Best Spa Service Value

I am interested in tips or advice for on spa services.  I enjoy getting a massage, but the prices onboard seem to keep getting more expensive.  One strategy is to get on at the destination, but that often prevents other excursions and they are great for ocean days, if they were affordable.  $200/hr after tips seems pricey when I see about $40/hr commonly offered around the world, and in my US home town.   

Seems a shame one cant negotiate, when I see spa staff just sitting around, not working.  Do any particular lines offer better values?  Any other suggestions to get affordable work on my back (my wife doesnt seem interested in the job:-)) ?

• 3 weeks later...

You pay a premium in ANY vacation venue.  Port days are much cheaper, but that means staying on the ship at times.....I'd say to get your massage BEFORE you get on the ship....and again when you get off.....you'll spend less than 1/2 for 2 massages!

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to share a funny story...

We usually go to the gym...often times, the women from the spa are out front trying to sell massages.

We smile and say "Thanks..but no thanks"...we know it's expensive.

We had a cruise that stopped in Thailand...and we opted to visit Pattaya.

We were told to get a "four hand massage"...huh? What is that?

We decided to try it...found out two women, thus four hands, would massage you at the same time.

Cost: $10...not sure how long it was, but it was long enough.

What's funny?  The women from the spa from the ship...were also there getting massages. 😉

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/7/2019 at 12:32 PM, Pizzasteve said:

I am interested in tips or advice for on spa services.  I enjoy getting a massage, but the prices onboard seem to keep getting more expensive.  One strategy is to get on at the destination, but that often prevents other excursions and they are great for ocean days, if they were affordable.  $200/hr after tips seems pricey when I see about $40/hr commonly offered around the world, and in my US home town.   

Seems a shame one cant negotiate, when I see spa staff just sitting around, not working.  Do any particular lines offer better values?  Any other suggestions to get affordable work on my back (my wife doesnt seem interested in the job:-)) ?

Are you looking for pampering/feel good or are you looking for actual work/therapy on your back? 

I actually thought CB gave pretty good advice to find someone local at home to go to - especially if you need actual work done.  Another option is an accu-pressure mat (several on Amazon) which doesn't take up much space and you could lay on in your cabin to provide pain relief.  A foam roller is another option.  Now that I'm visiting a massage therapist once a month I don't need the mat or roller, but they did provide some relief.

If you just want the pampering aspect, then I've read attending the spa tour on embarkation day can sometimes get good deals for sea days.  It will still be pricy - and require some of your time to attend the tour - but there will be trade offs with any option.