Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Kiwi Kruzer

White Island erupts.

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Ovation of the Seas departure has been delayed ,

 

 

Marine Traffic at present shows an ETA Wellington at 05:30 tomorrow (11 Dec)

Edited by boeckli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I can think of a couple of places where similar tours may be conducted - Hawaii, Iceland? Are there crater tours there? If so, should they all be stopped?

Yes, they do and the usual precautions are taken each day but that does not eliminate the risk of a similar event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Cruise ships call at Rabaul and sometimes have to hose off the ash that covers the deck from the volcano. 

 

2 hours ago, joejoe 59 said:

Plus PNG & Vanuatu. 

Been to both just this year, kept a very respectable distance to both of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you choose to visit an active volcano or even just the area an active volcano is in you are taking on the risk of being involved in an eruption. You can only make these tours so safe in the end you are in the hands of mother nature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, joejoe 59 said:

No more risky then taking a helicopter tour or white water rafting. 

We did this tour on a land based trip to NZ. It was exceptional & very well run.

 

 

Er, no. The deaths did not happen because of a helicopter flight. Nor white water rafting.

 

It can be well-run - doesn't change the inherent risk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I can think of a couple of places where similar tours may be conducted - Hawaii, Iceland? Are there crater tours there? If so, should they all be stopped?

 

Possibly, but circumstances are different for each as well. Each needs to be assessed for its own circumstances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

 

Er, no. The deaths did not happen because of a helicopter flight. Nor white water rafting.

 

It can be well-run - doesn't change the inherent risk.

What I meant was there is risk in all kinds of tour's or thing's we do. I do grasp full well that it was a volcano this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Ovation of the Seas departure has been delayed ,

 

 

Has she departed yet?

 

must be a very hard time for all the passengers & crew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Esilef said:

 

Has she departed yet?

 

must be a very hard time for all the passengers & crew

 

Just checked marine traffic  and she is still there as of now.

Any departure timing would also be dependant on the tides, especially given her size.

Edited by boeckli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, boeckli said:

 

Just checked marine traffic  and she is still there as of now.

Any departure timing would also be dependant on the tides, especially given her size.

I heard on the news that police had requested that Ovation stay tonight as they need to talk to passengers who saw what happened, I assume whom were on the boat which was leaving as the volcano blew. I think she is now scheduled to leave tomorrow at 11 am.

 

Leigh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently they are departing 6.45am tomorrow morning.  Itinerary had been altered (no longer doing the sounds) to return home to Sydney on schedule on the 16th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I heard on the news that police had requested that Ovation stay tonight as they need to talk to passengers who saw what happened, I assume whom were on the boat which was leaving as the volcano blew. I think she is now scheduled to leave tomorrow at 11 am.

 

Leigh

That is what I have heard mentioned as well, a later departure than tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It surprises me that it could have left today. So many enquires to make first and once it’s gone, while people are still contactable, the memories will change as people onboard talk together. Then it all gets confusing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason that the Ovation has for the second day been held up in port is because late this afternoon the Police are treating the deaths as a criminal investigation. Until they complete whatever they wish to complete the Ovation may be going nowhere.

 

As of 9.30 tonight NZ time the 8 missing people are still on White Island. At a news conference this afternoon POlice advised they can see 6 bodies.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Beanb41 said:

The reason that the Ovation has for the second day been held up in port is because late this afternoon the Police are treating the deaths as a criminal investigation. Until they complete whatever they wish to complete the Ovation may be going nowhere.

 

As of 9.30 tonight NZ time the 8 missing people are still on White Island. At a news conference this afternoon POlice advised they can see 6 bodies.

 

It has been revised that there is no criminal investigation and the deaths have been referred to the coroner.

 

Currently Ovation is remaining in Tauranga overnight for on going investigations. Time of sailing currently unknown.

 

All burns units is New Zealand are at capacity due to the numbers needing care and it is being looked at the possibility that some could be flown to Australia for further treatment.

 

Some good news is one Australian lady thought to be deceased has been located in Hamilton hospital condition is unknown at present.

 

My thoughts are with the families and the rescuers who are dealing with the aftermath of this tragic incident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

about 6 minutes ago 1020pm NZ time police announced that a 6th person has died from injuries received on White Island. This person was being treated in Middlemore hospital in Auckland. RIP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Beanb41 said:

about 6 minutes ago 1020pm NZ time police announced that a 6th person has died from injuries received on White Island. This person was being treated in Middlemore hospital in Auckland. RIP

I fear they won't be the last one to succumb to the injuries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Ovation of the Seas departure has been delayed ,

 

heard wednesday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, possum52 said:

I heard on the news that police had requested that Ovation stay tonight as they need to talk to passengers who saw what happened, I assume whom were on the boat which was leaving as the volcano blew. I think she is now scheduled to leave tomorrow at 11 am.

 

Leigh

also to get dna from items from those that didnt return from crater is what i heard too

Edited by Hawka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Beanb41 said:

The reason that the Ovation has for the second day been held up in port is because late this afternoon the Police are treating the deaths as a criminal investigation. Until they complete whatever they wish to complete the Ovation may be going nowhere.

 

As of 9.30 tonight NZ time the 8 missing people are still on White Island. At a news conference this afternoon POlice advised they can see 6 bodies.

 

i read 8 i have read 11 where is the 11 coming from ?? i am getting confused 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hawka said:

also to get dna from items from those that didnt return from crater is what i heard too

That would make sense - they can get DNA from hair from brushes or from a tooth brush too. It will help identify the bodies once recovered and perhaps even those who are badly burnt.
 

Leigh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, joejoe 59 said:

What I meant was there is risk in all kinds of tour's or thing's we do. I do grasp full well that it was a volcano this time.

 

Of course there is risk in everything. But the topic is about this specific risk, not just any risk at all. And this tour had its own greater than normal risks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...