all very well organised with the biggest hassle having to have your bags in the corridor for collection very early some mornings. It was a great cruise and tour.

We've done two Alaska cruise tours. We have a bag to "meet us on the ship". That bag contains most of the "smart casual" and "formal night" clothing including shoes. The bags that are shipped to each lodge have "Alaska clothing". I carry a small backpack with my meds, good watch, tablet, etc. with me on the bus/motor coach/train. My wife carries a large "purse type" bag with her "must have" stuff. It's not a problem. We even had a couple of very long (as in 8 hours or so) motor coach rides. Not an issue. I didn't see anybody with a "wheelie" type of bag other than ones that were delivered to the room on the first afternoon/evening we arrived at each lodge.