White Island erupts.

2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I can think of a couple of places where similar tours may be conducted - Hawaii, Iceland? Are there crater tours there? If so, should they all be stopped?

Yes, they do and the usual precautions are taken each day but that does not eliminate the risk of a similar event.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Cruise ships call at Rabaul and sometimes have to hose off the ash that covers the deck from the volcano. 

2 hours ago, joejoe 59 said:

Plus PNG & Vanuatu. 

Been to both just this year, kept a very respectable distance to both of them.

3 hours ago, joejoe 59 said:

No more risky then taking a helicopter tour or white water rafting. 

We did this tour on a land based trip to NZ. It was exceptional & very well run.

Er, no. The deaths did not happen because of a helicopter flight. Nor white water rafting.

It can be well-run - doesn't change the inherent risk.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I can think of a couple of places where similar tours may be conducted - Hawaii, Iceland? Are there crater tours there? If so, should they all be stopped?

Possibly, but circumstances are different for each as well. Each needs to be assessed for its own circumstances.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Er, no. The deaths did not happen because of a helicopter flight. Nor white water rafting.

It can be well-run - doesn't change the inherent risk.

What I meant was there is risk in all kinds of tour's or thing's we do. I do grasp full well that it was a volcano this time.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Esilef said:

Has she departed yet?

must be a very hard time for all the passengers & crew

Just checked marine traffic  and she is still there as of now.

Any departure timing would also be dependant on the tides, especially given her size.

Edited by boeckli

51 minutes ago, boeckli said:

Just checked marine traffic  and she is still there as of now.

Any departure timing would also be dependant on the tides, especially given her size.

I heard on the news that police had requested that Ovation stay tonight as they need to talk to passengers who saw what happened, I assume whom were on the boat which was leaving as the volcano blew. I think she is now scheduled to leave tomorrow at 11 am.

Leigh

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I heard on the news that police had requested that Ovation stay tonight as they need to talk to passengers who saw what happened, I assume whom were on the boat which was leaving as the volcano blew. I think she is now scheduled to leave tomorrow at 11 am.

Leigh

That is what I have heard mentioned as well, a later departure than tonight.

It surprises me that it could have left today. So many enquires to make first and once it’s gone, while people are still contactable, the memories will change as people onboard talk together. Then it all gets confusing. 

The reason that the Ovation has for the second day been held up in port is because late this afternoon the Police are treating the deaths as a criminal investigation. Until they complete whatever they wish to complete the Ovation may be going nowhere.

As of 9.30 tonight NZ time the 8 missing people are still on White Island. At a news conference this afternoon POlice advised they can see 6 bodies.

6 minutes ago, Beanb41 said:

The reason that the Ovation has for the second day been held up in port is because late this afternoon the Police are treating the deaths as a criminal investigation. Until they complete whatever they wish to complete the Ovation may be going nowhere.

As of 9.30 tonight NZ time the 8 missing people are still on White Island. At a news conference this afternoon POlice advised they can see 6 bodies.

It has been revised that there is no criminal investigation and the deaths have been referred to the coroner.

Currently Ovation is remaining in Tauranga overnight for on going investigations. Time of sailing currently unknown.

All burns units is New Zealand are at capacity due to the numbers needing care and it is being looked at the possibility that some could be flown to Australia for further treatment.

Some good news is one Australian lady thought to be deceased has been located in Hamilton hospital condition is unknown at present.

My thoughts are with the families and the rescuers who are dealing with the aftermath of this tragic incident.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Beanb41 said:

about 6 minutes ago 1020pm NZ time police announced that a 6th person has died from injuries received on White Island. This person was being treated in Middlemore hospital in Auckland. RIP

I fear they won't be the last one to succumb to the injuries.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

also to get dna from items from those that didnt return from crater is what i heard too

Edited by Hawka

2 hours ago, Beanb41 said:

i read 8 i have read 11 where is the 11 coming from ?? i am getting confused 

8 minutes ago, Hawka said:

also to get dna from items from those that didnt return from crater is what i heard too

That would make sense - they can get DNA from hair from brushes or from a tooth brush too. It will help identify the bodies once recovered and perhaps even those who are badly burnt.

Leigh

• Like 1

5 hours ago, joejoe 59 said:

What I meant was there is risk in all kinds of tour's or thing's we do. I do grasp full well that it was a volcano this time.

Of course there is risk in everything. But the topic is about this specific risk, not just any risk at all. And this tour had its own greater than normal risks.

• Like 2