Michael's Club vs The Retreat

fstuff1

the Retreat is the suite/vip lounge for Edge ships.

Michaels Club is the name for the suite/vip lounge for all other class ships.

any differences?

or just a name change?

And if no differences, WHY the name change?

It could be to confuse the passengers or make them think it is something different and with more.  

Or it could be that the new CEO doesn’t like that name for associated with that lounge  as it isn’t hers.  

From my limited experience really nothing different but it’s really depends on who the host is and the BTs.

On the Equinox after the evolution they did add a self serve espresso machine, a refridge with water and soft drinks always available.  The decor and seating was a nice upgrade from what it was.  There were also chairs at the bar.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Michael's club was the original name of the lounge on all the ships.    As the revolution continues the name is being changed and ultimately The Retreat and Retreat Lounge will be the name on all of the ships.

Michael's Club 20 years ago was originally a Cigar Bar and was everything from a piano lounge to Sports Bar before ultimately ending up being a Suite's Only Lounge.   Originally the Suites Only lounge was only available for CS and above but ultimately changed to all suites.  I believe the name just signified the name of the room and "The Retreat" was a marketing game to give it more of an upscale feel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Michael's club was the original name of the lounge on all the ships.    As the revolution continues the name is being changed and ultimately The Retreat and Retreat Lounge will be the name on all of the ships.

Michael's Club 20 years ago was originally a Cigar Bar and was everything from a piano lounge to Sports Bar before ultimately ending up being a Suite's Only Lounge.   Originally the Suites Only lounge was only available for CS and above but ultimately changed to all suites.  I believe the name just signified the name of the room and "The Retreat" was a marketing game to give it more of an upscale feel.

We were told that Michael's was named for Michael Chandris son of Dimitri Chandris who started Chandris cruises. That became Celebrity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ozark74 said:

We were told that Michael's was named for Michael Chandris son of Dimitri Chandris who started Chandris cruises. That became Celebrity.

I'm glad you posted that.   I had heard a similar story but forgot the details.

It is my understanding that Michael's Club name change happens during the revolution upgrade or downgrade. Depends how you view it. MC has a bar with bar stools. The Edge Retreat does not have a bar. They will come to you. I have heard talk of Celebrity adding a bar in the Retreat Lounge. Maybe it will be like the library that was added to the Edge. See photo. The Retreat is much larger on the Edge and  Luminae is twice as large. You lose that intimate feeling on the Edge.  They added new furniture, but seems like Celebrity forgot to put arms on a lot of the chairs. Arms on chairs must have cost to much.

IMG_20190303_105119536.jpg

16 minutes ago, ozark74 said:

We have been told the same thing more than once.

While I am not convinced that re-naming this venue the Retreat Lounge will add clarity, on more than one occasion while in a Michael's Club folks have entered and asked either the MC concierge or staff working there what Michael's Club is.   With the "members only" sign I overheard folks asking how to join.  One of the MC concierges told me it happens frequently during the first few days of a cruise.

• Like 1

Michael's Club vs. Retreat Lounge. Same location, same space... different decor, different "feel". I prefer the old MC, to be honest. The RL feels... cold. And the service is not the same. One post said "they come to you"... well... if you're lucky they do. I find it very similar to airline club rooms. Go up to the bar if you want a drink. Get your own food. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We were just on Equinox and had excellent service in the Retreat Lounge and never once sat at the bar.  I liked the lighter, airier décor. It felt more open and inviting.  

We were on the Equinox in September.  The bar was busy every night. Sat there when we could get a seat. Liked the brighter look thought the hanging lights were dangerous.

48 minutes ago, MEcruzr said:

Michael's Club vs. Retreat Lounge. Same location, same space... different decor, different "feel". I prefer the old MC, to be honest. The RL feels... cold. And the service is not the same. One post said "they come to you"... well... if you're lucky they do. I find it very similar to airline club rooms. Go up to the bar if you want a drink. Get your own food. 

My sentiments exactly.  My experience with the "new, improved" suite lounge was that there was no service whatsoever.  I much preferred the previous version.  And I agree that it feels cold.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, MEcruzr said:

I also prefer the warm and inviting Michaels Club. Recently off Millennium and Retreat Lounge was not a place to hang out pre dinner and have a cocktail and listen to music. Cold and boring

• Like 1

We were on the Equinox in October. Service was slow to nonexistent. One early evening we ordered drinks from a table. We ordered the same drinks every time we were there. Bartender was serving anyone who came up to the bar first. We ran out of time to get our drinks and got up to leave to go to dinner... bartender (regular, not a sub) said you don't want your drinks, was I too slow? Well... yes, you were.  I had ordered wine, my mom a vodka tonic. It was disappointing. With a drink package you can go anywhere... the RL is not our first choice anymore. Not when the service is so slow and the atmosphere so cold. The RL is NOT an improvement on the Equinox.

• Like 1

Regardless of the name or decor what makes a great Michael’s Club/Retreat is the staff in it...

Some bar staff are outstanding, hard working and go that extra step to greet you by name, remember your favourite drink, will get you a drink not normally stocked...Service will be prompt and always delivered with a smile. 

Likewise some Concierges  will go that extra mile too. There will be a cheerful greeting, a good programme of events, a positive and quick response to any queries or concerns. The best concierges will ‘touch base’ with you throughout the cruise frequently asking if there is anything you need or want. Even if you say no they may come up with a thoughtful surprise...

We did like the decor in Equinox post refit but would happily enjoy Michael’s again...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, miched said:

It could be to confuse the passengers or make them think it is something different and with more.  

Or it could be that the new CEO doesn’t like that name for associated with that lounge  as it isn’t hers.  

From my limited experience really nothing different but it’s really depends on who the host is and the BTs.

On the Equinox after the evolution they did add a self serve espresso machine, a refridge with water and soft drinks always available.  The decor and seating was a nice upgrade from what it was.  There were also chairs at the bar.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

im on the silhouette. its due to be Revolutionized next month but it currently has a fancy self serve coffee machine.

but the bartender behind the bar wants to make it for you even though you are standing in front of it and about to make coffee.

i dont understand that?!?

Edited by fstuff1

3 hours ago, MEcruzr said:

What ship were you on that changed Michael’s to Retreat.

The Revolutionized ships now have the Retreat Lounge in place of Michaels Club: Millennium, Summit and Equinox. Silhouette is next early next year. We just returned from Equinox and liked the new décor and had a great bar tender, she even went out of her way to track down the last bottle of our favorite wine. The only time we had a problem getting a drink was on embarkation day.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

im on the silhouette. its due to be Revolutionized next month but it currently has a fancy self serve coffee machine.

but the bartender behind the bar wants to make it for you even though you are standing in front of it and about to make coffee.

i dont understand that?!?

Those Nespresso (sp?) machines have a history of breaking.  Many times on embarkation day there is a repair man in the lounge trying to fix it.

It's also about service.  The good BT's want you to just sit and relax while they do their job.   I'm with others on here who experienced the self service atmosphere on Equinox in August and was not impressed.  I just got off Summit yesterday and what a difference, excellent service in RL.

15 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

It is my understanding that Michael's Club name change happens during the revolution upgrade or downgrade. Depends how you view it. MC has a bar with bar stools. The Edge Retreat does not have a bar. They will come to you. I have heard talk of Celebrity adding a bar in the Retreat Lounge. Maybe it will be like the library that was added to the Edge. See photo. The Retreat is much larger on the Edge and  Luminae is twice as large. You lose that intimate feeling on the Edge.  They added new furniture, but seems like Celebrity forgot to put arms on a lot of the chairs. Arms on chairs must have cost to much.

That's their solution for omitting the library from the ship's plan?  How embarrassing for them.  Looks very cheesy and unsophisticated IMO.

• Like 1

About the library, yes it's shocking, it finally made me get a kindle but I confess when I have been back on ships with a nice library my heart gets excited in a good way. Originally the ship had nothing, and there are no books to buy on board. I was one of probably many who said you really should at least have a book exchange. It's something.

Concerning the bar, we were told the Apex will have a bar in the retreat where you now look at menu's on Edge.  The plan was to have service in the downstairs retreat while the bar was at the pool. It was hit and miss on the crossing. When it was good it was very good and other times you just had to go upstairs for a drink.

Edited by hulamoon

Celebrity should send its suite managers on a Yacht Club cruise on MSC.  They really know how to run a suite lounge.  Butlers falling all over themselves to serve you.  Food available all day.  180 degree window wall looking out on the ocean.  Comfortable chairs/couches one can actually sit in.  Afternoon tea is served to you, you are not expected to procure your own.  Lovely live music.  I can easily spend hours in there.  The Retreat Lounge is like a Motel 6 in comparison.  A dark, interior Motel 6.

• Like 3

"Retreat Lounge" makes it sound related to the spa somehow.  Why they just didn't call it "Suite Lounge" or something with "suite" in the name makes little sense.  That also markets it as an exclusive space to those not in suites, rather than having to turn people away constantly because they have no idea what it is.

22 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

You're kidding right? This is not really the library on the Edge? (obviously I have not sailed on Edge)