Sleepless in Suite #5186 Eurodam

marluvs2go

7 minutes ago, IRL_Joanie said:

You were either on our ship Zuiderdam or Westerdam. We were the last 2 HAL ships closing out the Alaska Season. And we both ended up about a mile apart in the Pacific:) 

Was the door you are talking about the LIDA Aft doors?  If so, YES that was the same cruise. The Captain had shut down all outside decks and the crews had placed semi blockades to the Lido Aft so the idiot  opening and causing it's breakage had no excuse. 

Joanie

As far as I recall, the door was midship.  And quite honestly, I feel that the cruise lines have extended the Alaska cruises one week to far into the fall.  We often go in September, but even a week earlier makes a huge difference in escaping those storms.  And, the season starts much earlier, too, in recent years. 

• Like 1

We did an aft on the Kdam a couple of years ago, and I complained about it here. Same thing you're describing. I don't know if the seas were particularly bad, but I got almost no sleep from being bounced up and down and forward and backward. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/8/2019 at 3:31 PM, wesport said:

So, we are in 8162 Aft Wrap Neptune Suite for Christmas week. Hoping the Caribbean is calm. Don't plan on getting off the ship, which is why we wanted a big balcony. 

I am booked in 8162 on the Eurodam, boarding a week from Sunday, 1/26.  How was your experience with this Aft Wrap? 

(I must admit I've become nervous reading this set of posts, even though I booked this cabin intentionally after doing all the research I could on Cruise Critic and a couple other websites. I also relied on the fact that my late husband and I had the same cabin on deck 7 (7132) in 2014 for our Baltic cruise, and I don't remember any concerns about the cabin.)

Thanks very much for anything you can share.

Edited by detroit70

On 12/9/2019 at 11:46 PM, MogeyMan said:

We did an aft on the Kdam a couple of years ago, and I complained about it here. Same thing you're describing. I don't know if the seas were particularly bad, but I got almost no sleep from being bounced up and down and forward and backward. 

I've been in corner afts on Vistas and had no complaints. No vibrations, no soot. Decks 8, 7 (more than once), and 5. On one cruise, the ship was pitching in heavy seas, and we felt it more back there than if we'd been midships. But I'm one of the crazies who likes some motion, so I went up to the crows nest with the other crazies (like Joanie!) who enjoy the waves. (DH took a nap)

I was very unappy with our corner aft on Kdam (deck 7). Rolling and pitching are slow and rhythmic and I get used to them. But the motion aft on the Kdam was nothing like that. It was random shimmying from the way the azipods were working and when we had the lifting that TAD2005 describes, the ship would drop down onto a wave with a slap! bang! that was horrible. I sleep soundly, but those slaps woke me a few times. 

• Like 1

So, we were on this same exact sailing, different deck. We were aft room #8164. It wasnt an aft wrap but right next door to it. it was wonderful. sure we had a night or two of swells for a few hours, but overall we slept like babies. yes, we always choose aft and like posts above site, aft sells out quickly, and yes, we dont mind the motion of the ocean. the view is wonderful, rough seas are the trade off. you have to roll with the punches. it is a hotel at sea on a ship. you kind of have to expect some motion. they have sea calm at the front desk if you need some help with that. overall calmest seas. some days, it didnt even feel like we were moving. glorious trip. loved it. 

2 hours ago, detroit70 said:

"I am booked in 8162 on the Eurodam, boarding a week from Sunday, 1/26.  How was your experience with this Aft Wrap? "

We got to see that room, our neighbors invited us in one day. it was a lovely room. honestly they loved it so much, they didnt want to leave it. like i said, we were in #8164 and we loved it. you will too. the wrap balcony is really wonderful. enjoy!

6 hours ago, detroit70 said:

I am booked in 8162 on the Eurodam, boarding a week from Sunday, 1/26.  How was your experience with this Aft Wrap? 

(I must admit I've become nervous reading this set of posts, even though I booked this cabin intentionally after doing all the research I could on Cruise Critic and a couple other websites. I also relied on the fact that my late husband and I had the same cabin on deck 7 (7132) in 2014 for our Baltic cruise, and I don't remember any concerns about the cabin.)

Thanks very much for anything you can share.

We had one night, the first night out of Nassau where the seas were rough. Had noises behind the walls from the motion. Ship never figured out where the clanging was coming from. The rest of the entire cruise was great. We lived primarily on the balcony. Seems like for a Neptune suite, the closet storage was limited, but for a week in the Caribbean it was fine. I would do it again, no problem. Never heard much noise from the lido deck above. 

Edited by wesport
spell

Blech!  Booked an aft once - and hope to never sail in another aft cabin again!  (Unfortunately it might happen - as we usually book a  Verandah GTY)

The motion of the ocean was not good for me!  The type of wave action is just different back there.  We did have strong winds and had to cancel HMC.  I also felt like I was in the rear facing seat of a train.  I like to see where we're going, not where we've been... 

We do aft wraparounds every year - they are our first choice!  We are usually Deck 7 or 8 though - so perhaps being further away from the engines would make a difference.  We have never had the problems you've described!

12 hours ago, Iggysue said:

We do aft wraparounds every year - they are our first choice!  We are usually Deck 7 or 8 though - so perhaps being further away from the engines would make a difference.  We have never had the problems you've described!

Before Hubby started cruising alone we always booked an aft wrap around. On the Vista ships we did our best to book Deck 5 aft wraps. We never ever heard engine noise, nor any other noises.

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

On 1/14/2020 at 9:37 AM, trixiee said:

Blech!  Booked an aft once - and hope to never sail in another aft cabin again!  (Unfortunately it might happen - as we usually book a  Verandah GTY)

If you are booked in a Veranda guarantee, there little or no chance you will get an aft balcony assigned.   Those are the first verandas to be booked, and there's only about 30 of them on a Vista class ship.   We enjoy the huge size of the balcony (depth), the cabin is about 5 feet longer,  and you have a 180 degree view.

On 1/15/2020 at 5:58 PM, TAD2005 said:

If you are booked in a Veranda guarantee, there little or no chance you will get an aft balcony assigned.   Those are the first verandas to be booked, and there's only about 30 of them on a Vista class ship.   We enjoy the huge size of the balcony (depth), the cabin is about 5 feet longer,  and you have a 180 degree view.

Fortunately we received a VB cabin assignment - those balconies look pretty big too!  

34 minutes ago, trixiee said:

Fortunately we received a VB cabin assignment - those balconies look pretty big too!  

In an aft veranda, you have room for 2, full length lounge chairs, placed side-by-side facing the railing,  plus a small table in between.  Plus, you still have a few feet between the bottom of the lounge chairs and the railing.   There usually is only one lounge chair and a regular chair.   We usually ask our cabin attendant for an extra lounge chair.

Inside the cabin, you have an additional 4 feet between the night table and the couch.   In regular veranda cabins, the couch is almost touching the night table  for the bed.

Edited by TAD2005

1 minute ago, TAD2005 said:

In an aft veranda, you have room for 2, full length lounge chairs, placed side-by-side facing the railing,  plus a small table in between.  Plus, you still have a few feet between the bottom of the lounge chairs and the railing.   There usually is only one lounge chair and a regular chair.   We usually ask our cabin attendant for an extra lounge chair.

Inside the cabin, you have an additional 4 feet between the night table and the couch.   In regular veranda cabins, the couch is almost touching the night table  for the bed.

Yes, looks like my VB is as deep as the Aft cabin was.  We’re ok with a bit less cabin space, love the larger balcony! 

6 minutes ago, trixiee said:

Yes, looks like my VB is as deep as the Aft cabin was.  We’re ok with a bit less cabin space, love the larger balcony! 

Check out Cruise Deck Plans dot com.  You can get actual pictures of your cabin or similar ones next door.   

On 12/8/2019 at 5:27 PM, T8NCruise said:

As far as I recall, the door was midship.  And quite honestly, I feel that the cruise lines have extended the Alaska cruises one week to far into the fall.  We often go in September, but even a week earlier makes a huge difference in escaping those storms.  And, the season starts much earlier, too, in recent years. 

I actually like the storms at sea. I find it exciting. 

I happened to see something that made me see the light as to why your cruise was aRockin and aRollen so much. You went through or near to a BOMB CYCLONE!!!  QUOTE "A record 75-foot wave off California coast was produced by ...https://www.latimes.com › california › story › thanksgiving-week-storm-re...

2 days ago - The historic 'bomb cyclone' winter storm set records for big waves and low pressure off northwest California." UNQUOTE

We were on this sailing, and were already in the Caribbean when the above was going on so were nowhere near it. We did have one rocky night and part of the next day after leaving Cartagena, it settled down as we approached Cuba, but for the other 13 days, the sailing was very calm - it surprised me how calm it was all the way down the Pacific. We were on 4 in a VB, about halfway between the stern and aft elevators.