Passport/Birth Certificate San Juan

necjeb

I think we are good but want to make sure. We are sailing from San Juan in mid Jan and realized our passports expires in early July. 10 days after the 6month cut off. We have birth certificate but wife has maiden name, are we good as long as take marriage license also?

15 minutes ago, necjeb said:

I think we are good but want to make sure. We are sailing from San Juan in mid Jan and realized our passports expires in early July. 10 days after the 6month cut off. We have birth certificate but wife has maiden name, are we good as long as take marriage license also?

Your passports just need to be valid until the end of your Caribbean cruise.  The Dept of State RECOMMENDS they be good for at least 6 months in case of a medical emergency preventing you from returning as scheduled. 

11 hours ago, necjeb said:

As others have said, your passport should be fine, but if you want to play it safe, you could also bring ID/BC as backup.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rukkian said:

As others have said, your passport should be fine,

but if you want to play it safe, you could also bring ID/BC as backup.  

I agree with this.

Take all sorts of backup documentation!!

Being denied boarding

has to be one of the most depressing situations I can think of.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, necjeb said:

You won't need the marriage certificate. Every spouse has their maiden name on the BC. They won't care and won't even look at the marriage license (we took ours JIC but it was not needed). They will look at the drivers license or state ID for the current legal last name. Just need a drivers license/ID (not expired & for anyone 16 or older, not required for those under 16) and a original or certified copy of birth certificate (required for all at any age) and you are GTG. I'd bring the passports as well. 

Hope that helps!  

Edited by cruisingguy007

26 minutes ago, dan4182 said:

Renew your passports now. If your renewal paperwork and pics and payment is in proper order the turn around time is 12-16 days.

I would wait to renew.  If memory serves me, you have to turn in your old passport.  I wouldn't trust that you will get it back before the cruise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dan4182 said:

Renew your passports now. If your renewal paperwork and pics and payment is in proper order the turn around time is 12-16 days.

I sent out to get my wife’s passport renewed on November 11th. We are coming up on one month since then, and every time I check the website, it says that it’s still “processing”. 

3 hours ago, Tapi said:

I sent out to get my wife’s passport renewed on November 11th. We are coming up on one month since then, and every time I check the website, it says that it’s still “processing”. 

We just did ours late summer and it took almost 4 weeks to the day

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

On a semi related subject, those who use DL to fly to cruise, after 10/1/2020, you will need an enhanced DL to travel by air domestically.

NO you wont, you will need a Real ID DL, very different from an enhanced dl that is only issued by, I think, 4 states

9 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

You won't need the marriage certificate. Every spouse has their maiden name on the BC. They won't care and won't even look at the marriage license (we took ours JIC but it was not needed). They will look at the drivers license or state ID for the current legal last name. Just need a drivers license/ID (not expired & for anyone 16 or older, not required for those under 16) and a original or certified copy of birth certificate (required for all at any age) and you are GTG. I'd bring the passports as well. 

Hope that helps!  

That is not always true. My mother-in-law had to show her marriage certificate with her birth certificate on her last cruise.