Kudos to American Queen, a Class Act

ericosmith

We recently returned from the Thanksgiving cruise on the American Queen.  I'm not much into writing reviews but I wanted to give props to how the HOHO excursions were handled on this cruise.  Our concern over what to do on Thanksgiving (other than eat) proved to be a complete non issue.  Every single stop on the HOHO route through Natchez was open for us.  That even included one run by the National Park Service.  

The next day we cruised downriver past St. Francisville to Baton Rouge.  The next day we doubled back and cruised upriver to St. Francisville and then back downriver again past Baton Rouge.  The reason was that since Baton Rouge was the State Capitol, some of the HOHO stops would be closed on a Saturday.  By burning the extra fuel and doubling back, they made sure that every stop in both cities was open for us.  

While the entire crew on the boat was outstanding, the two ladies running the Shore Excursions had to be the friendliest, hardest working duo I have ever encountered on a cruise.  They took care of everyone and are a credit to the company!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

We have just finished a 7 day cruise on the American Queen from New Orleans to Memphis. I have to say the experience was fantastic. The crew were great, the ports visited were very interesting and basically that whole trip was very memorable.....highly recommended.

Rick

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rickster50 said:

We have just finished a 7 day cruise on the American Queen from New Orleans to Memphis. I have to say the experience was fantastic. The crew were great, the ports visited were very interesting and basically that whole trip was very memorable.....highly recommended.

Rick

Thank you for taking the time to post this. It is so hard to find any info on this company and their cruises. We are booked for September 2020 Memphis to New Orleans. Do you have any recommendations for what to see and do in Memphis and New Orleans? We will be spending a few days in both cities before and after the cruise.

Any other insights into the cruise will be appreciated.

In Memphis we did a full day tour with Memphis Best Tours.  The morning was an overview of Memphis and the afternoon was Graceland.  Other than that we did the Civil Rights Museum and Sun Studios, both of which I highly recommend.  

In New Orleans we did the WWII Museum which is outstanding. We also did Mardi Gras world which was a fairly short, but interesting tour. 

We didn't spend a lot of time in either city

On 12/30/2019 at 8:37 AM, adstz said:

Thank you for taking the time to post this. It is so hard to find any info on this company and their cruises. We are booked for September 2020 Memphis to New Orleans. Do you have any recommendations for what to see and do in Memphis and New Orleans? We will be spending a few days in both cities before and after the cruise.

Any other insights into the cruise will be appreciated.

My mom and I went to Preservation Hall to hear some jazz in New Orleans and both really enjoyed it.  The venue is small and intimate.  We paid extra for the guaranteed seats.  https://www.preservationhall.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1