Shuttle Bus & Select fare Ijmuiden To Amsterdam

janny444

I am wondering if shuttles to Amsterdam would be included for later cruises which have not been advertised as calling in Amsterdam.  That length of shuttle transfer is usually an 'On Your Own' paid for transfer, rather than a free shuttle, even if on Select Fare.

True - but that kind of assumes that your arrival port is a “destination” where you can either spend your time being a tourist or get local transport links, not a place with huge industrial installations, chemical works and the like

IJmuiden might be a nice call for a beach day, at the right time of year.  We enjoyed our fine, bright, dry day in October, just walking a long way along the coast.  Nothing was open, of the fast food, beach goods, restaurants.  There’s not enough of them to cater for a ship full anyway.

There is a bus stop, with a local bus to Amsterdam. Iirc it’s about an hourly service.  Goodness knows how long it takes.  No taxi rank

Sorry, long, rambling answer.  In brief, I’m not sure it would be fair to charge a high shuttle fare but you are right, the distance is comparable to other destinations which offer “on your own” coaches

We’ll find out, no doubt.

IJmuiden shuttles are free to all at the moment and I can’t see them changing...until P&O decide otherwise IJmuiden has a small beach and the other side is a medium Port Talbot steelworks. The port is basically a large lump of concrete with no facilities...at all.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, hansol1966 said:

IJmuiden shuttles are free to all at the moment and I can’t see them changing...until P&O decide otherwise IJmuiden has a small beach and the other side is a medium Port Talbot steelworks. The port is basically a large lump of concrete with no facilities...at all.

When we were at Ijmuiden I thought of Port Talbot steel works as well! You must be Welsh. 😂

19 hours ago, tring said:

I am wondering if shuttles to Amsterdam would be included for later cruises which have not been advertised as calling in Amsterdam.  That length of shuttle transfer is usually an 'On Your Own' paid for transfer, rather than a free shuttle, even if on Select Fare.

Most of the “on your own” ones do however have a decent little local town to visit as an alternative to the named place. As others have said there is nothing to see or do at this port.

That does not however mean that you are wrong, in fact I think it may well change once the marketing has been updated.

That’s one of the things that annoyed me about Princess this year - we docked about 20 minutes drive from Copenhagen and they wanted to charge us $19.95 each for a shuttle!! The port for La Rochelle is that far away and P&O don’t charge if you pay select.

We won’t book Amsterdam on P&O strangely unless from IJmuiden as the shuttles are free and unlimited as against Rotterdam tour/Shuttles are £40 per person...for us £120 for one trip. Rotterdam should also be a free shuttle service to Amsterdam in my opinion.

9 hours ago, hansol1966 said:

My outlaws live in Bridgend near to Port Talbot steelworks. At night looks like Vegas.

Yes, I often look at Vegas and think it is just like Port Talbot.. 😊

We have similar down here.. If you look across from the Isle of Wight, Portsmouth, with the Spinnaker Tower, looks like Dubai... 😊

Andy 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hansol1966 said:

We won’t book Amsterdam on P&O strangely unless from IJmuiden as the shuttles are free and unlimited as against Rotterdam tour/Shuttles are £40 per person...for us £120 for one trip. Rotterdam should also be a free shuttle service to Amsterdam in my opinion.

The difference with Rotterdam is though , that it is a destination in its own right ( unlike IJmuiden). There is lots to see and do there, and the ships dock close enough to the centre to walk in for those with good mobility .. although a free shuttle into the city centre is provided as well by the local authority.

• Like 1