Antarctica west to east or east to west?

RMurp007

We did east to west several years ago.  We saw Antarctica before going up the west coast of South America. We thought the Chilean fjords and glaciers were rather blasé compared to what we left several days earlier in Antarctica.  I'd suggest going west to east.

Charles

There are pros and cons to both directions. 

My first time I went east to west. As we approached Antarctica we started to see small icebergs once in a while. As we moved closer they grew in both number and size, until we got to the climax of huge icebergs that were up to 300' high, or so long you could land a plane on them. It was a magnificent progression. 

Another time I did west to east. That time the Chilean fjords were really a good experience.
They had been anti-climatic the first time, after those Antarctic slabs. However, the bergs at iceberg alley were a big nothing, again, after seeing the main event. 

You really can't go wrong with either direction. It might be better to pick a date that works better for you. 
Another consideration, although minor, is the flight home from Santiago is a big shorter than the one from Buenos Aires, since the time zone is one hour closer. 
If you do go west to east you should have an overnight in Buenos Aires. Consider leaving the ship on that last evening and flying out that night. You will be able to sleep later that morning, and relax on the ship all day. Then head to the airport for a late evening flight. It is a lot less grueling than a flight the day of disembarkation. Or, stay over another night in Buenos Aires to make for a more relaxing day when you fly out. 

Whatever you do, take this cruise while you still can! It is an experience to remember. 

• Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, RuthC said:

There are pros and cons to both directions. 

My first time I went east to west. As we approached Antarctica we started to see small icebergs once in a while. As we moved closer they grew in both number and size, until we got to the climax of huge icebergs that were up to 300' high, or so long you could land a plane on them. It was a magnificent progression. 

Another time I did west to east. That time the Chilean fjords were really a good experience.
They had been anti-climatic the first time, after those Antarctic slabs. However, the bergs at iceberg alley were a big nothing, again, after seeing the main event. 

You really can't go wrong with either direction. It might be better to pick a date that works better for you. 
Another consideration, although minor, is the flight home from Santiago is a big shorter than the one from Buenos Aires, since the time zone is one hour closer. 
If you do go west to east you should have an overnight in Buenos Aires. Consider leaving the ship on that last evening and flying out that night. You will be able to sleep later that morning, and relax on the ship all day. Then head to the airport for a late evening flight. It is a lot less grueling than a flight the day of disembarkation. Or, stay over another night in Buenos Aires to make for a more relaxing day when you fly out. 

Whatever you do, take this cruise while you still can! It is an experience to remember. 

Great advice Ruth!!!! Where were you to tell us that several years ago!LOL😊 I was a ZOMBIE! 
Hope RMurp007 takes your advice.

We did West to East.

Denise😊

20 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Does this mean a cabin on port side is recommended for the West to East route?

My cabin was on the starboard side and I don't think it made any difference.  If one is "out and about" as one ought to be when cruising in scenic areas, where one's cabin is located is not relevant.  

12 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

My cabin was on the starboard side and I don't think it made any difference.  If one is "out and about" as one ought to be when cruising in scenic areas, where one's cabin is located is not relevant.  

I'll probably be in an Inside or at most Oceanview. Just wasn't sure if it would be better in terms of hearing there is something to see and making a dash for an open deck area to see it. But you're probably right that either location would be about the same....

7 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'll probably be in an Inside or at most Oceanview. Just wasn't sure if it would be better in terms of hearing there is something to see and making a dash for an open deck area to see it. But you're probably right that either location would be about the same....

My cabin on the Zaandam was on Dolphin Deck.  Frequently, I kept the Bridge Cam on the TV when I was in the cabin.  If I saw something of particular interest, I headed topside.  May be wrong, but I don't think there was any narration coming through the audio of the TV.  

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Does this mean a cabin on port side is recommended for the West to East route?

If you're outside, you can of course see it all form bow to aft on port side, but if you have a veranda you can watch it all from your room..