Dead Trees

CruisingAlong4Now

The number of repetitive and useless sales brochures mailed is ridiculous.  I think that Oceania now rivals Viking river cruises with providing me with the most garbage.  I haven't sailed either line and have no intention of sailing either line.  I've managed to block and delete all their emails automatically using spam filters at the server level, but the printed versions keep coming.  Free upgrades, special packages, and of course the always, always enticing 2-1 sales.

I conclude that enough people respond to their frequent and non-stop mailings to warrant the continual barrage in my mailbox. 

My usual way of dealing with spam mail doesn't work very well with these sales brochures.  When i receive mail with a prepaid business envelope, I send the envelope back to the sender.  But the cruise lines brochures don't have return envelopes.

I just feel bad for all the dead trees. 

1 hour ago, CruisingAlong4Now said:

The number of repetitive and useless sales brochures mailed is ridiculous.  I think that Oceania now rivals Viking river cruises with providing me with the most garbage.  I haven't sailed either line and have no intention of sailing either line.  I've managed to block and delete all their emails automatically using spam filters at the server level, but the printed versions keep coming.  Free upgrades, special packages, and of course the always, always enticing 2-1 sales.

I conclude that enough people respond to their frequent and non-stop mailings to warrant the continual barrage in my mailbox. 

My usual way of dealing with spam mail doesn't work very well with these sales brochures.  When i receive mail with a prepaid business envelope, I send the envelope back to the sender.  But the cruise lines brochures don't have return envelopes.

All you need to do is opt out of mailings on the Oceania website.

Guest Services> Marketing Preferences>

You can opt out of mail, email and/or phone

You cannot opt out.  You can try, but it never seems to work. 

Actually I don't care about the garbage.  In fact, I'm happy these companies are wasting their money on me.  Since I never asked for the brochures, the more they spend on my garbage, the higher their costs.  (My garbage pickup is a flat fee; I don't pay by weight.)

I just feel bad for the trees.

56 minutes ago, CruisingAlong4Now said:

You cannot opt out.  You can try, but it never seems to work. 

Actually I don't care about the garbage.  In fact, I'm happy these companies are wasting their money on me.  Since I never asked for the brochures, the more they spend on my garbage, the higher their costs.  (My garbage pickup is a flat fee; I don't pay by weight.)

I just feel bad for the trees.

See post #3. The online opt out works just fine.

Have you tried it? Didn't work for me. I'm still getting unsolicited brochures from them. Why do the do that? So annoying. If I wanted one I'd ask for one. The annoyance is a enough to make me NOT want to sail with them. Not unlike the peaky telemarketer who wanted so badly to clean all my carpets. I finally told him that his company was the last one I would ever use.

• Like 1

Oceania is the worst!  I started getting their brochures a couple years ago and I never asked for them.  I can only assume their daddy cruise line company, NCL, shared my info with them after a NCL cruise I took.  When I moved, they got my new address and still to this day, I get them regularly.  They go straight from my mailbox to my trash can.   

And no, the opt-out does not "work just fine."  I've tried opting out more than once to no avail.

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, mom says said:

If I wanted one I'd ask for one.

It seems to me, if I've booked cruises with a company for a number of years, they should be able to figure out I know where to find them.  I don't need all that paperwork coming to my mailbox on a bi-weekly basis.

I'd love to opt of of the nicely bound, glossy BOOKS (not just brochures) that we get from Vantage on a weekly basis.  Now, I do like getting the (smaller) envelopes that offer me reduced fares if I book "by a certain date".  I hope those keep coming.

22 hours ago, CruisingAlong4Now said:

14 hours ago, Been There, Planning That said:

Didn't work for us.  I even tried 'deceased'  but they kept coming!  

The dead trees knew you hadn't joined them yet !! 👻 

• Like 1

On 12/7/2019 at 11:28 AM, CruisingAlong4Now said:

We maybe take comfort in the fact that the US plants 1.6 billion seedlings each year (yes, billion), half of which are by those in the forest products industries, and that there are more trees today than there were 35 years ago.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

All you need to do is opt out of mailings on the Oceania website.

Guest Services> Marketing Preferences>

You can opt out of mail, email and/or phone

Will be interesting to see if this works.  I opted out for all people at our address.

17 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Oceania is the worst!  I started getting their brochures a couple years ago and I never asked for them.  I can only assume their daddy cruise line company, NCL, shared my info with them after a NCL cruise I took.  When I moved, they got my new address and still to this day, I get them regularly.  They go straight from my mailbox to my trash can.   

And no, the opt-out does not "work just fine."  I've tried opting out more than once to no avail.

My good friend Thurston Howell III, and his wife Lovey say that any accomplished, well-heeled, cosmopolitan traveler should cherish one of those award winning brochures.  😀😀😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

My good friend Thurston Howell III, and his wife Lovey say that any accomplished, well-heeled, cosmopolitan traveler should cherish one of those award winning brochures.  😀😀😀

I can think of one person who likely has his study wallpapered with them.

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, DRS/NC said:

I wonder if Oceania could lower their prices (especially for this solo cruiser) if they didn't send me 3-6 catalogs, brochures & flyers each week.  

I've never cruised w/them & likely never will.

I would hope that your decision wouldn't be based solely on the amount of mailings you receive as Oceania is one of the better cruise lines in the industry and it would be a shame to not consider them because of that.  And, as with any cruise line, their solo rate is based on, and essentially equal to, the double occupancy rate less one set of port fees and taxes.  (And while they are lower, the solo rates with those cruise lines that offer solo staterooms are still at a premium compared to the one passenger fare with double occupancy, in staterooms that are considerably smaller).

Their rates overall are higher as they are more of a premium line with many things included that are separate on other lines. I seriously doubt that those rates would change significantly based on lesser mailings. 

Edited by leaveitallbehind

You do understand that trees are a renewable resource and are harvested like corn, wheat and tomatoes (albeit with a longer grow time) right?   They cut them down and replant them with new trees.  Also, there is a very good chance that the stuff you are getting in the mail is made from recycled paper, thus no new trees were harvested. I just picked up 40k lbs of rolled paper stock from a mill in TN yesterday and it will be delivered in SC Monday.  In the time it took them to load me, they unloaded 2 trucks of scrap paper which in a few days will be shinny new paper. So not really harming the trees in any way. 🙄  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I would hope that your decision wouldn't be based solely on the amount of mailings you receive as Oceania is one of the better cruise lines in the industry and it would be a shame to not consider them because of that.  And, as with any cruise line, their solo rate is based on, and essentially equal to, the double occupancy rate less one set of port fees and taxes.  (And while they are lower, the solo rates with those cruise lines that offer solo staterooms are still at a premium compared to the one passenger fare with double occupancy, in staterooms that are considerably smaller).

Their rates overall are higher as they are more of a premium line with many things included that are separate on other lines. I seriously doubt that those rates would change significantly based on lesser mailings. 

I think Drs/NC was not really seriously suggesting that.  I'm pretty sure it was said tongue-in-cheek.  😀  

I have several times asked to be removed from Regent, Oceania, Crystal, and Royal Caribbean's mailings and yet they still come like a tidal wave.  Regent is the worst--I get at least two 10-40 page mailers from them every month.  I never ever requested information from Crystal, they must have bought my name from a mailing list.

• Haha 1

Have you tried calling them? I did this once for a company that kept sending obscene amounts of spam and it worked for me. As for the dead trees I would hope they were using recycled paper especially if everyone is chucking their brochures into the recycling bins they could just keep churning out new brochures from the old ones again and again😜

7 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I would hope you are correct.

Haha, I'm pretty sure of it!

Anyway, I used to get those weekly brochures from Oceania, but then finally managed to get off the list.   I probably should have booked.  I mean gosh, there wasn't a week that I couldn't get a $10,000 inside for only $2,500.  Who can pass up a savings like that!   To be fair, I think all of the cruise lines play games with the brochure price, but Oceania's is kind of over the top.   

On 12/7/2019 at 10:37 PM, Shmoo here said:

It seems to me, if I've booked cruises with a company for a number of years, they should be able to figure out I know where to find them.  I don't need all that paperwork coming to my mailbox on a bi-weekly basis.

I'd love to opt of of the nicely bound, glossy BOOKS (not just brochures) that we get from Vantage on a weekly basis.  Now, I do like getting the (smaller) envelopes that offer me reduced fares if I book "by a certain date".  I hope those keep coming.

We had the same problem with Vantage.  It took several phone calls to the company, but eventually I got the glossy books reduced to 3 to 4X per year. I can live with that.