Cruise Critic Community
Please look for and post on existing COVID-19 threads before posting a new one.
gr8fulforcruising

Read this before you book a "Guaranteed Cabin"

13 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

While the Canadian website provides pricing in CAD, there are no separate Celebrity offices here and the policies are identical. All communications are with the US offices.

In that case, OP, definitely call back, you can be switched.

Seems to me that you are getting what you paid for!  Are you suggesting that your Captains Club status should entitle you to a room better than what you paid for? 

We changed a booking from a 1A on the hump to a gty Aqua, (at the time there were no Aqua cabins available to choose). Our stateroom was assigned 9 months out and we were given an A1 with a larger balcony.

The only thing I can think of in regards to Captains Club and GTY is they were assigned a 2D cabin where they would be entitled to a 2C at the 2D price if they booked a specific room.   I know this doesn't matter as hopefully they paid less than the standard 2D rate.

6 hours ago, gr8fulforcruising said:

I understand the risk

Um, no, you obviously don't. You got what you paid for, which wasn't what you hoped for, and your Captains Club status is irrelevant when booking a GTY.  You can call again and attempt to get a better located 2D, or you can pay to get a cabin if your choice. Don't book a GTY if you won't be content with the worst cabin in that category.

Only time I booked a gty I did not like the cabin, I called my TA and she had it changed to a location I preferred within a few minutes. Another advantage of booking through a TA besides the 5 to 10% additional value TAs normally provide.

I’ve probably have booked over 20 guaranteed cabins over the last 15 years and every time I wanted to change cabins, after receiving one I didn’t care for, I just went on celebrity cruises for the uk and found a vacant one I would prefer. Then I would call my online TA and it was handled.

50 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

I’ve probably have booked over 20 guaranteed cabins over the last 15 years and every time I wanted to change cabins, after receiving one I didn’t care for, I just went on celebrity cruises for the uk and found a vacant one I would prefer. Then I would call my online TA and it was handled.

An aside, but does the UK site still list available cabins??  When I go to the uk site and do a search for a cruise, it seems to take me to the US results page format..... ??

I’m surprised that you are surprised about this. Someone has to travel in this cabin after all, and as guarantee cabins are usually less expensive than selecting your own cabin then it makes complete sense. 

We’ve booked Guarantee before, in the most recent case it was for an Aqua cabin. I was so surprised when we were allocated, an Aqua! 

Edited by Pushka

Put me in amongst those who are confused by the OP’s complaint.  He booked an Oceanview and he was assigned an Oceanview.  Nowhere in the guarantee process is there any reference to Captain’s Club status so what is the basis for the complaint?

I booked a GTY Concierge on a recent cruise and was pleasantly surprised to be allocated a cabin at the back of the ship - highest tier Concierge, but I booked GTY because it was a late booking and that was all that was available.  I was prepared for anything, and like others, I am surprised that the OP was expecting something different.

I'm from the UK and had I not been happy, there would have been nothing I could have done about it.  No ringing up several times to get a different agent for us, because it wouldn't have made any difference!  Just saying ..... that 'level playing field' is missing again .... and no way could THAT be down to different consumer laws which is occasionally mentioned (and is a red herring IMO) when we Brits mention our less favourable treatment.

12 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I booked a GTY Concierge on a recent cruise and was pleasantly surprised to be allocated a cabin at the back of the ship - highest tier Concierge, but I booked GTY because it was a late booking and that was all that was available.  I was prepared for anything, and like others, I am surprised that the OP was expecting something different.

I'm from the UK and had I not been happy, there would have been nothing I could have done about it.  No ringing up several times to get a different agent for us, because it wouldn't have made any difference!  Just saying ..... that 'level playing field' is missing again .... and no way could THAT be down to different consumer laws which is occasionally mentioned (and is a red herring IMO) when we Brits mention our less favourable treatment.

Agree. In Australia there is no way to change it once allocated. 

10 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

The only thing I can think of in regards to Captains Club and GTY is they were assigned a 2D cabin where they would be entitled to a 2C at the 2D price if they booked a specific room.   I know this doesn't matter as hopefully they paid less than the standard 2D rate.

Several years ago I booked a 2D GTY on an S class ship. A couple hours later was assigned a 2D terrible location so called Celebrity rep and he offered to put me back in GTY pool. Next day system assigns exact same cabin.  Again  called agent but this time was told it's the last guarantee cabin so back in pool,  that cabin got sold so ended up with a 2C and was able to change location last cabin on aft of ship very quiet area with huge angled balcony. The savings was over a couple hundred bucks. 

I wonder if the process of bidding for upgrades has had the effect of pushing more of the less attractive cabins into the guarantee pool of cabins. 

8 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

An aside, but does the UK site still list available cabins??  When I go to the uk site and do a search for a cruise, it seems to take me to the US results page format..... ??

yes, you can see. Select the type of cabin. Ie Veranda. Then it will come up with two options, you choose and we choose. Select you choose and it will take you to another screen. If you click on the deck number it will show you the deck plan and which cabins are available. You can choose deck view or list view. We started to be directed to the .com site after Celebrity brought in the separate perks in the U.K.  

F384BAB9-8A78-4B15-8F7B-A4E11F76A504.jpeg

101FDFC7-5A00-448D-919B-8FE08C424CFE.png

1 hour ago, kearney said:

I wonder if the process of bidding for upgrades has had the effect of pushing more of the less attractive cabins into the guarantee pool of cabins. 

Also - does that mean you find out about your guaranty assignment later, after the bidding finishes?

6 minutes ago, lawk said:

Also - does that mean you find out about your guaranty assignment later, after the bidding finishes?

Thanks for your replies my main reason to talk about this was the fact that they assigned the cabin 210 days out not the cabin. They give you the impression that you may get an better upgrade but this is not the case, It will be in the lowest category and no exceptions according to the agent. We have booked guarantees previously and got fair cabins but not told it was going to be an obstruction and take it or......

You have no complaint if you book a guarantee. You take what you get. My philosophy is to look for the worst cabin possible in the category I'm booking and ask myself if it would be acceptable. If yes, then I book, but if no, I either choose my cabin or look at a higher category. That way I can't be disappointed, but I can always be pleasantly surprised!

I would NEVER book a GTY with 210 days left before I sail. I only book it when I have no option. Being down a busy corridor or positioned in a noisy part of the ship is not worth saving a few bucks, IMHO.

I've booked guarantee cabins that were assigned almost immediately. You get what you get with a guarantee category. If you are actually willing to pay more - simply pay the difference to move up from a 2D to a 2C. I understand that you are disappointed with this guarantee assignment - but even you said you've rolled the dice and gotten better rooms in the past. It's a gamble! You can't be mad at Celebrity.

I've never book at GTY that far out either.  I have booked a veranda and a couple of times and 3-4 months out the GTY price tanked so I switched to gty and saved a ton.  Both times I was assinged decent cabins but in terrible locations.  Both times I went online found better cabins were availible in the category I was assigned so I called and asked to be switched to the better cabins, which they did. That far out I would keep checking the available cabins and if a better one opens up call and asked to be switched to that one.

Edited by TFLG

You book a gty then complain that you don't like the room.  I don't get it.  A gty just means you have a room on the ship nothing more nothing less.  If you want your pick of cabins book it with a room assignment of course you pay more.  I have done both gty and  not and Im just happy to be on ship.