Buffet food

Joelocal

I am wondering if any fo you do the same as me.

I walk through the buffet  to get an overall look at what I might want to try.

I would say 90% of what I look at is a "Nope". It's just something that doesn't look appetizing, flavorful, or the presentation is off.

But I do usually find something. Fix you own salad,  the carving station, And the omlet station with choice of toast for breakfast.

Does anybody like chicken sausage?

I agree. The salads are usually the most interesting. There were some good "small bites" at lunchtime on sail days on the last Holland America cruise. I generally don't stand in line for the hot food- it's giant portions of bland food. 

Absolutely, a walk through of the buffet restaurant before deciding what to select is needed.  The larger the ship's restaurant, the more difficult it becomes to do.  I found the Horizon Court/Horizon Bistro arrangement on Royal Princess to be extremely confusing for a first time guest on the ship.  During my initial walk through, I'd see an item that I would like.  Then, trying to find it again!  Where in the heck is it when I wanted to get it?

• Like 1

My friends at the Vessel Sanitation Program advise that the buffet on a cruise ship is one of the best locations to contract Norwalk Virus - especially during the first 48 hours of a cruise.

So I visit the buffet (without touching anything), observe the people raised by wolves who are trying to get me sick, then go to one of the restaurants to eat.

Later in the cruise, after the initial wave of sick people has recovered, I might visit the buffet for a snack - but I get there as soon as they open, to avoid all the cross-contamination that is about to take place.

We try to avoid the buffets as much as possible.  HAL has servers that hand your food for the majority of the items.  Sadly the restaurants are closed on port days which doesn't leave too many choices for lunch -- thus we do try to eat ashore.  We are also not fans of pizza or hamburgers or hot dogs -- they are just not our thing.

survey the offerings first so as not to hold up fellow cruisers while I decide. I get what I need in small amounts, if I like it I go back for more. Today's cruise line buffets cover a large portion of needs, wants and desires including  tofu,  it  was the  most interesting sausage I've tried .  

On 12/21/2019 at 4:04 AM, clo said:

Here's a photo from the Terrace Cafe (their buffet venue) on Oceania.

Image result for oceania terrace cafe"

And IIRC every dinner had lobster tails, large shrimp, steak, etc. cooked to order.

Absolutely. And cooked perfectly. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, clo said:

Absolutely. And cooked perfectly. 

And honestly that was a bit surprising. Some things are easily overcooked but not the case there. One day at lunch they had a cheese 'stuffed' lamb burger that came out the perfect medium rare that I had asked for.

• 3 weeks later...