Michael's Club vs The Retreat

fstuff1

4 hours ago, go.without.you said:

I actually googled Hoppencrap (nothing came up). LOL. Looks like Edge has some design issues that they need to correct. That table and the chair not fitting under the desk is basic Cruising 101. Guess Hoppen has never cruised before. That should have been a prerequisite for the job, jus sayin.

I love the libraries on board. I always go there 1st to pick out a few books for the week. I also bring my Fire but sometimes it is too bright for me to read from it while wearing sunglasses, etc. They have a great selection and it's wonderful that people leave books behind. The average Celebrity cruiser is over 50 so you would think the library would be a keeper. 

Webster & Google are apparently not yet up to speed with these words I've coined.  😁  I hate to tell you this, but the Hoppenization and HoppenCrap is spreading to all the ships, it's not just limited to Edge.

As for the libraries and the average cruiser, Celebrity is not pitching its offering to the clients it actually has.  It is pitching to the clients it wishes it had.  So a definite disconnect between those cruising with them and the offerings.  Just off one of MSC's newer ships.  I was pleased to see it had several library areas.  The library always used to be the first place I visited on a Celebrity ship.  Now I just load up my iPad and read from that.  I prefer actual books.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Webster & Google are apparently not yet up to speed with these words I've coined.  😁  I hate to tell you this, but the Hoppenization and HoppenCrap is spreading to all the ships, it's not just limited to Edge.

I'm a naughty person. I truly wish people had used these terms during the LLP Q&A a couple of months ago

On 12/11/2019 at 12:17 PM, fstuff1 said:

i actually liked the Edge's mirrored forest.

it set the mood for Eden.
(for those that havent been on the Edge, you have to walk past the mirrored forest to get to Eden.)

I’m glad you enjoyed it. We all have different tastes and I appreciate some of the other X choices like the floor/wall murals near Michael’s and the Ensemble Lounge, Deck 5, on Silhouette and Reflection. A lot of people can walk through at the same time, enjoying the fun artwork and great atmosphere, but at the same time have decent lighting (and no trees to dodge in the dark). Those murals always make me smile.

After a few days of walking through the Edge forest more than twice daily in order to eat at Blu, have a drink or attend a gathering at Eden, the forest got really old. For me, it represented a safety hazard. 

39 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

...a TV tray? Can somebody explain this?

If I recall correctly, early on this was their solution for those who complained about the lack of a table in the cabins.  They've since added coffee tables.

7 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

If I recall correctly, early on this was their solution for those who complained about the lack of a table in the cabins.  They've since added coffee tables.

This was in a Sky Suite, I guess, based on the space in front of the sofa. I remember the early complaints about non-functional tables for the SS rooms.

I sailed on Millie’s inaugural cruise in 2000 when Michael’s Club was introduced.  As others have said it was originally a cigar lounge, very men’s clubby!  Service was great if you didn’t mind the smoke.  When Michael’s Club became the suite lounge, it remained rather dark and men’s clubby. Had the pleasure of sailing Millie shortly after it’s Edgification and much preferred the new look of the now named Retreat Lounge.  Could not understand all those who had written negative reviews of new decor.  Room was not only lighter/brighter, but furniture was extremely comfortable and service was great.  But, then Everyone likes something different.  So go yourself and form your own opinions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1