Getaway LIVE... December 8-13.

ClevelandCruisin

52 minutes ago, epermar said:

I've heard two other people say the town is dirty.  We will be there a day ahead of our cruise the end of January.  Want to at least go to Cafe Beignet, Jackson Square and hear some jazz in the streets, a decent meal and just relax before the next day.  I can do without the Bourbon Street nightlife but think the architecture and music/street performers would be neat to see.

It's like any other major city, it has good areas and not-so-good areas, plus New Orleans is old. You'll find a ton of interesting architecture, there will be no shortage of decent meals, the beignets will be good, and at Café du Monde there is usually jazz right outside.  I would definitely visit Bourbon Street once, there is such a range from Gourmet Fine-dining to dive bars all lumped together. I wouldn't go there every night but it was worth seeing. 

15 hours ago, ClevelandCruisin said:

Almost time to leave Progreso.

Probably the last time I ever visit here.

It was a random cruise booking. If only it didnt have such a long pier.

There is usually a free bus that will take you to town, but it is a fairly long way. We had a good time in the little market where they drop you off, and quite a few people were shopping at the nearby pharmacias (sp?) We like to visit the Mayan Heritage sites, but I agree that it's not the most exciting port you can visit. I hope the Sun comes out for you today!

• Like 1

I had no idea NCL went to Progreso...learn something everyday...

re NOLA, many things to see...take the street car out past Tulane and the Garden District...explore out that way..

Dragos...Chargrilled Oysters are not to be missed...Hilton Riverside...

Edited by PTC DAWG

after the infamous bathroom shot, I kind of lost my appetite for lunch! LOL, Just kidding though.

As a former health care worker I have seen that enough times that it no longer bothers me.  Thanks for the great review.

I appreciate it, and like others I will say, venture out beyond Bourbon street and that immediate area of New Orleans to truly enjoy the city.  Audubon Park is great.  Like someone else said, head out on the street car to Tulane and beyond, some lovely areas to be enjoyed, and the food in NOLA is quite often excellent.

Enjoying your review and photos very much.  thanks for posting.

• Like 2