Going on Edge

charlielinda

We were on the beautiful Reflection for 24 days in November and my husband heard all about the Edge.  I always had told him I wasn’t interested.  Well, guess what, he was.  So just booked a January cruise on the Edge and will go with an open mind.  Any tips I should know.  

17 hours ago, charlielinda said:

We were on the beautiful Reflection for 24 days in November and my husband heard all about the Edge.  I always had told him I wasn’t interested.  Well, guess what, he was.  So just booked a January cruise on the Edge and will go with an open mind.  Any tips I should know.  

If you loved Reflection, the best tip I can give you is...try and talk your husband out of it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

If you loved Reflection, the best tip I can give you is...try and talk your husband out of it. 

You should look forward to trying the Edge. It is a fine experience, although there are some cons to the ship, just as there are to others. You may prefer it a little more or a little less than other Celebrity ships, but you will have a fine time.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

I'm booked on the Apex May 30th Mediterranean cruise and now wish I had not bothered. Paid for an ocean view verandah and due to the lack of cabin sales was able to upgrade to a concierge IV for less than ocean view. After reading all the negative reviews about these verandahs hoping an aft veranda opens up.  

22 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I'm booked on the Apex May 30th Mediterranean cruise and now wish I had not bothered. Paid for an ocean view verandah and due to the lack of cabin sales was able to upgrade to a concierge IV for less than ocean view. After reading all the negative reviews about these verandahs hoping an aft veranda opens up.  

You are in luck. You haven't made final payment yet. Cancel or better yet, there are Solstice class ship in the Med at that time. Have your TA find you one of those. That way if you already have airfare, you can just switch to a Solstice or Millennium class ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Many cruisers enjoy the Infinite Verandah..might really be great for a Medit Cruise.

To those with doubts, there are positive and neg reviews...so I suggest you read more and go with an open mind. 

Reflection felt much more crowded than EDGE

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was recently on Edge and was a bit apprehensive prior to our cruise.    There were so many negative posting about the ship that I was questioning what it would be like to be aboard for a month.   I did however go with an open mind.

I would say that it is different from other ships but found the ship to have some of the best staff on Celebrity.   The ship is beautiful and well maintained and there are so many spaces to explore.   All in All we really enjoyed the ship and would cruise her again - AT THE RIGHT PRICE.     While we enjoyed our cruise I really don't think she warrants the large surcharge over other ships.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, hcat said:

Many cruisers enjoy the Infinite Verandah..might really be great for a Medit Cruise.

To those with doubts, there are positive and neg reviews...so I suggest you read more and go with an open mind. 

Reflection felt much more crowded than EDGE

I know you're probably right. My original oceanview is still available at a $300 savings. I would lose the IV and great location deck 12 midship by stairs also CC. Only thing I care about is embarkation lunch but as you say open mind. I'll keep telling myself that. 

drakes2:

Hubby and I spent 2 weeks on the Edge in March of this year sailing the Caribbean.  We had a Concierge Class Infiniti Balcony and LOVED it as well as the rest of the ship.   As to the balcony, I have a question for you...…… Do you use your balcony for sunbathing?  If your answer is YES you will not like the Infiniti Balcony.   If on the other hand you like to get fresh air and have a wall to wall view of the Ocean you will love the Infiniti Balcony.  We enjoyed the seating on the balcony, the view and the fresh air and, if there was too much sun we just lowered the shade.  For the entire 2 weeks we never shut the interior bifold doors, they were always open and this gave us a more spacious feel to the cabin. 

Yes the ship is different, but we enjoyed the change and the ability to explore something new  and different.  The crew is amazing and will do everything they can to make you comfortable.  We had the dining plan that let us move from dining room to dining room as we wished and were never disappointed.

Not sure of your age, but, Hubby and I are in our early 70's and enjoyed the Edge!  We hope you will enjoy it as well

• Like 6

3 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Please keep in mind some of the harshest critics of the Edge have never stepped  foot on the ship.  If I were you I’d keep the IV.  We used that space a lot more than we do a regular veranda.  

Edited by Oville
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, driftychick said:

drakes2:

Hubby and I spent 2 weeks on the Edge in March of this year sailing the Caribbean.  We had a Concierge Class Infiniti Balcony and LOVED it as well as the rest of the ship.   As to the balcony, I have a question for you...…… Do you use your balcony for sunbathing?  If your answer is YES you will not like the Infiniti Balcony.   If on the other hand you like to get fresh air and have a wall to wall view of the Ocean you will love the Infiniti Balcony.  We enjoyed the seating on the balcony, the view and the fresh air and, if there was too much sun we just lowered the shade.  For the entire 2 weeks we never shut the interior bifold doors, they were always open and this gave us a more spacious feel to the cabin. 

Yes the ship is different, but we enjoyed the change and the ability to explore something new  and different.  The crew is amazing and will do everything they can to make you comfortable.  We had the dining plan that let us move from dining room to dining room as we wished and were never disappointed.

Not sure of your age, but, Hubby and I are in our early 70's and enjoyed the Edge!  We hope you will enjoy it as well

Thank you. As only 1 sea day on this busy itinerary doubt it will be used for sunbathing. I'm a pool girl and enjoy my sea days out by the pool in the water and relaxing with a good book.

1 hour ago, Oville said:

Please keep in mind some of the harshest critics of the Edge have never stepped  foot on the ship.  If I were you I’d keep the IV.  We used that space a lot more than we do a regular veranda.  

As I mentioned it's not a huge savings to drop down to an ocean view but it's a partial obstruction and it's at the back of the ship. I try not to do elevators as I like getting a bit of exercise as with all the extra calories consumed it does help with weight maintenance.  

1 hour ago, Oville said:

Disagree.  The Edge is crowded and loud and shouty in the evenings.  There is no quiet place to have a glass of wine.  It is a party ship.

39 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Thank you. As only 1 sea day on this busy itinerary doubt it will be used for sunbathing. I'm a pool girl and enjoy my sea days out by the pool in the water and relaxing with a good book.

Just got off of the Edge a couple of weeks ago. Good thing about the pool area is that there are a good number of lounge chairs available. Not so great thing is that very little shade is available outdoors.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Disagree.  The Edge is crowded and loud and shouty in the evenings.  There is no quiet place to have a glass of wine.  It is a party ship.

There are certainly some cons to Eclipse, especially the lack of elevators and too small a showroom. However, we had no problem finding quiet places to have a drink, although agree that it would be nice if there were a few more. In terms of being any kind of a "party ship" we did not find it to be any different than Solstice Class ships. eg. the Reflection in that regard.

1 hour ago, edgee said:

There are certainly some cons to Eclipse, especially the lack of elevators and too small a showroom. However, we had no problem finding quiet places to have a drink, although agree that it would be nice if there were a few more. In terms of being any kind of a "party ship" we did not find it to be any different than Solstice Class ships. eg. the Reflection in that regard.

Where was a quiet pace to have a drink?  It was definitely not Eden or the Grand Foyer.  Not many other places that were indoors and worthwhile.

15 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Where was a quiet pace to have a drink?  It was definitely not Eden or the Grand Foyer.  Not many other places that were indoors and worthwhile.

I admit they could use more locations for "quiet" drinks but we found Eden to be very relaxing whenever we had a pre or post dinner drink. 

2 minutes ago, edgee said:

I admit they could use more locations for "quiet" drinks but we found Eden to be very relaxing whenever we had a pre or post dinner drink. 

They had entertainment in Eden during our cruise.  Eden was always noisy and crowded in the evenings.  Our versions of quiet are drastically different.

Edited by NMTraveller

On 12/6/2019 at 2:31 PM, charlielinda said:

Enjoy your cruise...walk the ship in its entirety, and have a great time!  Never believe everything you are told; find out for yourself...life is way too short to sweat what others' proclaim.  Experiences should be varied and full of surprise...remember, some proclaimed that the world was flat; you know how that turned out... 

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Because you cruised on the Edge I have no issues with your comments but do disagree with your analysis.  Oddly enough when you wrote your review you mentioned none of these complaints rather commented had your excursions not been messed up you would have rated the Edge one or two notches higher.

Edited by Oville

2 hours ago, Lastdance said:

Enjoy your cruise...walk the ship in its entirety, and have a great time!  Never believe everything you are told; find out for yourself...life is way too short to sweat what others' proclaim.  Experiences should be varied and full of surprise...remember, some proclaimed that the world was flat; you know how that turned out... 

Excellent advice.

I rated. the Edge a 2.  If shore excursions were not a hot mess I would have given it a 3.  I give S class ships a 4.0.

The Edge has many many issues due to it being a new ship.

You cannot fix taking away the best of the S class ships!

Too bad that Celebrity has taken away the best of S class vs improving on it and making it a plus.  All marketing hype.

Many others give the Edge a 2 or 3.  The average Edge review is a lousy lousy 3.5.  The average S class ship is a 4.0.  The Edge is overhyped and underperforms.

Edited by NMTraveller