"Live from Nieuw Statendam December 8 - 22, 2019"

Crew News

1 hour ago, Crew News said:

It could be a matter of counter space.  A domed plate of biscotti takes up little space on the combined Explorations Cafe/Crows Nest Bar counter whereas the large cookies are usually kept in a glass display case that have disappeared.

Probably.

But I will volunteer to distribute them on my next cruise.

2 hours ago, IRL_Joanie said:

Better than the ship tenders we had KK when we were there:)

Joanie

It always bugged me that RCI, NCL and a couple of other cruise lines got to use the island tenders.

One time we sat out in the water over an hour waiting for the island tenders to load and unload as they had priority over the ship tenders to get ship people to shore back and forth.

The day began with a threat of rain that continued throughout the day over Cozumel but never actually happened.  Just prior to sunset the skies cleared.

Breakfast in Club Orange was crowded and I shared my 4-top table with two others.  I chose the oatmeal and also the cottage cheese/fruit plate.  Surprisingly, the amount of cottage cheese would fill a single tablespoon.  Following breakfast, I assumed control of my daily chocolate chip cookie from the Dutch Café and then proceeded to the Lido Market for a plate of sliced cheese for my late snack. I was shocked when I went for my bowl of soup for lunch and found so many passengers choosing not to go ashore in Cozumel.

My afternoon was spent taking onboard photographs of the ship and a few laps around the Promenade deck to photograph the narrowness of the deck which shrinks to two-person wide at a few points.  Three laps around the Promenade Deck = one mile.  The doors to Deck 3 are sliding on the Nieuw Statendam and do not require a really hard push needed on other HAL ships. 

When I came inside from Deck 3, I found myself at the entrance to the Deck 3 MDR at 3:00 PM tea time.  I gave it  try.  The tea served was Darjeeling and was accompanied by the choice of nine different pastries.  Counting only 35 passengers, I asked what was the normal attendance on Sea Days and was told more than 200+ each day.

A visit to my Barista friend, Michelle, revealed that Happy Hour is now being celebrated in the Crow’s Nest (4:00 – 5:00 PM) in addition to the other two bars. 

Of special note to Mariners: The Mariner discount is only applied for sodas purchased on the front sales terminal.  The side sales terminal used by the waiters will not apply the discount.

Dinner in Club Orange was lonely with only two tables occupied, meaning many passengers opted for dinner in Cozumel.

While taking photos of the indoor pool area, I noticed a tray of popcorn bags on the Gelato Counter and could not resist. I ended up staying for the movie, “A Christmas Story,” that I have seen many times on TV but never in the uncut/censored version.  Lots of new scenes and great sound effects.

Returning to my stateroom, I found a note card, “From the Desk of the Captain” replying to my message to him from CC member Despegue (Captain Tino).

Tomorrow’s schedule has my Behind the Scenes tour at 9:45 AM, Club Orange Culinary tour at 10:00 AM, Mariner’s reception at 11:15 AM, and Mariner Luncheon at 12:00 AM.  The second and third items will be dropped.  The rest of the afternoon will be taking more onboard photos and another visit to the Tamarind for dinner.

After tomorrow, I will have the entire Series A MDR menus (Caribbean 7-day cruises alternate two series of menus to provide some changes for B2B passengers), all of the Lido Market menus (lunch, dinner, and late snack), and When & Where brochures.  These should be posted before the end of the year.

I was told that wine prices would be going up in January.

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Crew News said:

I wrote a note, stating the above, for Captain Kevin and left it for him at the Front Desk.  I will post any reply.  If you would like to share your email address with him, you can post it via the Contact Tab on  my website and I will give it to him.

Please request more toots on the sail away.  Let new captain know we love to hear those dam horns as do those who watch from shore, judging by all the responding air horns.

5 hours ago, Crew News said:

After tomorrow, I will have the entire Series A MDR menus (Caribbean 7-day cruises alternate two series of menus to provide some changes for B2B passengers), all of the Lido Market menus (lunch, dinner, and late snack), and When & Where brochures.  These should be posted before the end of the year.

Oh, good.  Thanks so much.  I hope they're posted prior to our cruise, although you don't disembark until the day we embark.  But if you post earlier, we'll get a preview of meals we can anticipate enjoying on the Christmas/New Year's cruises.  Some of those days may offer different menus, but at least you're showing us dishes that could be available.  If you don't get them posted, no matter.  From some of your descriptions and photos, we're already savoring the culinary delights awaiting us.

Edited by sevenseasnomad

9 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Oh, good.  Thanks so much.  I hope they're posted prior to our cruise, although you don't disembark until the day we embark.  But if you post earlier, we'll get a preview of meals we can anticipate enjoying on the Christmas/New Year's cruises.  Some of those days may offer different menus, but at least you're showing us dishes that could be available.  If you don't get them posted, no matter.  From some of your descriptions and photos, we're already savoring the culinary delights awaiting us.

Use the Contact Tab on my website to send me an email and I will send you the daily menus that you will have for at least your first week.  It will take me one day to combine all of the menus from the MDR and Lido Market into a single menue for each day.  It is interesting to note that the menus posted to the Navigator do not include the sheet for desserts.

I will try to obtain the Christmas and New Years special menus for you.

The Indian menus are the same in 7-day increments.

9 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Please request more toots on the sail away.  Let new captain know we love to hear those dam horns as do those who watch from shore, judging by all the responding air horns.

I read this post after I spoke to the Captain on the bridge during the Behind the Scenes tour this AM.  With sail away occurring during my 5:00 PM meal time, I heard no horns.

We're doing two 17 day cruises with Holland America in the new year (Oosterdam Panama Canal and Eurodam Hawaii). Is there any way you can find out what the menus will be for those cruises?

I'm assuming they will be almost identical to each other, but would love to know what they'll be, thanks!

Edited by canadarocks

It never hurts to ask. 

The issue on this ship is that they will only provide paper copies whereas some ships will email them.  On some ships, I know the Maitre d or Hotel Director which makes menu gathering easy.  I have not established those relationships on this ship.

5 minutes ago, Crew News said:

It never hurts to ask. 

The issue on this ship is that they will only provide paper copies whereas some ships will email them.  On some ships, I know the Maitre d or Hotel Director which makes menu gathering easy.  I have not established those relationships on this ship.

I certainly understand. I'll hope for the best. If you can't share them here, I'll look for them on your website perhaps?

15 hours ago, Crew News said:

Of special note to Mariners: The Mariner discount is only applied for sodas purchased on the front sales terminal.  The side sales terminal used by the waiters will not apply the discount.

I'm sorry if I sound a little dull, but I'm not following what you're referring to for Mariner discount on sodas.  I know about the sodas from the mini bar, but also elsewhere on the ship?

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Until recently, sodas were discounted 50% in the Explorations Cafe for 4 and 5* Mariners on all HAL ships.  Some ships continue to honor that discount but some do not.  One of my efforts when boarding a new ship is to verify this discount and report on a live thread.

I learned that the discount can be used on this ship but only with counter service, not via the sales terminal used by the waitstaff.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

I certainly understand. I'll hope for the best. If you can't share them here, I'll look for them on your website perhaps?

I will be sharing every menu/brochure that I can collect but the speed of the internet makes it very difficult while on board.

Hey there! Thanks for the info! Weboard tomorrow  and expect that as 4*/NS, we'll have no issues boarding early... two questions: any Orange Party?? We were on the final voyage of the Pdam (waaah!) and while we got assurance from both ship services and boutique staff (who sold orange polos) that there WOULD be an orange party, date TBD by the captain.. . NOTHING. Yet HAL website suz every cruise! Hate to have brought my orange regalia for naught, lol. Second, do your menus include the extra-to-MDR entree promised in Club Orange? We can look at the menu each night on our own of course; had a bad experience on Westerdam where maitre'd Refused!! (Repeatedly)to show us next nights menu in case the chef might change his mind.  As a NS whose tablemate sitting next to me was shown next nights menu *every night*...thx.

Thank you Crew News for all your posts. I'm new to Holland. Not a pop drinker or a big alcohol consumer. I like a glass of wine with dinner and I'll probably enjoy a 'drink of the day special' if they have? I heard they offer a happy hour? Any idea of the best bang for my buck? I'm thinking possibly a bottle at dinner which would be one glass for each of us in our party? (4) 🙂 

Um HOLY COW I just looked at the wines offered for sale... apparently savings up to 25% if you order ahead. The Barringers I drink here is $17 bottle but $75 on the Ship. OUCH. Sorry, that's so surprising as well. We are Canadian so US funds are an additional %35 more to convert to us funds... Hmmmm deciding possibly no alcohol 😞 Waaaaaa OR each of us carry on a bottle in our carry ons? so 4 bottles reasonable (but I have to drink in my room?) plus 2 crazy $$$ expensive on the ship. 

44 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

Hey there! Thanks for the info! Weboard tomorrow  and expect that as 4*/NS, we'll have no issues boarding early... two questions: any Orange Party?? We were on the final voyage of the Pdam (waaah!) and while we got assurance from both ship services and boutique staff (who sold orange polos) that there WOULD be an orange party, date TBD by the captain.. . NOTHING. Yet HAL website suz every cruise! Hate to have brought my orange regalia for naught, lol. Second, do your menus include the extra-to-MDR entree promised in Club Orange? We can look at the menu each night on our own of course; had a bad experience on Westerdam where maitre'd Refused!! (Repeatedly)to show us next nights menu in case the chef might change his mind.  As a NS whose tablemate sitting next to me was shown next nights menu *every night*...thx.

The probable reason why a tablemate was shown a menu for the following evening is the person indicated a food allergy.  I have two food allergies, and the waitstaff insists that I select my choice for the next day's dinner that evening.  After I've made my selections by writing on that menu, I never mind sharing it with anyone around us who asks to see it.  We normally sit at a table for two.  Sometimes the menus get passed around to three or four tables.

You can sometimes get menus for the entire week if you visit the Front Desk early in the cruise.  They may or may not accommodate you.  Hope this helps.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, eculmone said:

Um HOLY COW I just looked at the wines offered for sale... apparently savings up to 25% if you order ahead. The Barringers I drink here is $17 bottle but $75 on the Ship. OUCH. Sorry, that's so surprising as well. We are Canadian so US funds are an additional %35 more to convert to us funds... Hmmmm deciding possibly no alcohol 😞 Waaaaaa OR each of us carry on a bottle in our carry ons? so 4 bottles reasonable (but I have to drink in my room?) plus 2 crazy $$$ expensive on the ship. 

I feel your pain, as a fellow Canadian  :)

We bring on 2 bottles for our cabin (free) and pay the USD18 corkage on others.  However the Mariner discount on wine packages, at this time, is really good, so we use that, too.

Edited by SilvertoGold
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, eculmone said:

Waaaaaa OR each of us carry on a bottle in our carry ons? so 4 bottles reasonable (but I have to drink in my room?) plus 2 crazy $$$ expensive on the ship. 

You can decide to pay corkage ($18 USD) and then you can enjoy the bottle in any public area on the ship - not just your room 😉 

There are some decent selections in the Sommelier packages and the price improves if you are at least 3 or 4* Mariner for the discounts 😉 

• Like 1