Cruise Critic Community
mikes

Breakaway 08/30/2020 - Leaves at 11:00pm?

Thinking of booking the Canadian/New England cruise from New York on 08/30/2020.  I see that the last cruise before this date ends on 08/28/2020 in Miami.  I assume the ship will then be re-positioned to NYC (no passengers).  Does anyone know why it doesn't leave until 11:00pm on the 08/30/2020 Cruise?  Does it arrive into NYC late on 08/30/2020.  Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, mikes said:

Thinking of booking the Canadian/New England cruise from New York on 08/30/2020.  I see that the last cruise before this date ends on 08/28/2020 in Miami.  I assume the ship will then be re-positioned to NYC (no passengers).  Does anyone know why it doesn't leave until 11:00pm on the 08/30/2020 Cruise?  Does it arrive into NYC late on 08/30/2020.  Thanks in advance!

Not sure, we need MKing to answer.

I thought it had to do with tides, but when I called the help line they assured me that we will be boarding at a more traditional time and won't be doing muster at 1am - she suggested that muster would be at 9pm.

Regardless, for those of us who want to view sail away it will be a late night.

2 hours ago, dexddd said:

Not sure, we need MKing to answer.

Hey, woohoo ... I dunno either - besides, got nothing to do with customer service, for their own (in)convenience.  OK, seriously - let me give it my spin, just a semi-educated guess - with these repo (between Miami & NY ... a little further than Port Canaveral. and no passengers onboard, just whoever is on the bridge & crew ... working, cleaning, maybe a little partying in between - on their own off-duty time).

First, sailing before midnight - NCL get to charge for that day's DSC.  Yay for FDR & stockholders.  Boo for cruise passengers.  Port charges & fees, taxes ... it's a win-win, maybe - depending on who's asked and responding.  I stay out of the mud bath & debate, etc.

Running (near) top or full speed, all ahead for NY - NCL ships generally need 2.5 days at sea to sail between these ports.  In this case, they unload pax on Friday morning in a hurry and can sail, as early as noon northward.  Some 50 - 55 hours later, hightailing on its fast run into NY Lower Bay by late Sunday afternoon or evening for a sunset arrival.  Between these 2 ports - need time to restock & provisioning, and take on inbound passengers, luggage & crew transfer (if any - to/from shore leaves or vacation) ... boarding 4,500 pax do take time, 3 to 4 hours isn't uncommon.  Pax flying in on "free" NCL Air (if any & offered/booked) should have plenty of time to make it from LGA, closest & mostly hated airport with its short 7,000 runway ... herd the late ones to the buffet, saving a few MDR meals not served, for nickels & dimes saved. 

Starting to make sense, huh.  Run the mandatory muster drill at 10:30 pm hopefully before the seniors go to sleep & the overeaten ones doze off - an on-time departure (hopefully) passing the Statue of Liberty at 11:30 pm for a late night sailing under the VZ Bridge at midnight ... hold a star-gazing party.  Extra bonus, room stewards don't need to do evening turn-down services, set it once & good until the next morning to resume regular routines ... "they" win, again.  No pom poms.  

Weather factors, rough seas, tides, CBP & PHS inspections, Right Whales sightings, etc. will simply complicate the timing further leaving at 11 pm.  Actually, there are some crazy itineraries next year - 4 nights round-trip between NY & Bermuda ...  Marketing and accounting, apparently done their financial analysis on P&L, being it return on Labor Day weekend.   

P.S. Dexddd - below / this is for you ... first, my BIL & now one of the nieces rubbing it (embarked from Spain 3 days ago) ... Mrs. M now demanding to seriously look into options for 2020 & beyond, "am in "trouble" or not)  Meanwhile, some of the early booking prices on NCL for 2020 are plain silly & ridiculous, either we find & nail some last minute ones on a good/fair price or else, stay on air-land-fly options. I know ... what you are going to tell us.  

Collage_2019-12-06_15_05_41[1].jpg

Edited by mking8288

We were on the Encore TA from Southampton to New York last month. We made it to New York in great time and could have docked much earlier but there were two ships already in port so we had to linger around at the Statue of Liberty for the sister ship Escape to depart and pass us by before we could go in to dock. We docked at about 6:30pm. The real reason we had to get to NYC the day before the disembarkation date was we had to go thru Immigration the day we arrived in NYC as the following day (disembarkation day) was Nov 11 - Federal holiday when no Gov't workers (that includes the Imm. and custom officers) did not work!

Maybe a screw up at somebody's part that the Breakaway cannot depart until close to midnight???

2 hours ago, TPgal said:

I thought it had to do with tides, but when I called the help line they assured me that we will be boarding at a more traditional time and won't be doing muster at 1am - she suggested that muster would be at 9pm.

Regardless, for those of us who want to view sail away it will be a late night.

I would say that what you were told is almost certainly wrong.

If boarding is at the usual time (which it will be unless the ship is in fact arriving late) then I would be very surprised if muster is held at 9pm. That would be a major headache for them as people would be eating or at shows etc.

Unless the ship arrives late (in which case boarding would also start late) I would expect muster to be around 4-5pm with a make up drill the next day for those who miss it.

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

...of this I am sure, I do take the info gained on a call with a grain of salt.

Muster at 4-5 would be ideal, my worry is that we'll be boarding at that time rather than at a more traditional time.   On boarding day I want to get right to it.  I have a hard time thinking of it as a 7 day cruise when day one is only a few hours, and day seven is really just a disembark event.

2 hours ago, TPgal said:

...of this I am sure, I do take the info gained on a call with a grain of salt.

Muster at 4-5 would be ideal, my worry is that we'll be boarding at that time rather than at a more traditional time.   On boarding day I want to get right to it.  I have a hard time thinking of it as a 7 day cruise when day one is only a few hours, and day seven is really just a disembark event.

Actually on a 7 day cruise you get off the ship on day 8.

3 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Unless the ship arrives late (in which case boarding would also start late) I would expect muster to be around 4-5pm with a make up drill the next day for those who miss it.

Perhaps the ship will be leaving Miami about 11 AM on Friday, and you expect it at what time Sunday in NYC?

5 hours ago, mugtech said:

Perhaps the ship will be leaving Miami about 11 AM on Friday, and you expect it at what time Sunday in NYC?

No idea.

13 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

as the following day (disembarkation day) was Nov 11 - Federal holiday when no Gov't workers (that includes the Imm. and custom officers) did not work

even thru it is a federal holiday, some workers is excluded from these holidays. airports do not close down due to federal holidays. Custom and immigration is considered key agency's and will not shut down on holidays, they might be a skeleton crew but they will still be people working to process people.

i work for the city goverment that is off on federal holidays however when duty calls and work is approved, i can work on holidays

22 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Hey, woohoo ... I dunno either - besides, got nothing to do with customer service, for their own (in)convenience.  OK, seriously - let me give it my spin, just a semi-educated guess - with these repo (between Miami & NY ... a little further than Port Canaveral. and no passengers onboard, just whoever is on the bridge & crew ... working, cleaning, maybe a little partying in between - on their own off-duty time).

First, sailing before midnight - NCL get to charge for that day's DSC.  Yay for FDR & stockholders.  Boo for cruise passengers.  Port charges & fees, taxes ... it's a win-win, maybe - depending on who's asked and responding.  I stay out of the mud bath & debate, etc.

Running (near) top or full speed, all ahead for NY - NCL ships generally need 2.5 days at sea to sail between these ports.  In this case, they unload pax on Friday morning in a hurry and can sail, as early as noon northward.  Some 50 - 55 hours later, hightailing on its fast run into NY Lower Bay by late Sunday afternoon or evening for a sunset arrival.  Between these 2 ports - need time to restock & provisioning, and take on inbound passengers, luggage & crew transfer (if any - to/from shore leaves or vacation) ... boarding 4,500 pax do take time, 3 to 4 hours isn't uncommon.  Pax flying in on "free" NCL Air (if any & offered/booked) should have plenty of time to make it from LGA, closest & mostly hated airport with its short 7,000 runway ... herd the late ones to the buffet, saving a few MDR meals not served, for nickels & dimes saved. 

Starting to make sense, huh.  Run the mandatory muster drill at 10:30 pm hopefully before the seniors go to sleep & the overeaten ones doze off - an on-time departure (hopefully) passing the Statue of Liberty at 11:30 pm for a late night sailing under the VZ Bridge at midnight ... hold a star-gazing party.  Extra bonus, room stewards don't need to do evening turn-down services, set it once & good until the next morning to resume regular routines ... "they" win, again.  No pom poms.  

Weather factors, rough seas, tides, CBP & PHS inspections, Right Whales sightings, etc. will simply complicate the timing further leaving at 11 pm.  Actually, there are some crazy itineraries next year - 4 nights round-trip between NY & Bermuda ...  Marketing and accounting, apparently done their financial analysis on P&L, being it return on Labor Day weekend.   

P.S. Dexddd - below / this is for you ... first, my BIL & now one of the nieces rubbing it (embarked from Spain 3 days ago) ... Mrs. M now demanding to seriously look into options for 2020 & beyond, "am in "trouble" or not)  Meanwhile, some of the early booking prices on NCL for 2020 are plain silly & ridiculous, either we find & nail some last minute ones on a good/fair price or else, stay on air-land-fly options. I know ... what you are going to tell us.  

Collage_2019-12-06_15_05_41[1].jpg

Figured you were out at lunch yesterday at a great Chinese restaurant and going to rub it in to us less fortunate with pictures of the awesome food.

Your relatives are going on a BRAND new ship!  Similar to Meraviglia we'll be on in just over 100 days.

Yeah, Mrs. M. Gonna get you on MSC whether you fly to Miami or take on of the few October sailings out of NYC.  Will she be retired by then?