No more luggage delivered to cabins on Royal?

denamo

The last cruise we were on was Ovation last April. We had 8 bags between the 6 of us. We found 5 of them in the hall while we were walking to our cabin and drug those ones down. The other 3 were brought to the cabins later that night. One was left outside the cabin door of my kids' room, they had the do not disturb sign out. The other two were left inside my mother in laws cabin (both were hers). 

I am rather impatient so if I see my bag in the hall I am going to take it.  However, I have no intention of searching the ship for it, unless it after dinner and still missing. 

Edited by 3monkeys4me
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

The conversation just illustrates a decline in service. We’ve been cruising for more than 30 years and in the early years (on RCCL) luggage was always delivered inside the cabin. Then at some point it seems it was left at the cabin door. Now it can be somewhere in the hallway (often no where near the cabin). 

At this point are simply happy to find the luggage and roll it to the cabin. 

m

I disagree.  The COST for a cruise has come down CONSIDERABLY in that period of time, so you're not comparing apples to apples.

I haven't been on any of the luxury lines myself, but I daresay that if you pay a crap-ton more money, you get the kind of service we had back in the 80s (when we were also paying a crap-ton more money).  

You get what you pay for... if you want your luggage to always be delivered inside your room like it was in the 80s, you should expect to be paying (in inflation-adjusted dollars) as much as you were paying in the 80s. 

• Like 2

On 12/9/2019 at 9:17 PM, FireEMT978 said:

We just noticed this on our October Harmony cruise.

We chalked it up, to the entire "Harmony Experience" that we had.

We had ours delivered to the hallway outside the cabin on our recent Harmony cruise and others over the last months and years!

21 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Personally we carry our own cases off the ship and would carry them on ourselves if we were allowed.

If I see our cases which are quite noticeable with pink straps with Paulines name on anywhere in the corridor I will take them back to our cabin.In fact I often walk around the corridors looking for our cases if they have not turned up by 3pm as Pauline likes to get unpacked.

I assume the reason you are not allowed to carry your own bags on is because the bags are too big to fit through the scanner

I remember on cruises 20 - 30 yrs ago, we usually won't get our bags outside our door until 6 - 7 pm, well past departure from pier time, so always a little worried.

Last few cruise last 2 - 3 yrs, noticed that our bags start arriving around 2 - 4 pm in the hallway, so right before going to, or coming back from muster drill.  I peeked into one the crew's service elevator shaft (not for passengers), they had tons of luggage staged there, & a few being left outside the hallway.  I'm sure the next crew shift will deliver those directly outside of our cabins shortly.  

I like this method much more, since we can cruise our hallway early & most times our bags are somewhere there in the hallway...

We are new to cruising, so wasn't aware that the luggage would be delivered to our cabin.  To those who have it placed inside your cabin what time did you notice it there?

In our three cruises, we are among the first to board anxious to get the vacation started.  Once the announcement the cabins are ready, we head to the cabin then or after I finish my drink.  We wipe the surfaces down with a cleaner wipe and checkout the cabin, unpack the carry on bag, next step is to look for our luggage.  The first two times, I found them in the hallway a 10-20 feet from our cabin, if they all weren't there I'd unpack the ones i had then go look for the last one or two bags.  On the Majesty last April, I think I found one bag in the hallway several rooms away, went looking for the other ones and found them in the elevator lobby being staged with other bags, so I grabbed them and rolled them to our room.  Within an hour of the cabins becoming available, we are unpacked and heading out to enjoy the ship.  I prefer to grab my bags as I see them (1) to make sure someone doesn't think it's theirs and (2) get everything unpacked and put away to minimize wrinkles and have my room organized.

On 12/10/2019 at 6:47 PM, vacationlover_mn said:

Honestly, we are antsy, and head to our cabins as soon as the doors are opened.  So for our last maybe 4 cruises, we just see our luggage in the hall and grab them 🙂

That sounds like a good idea.  We also go out and check the luggage in the halls periodically and our stateroom attendants have also found them.  

I have found the wide responses to this thread interesting.  Being the OP, it wasn't my intention to suggest luggage be left inside the cabin.  Previously, we would have our luggage outside of our cabin door. Hasn't been the case recently.  We've even seen other cruisers looking for their luggage later in the evening on the deck.

Curiosity was my main focus.  Just wondered if this was a new practice to place luggage on the deck on the luggage tag rather than outside cabins.  We have no issue or concern to get it. 

We'll be on the Allure in January.  Will be interesting to see.

17 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

I remember on cruises 20 - 30 yrs ago, we usually won't get our bags outside our door until 6 - 7 pm, well past departure from pier time, so always a little worried.

Last few cruise last 2 - 3 yrs, noticed that our bags start arriving around 2 - 4 pm in the hallway, so right before going to, or coming back from muster drill.  I peeked into one the crew's service elevator shaft (not for passengers), they had tons of luggage staged there, & a few being left outside the hallway.  I'm sure the next crew shift will deliver those directly outside of our cabins shortly.  

I like this method much more, since we can cruise our hallway early & most times our bags are somewhere there in the hallway...

This.  My first cruise in 2014 came with the advice here on CC, that your bags might not arrive until after dinner and would be placed outside your door.

Now people are complaining that their bags are not inside their rooms around muster drill time.

Maybe people need to relax and let the crew have the time to fully distribute the luggage.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, molsonschooner said:

I assume the reason you are not allowed to carry your own bags on is because the bags are too big to fit through the scanner

Not really.  Twice, we have had all of our luggage, including 1 25" suitcase and 1 large garment bag, scanned through the regular security scanners.  On both occasions we were Star Class and asked to have our luggage accompany us since the SC process had failed us miserably a number of times in the past.  The regular scanners can accommodate even the largest luggage.  I believe the reason that they do not allow you to take all of your luggage with you is that it is just too cumbersome and there just wouldn't be enough room for everyone and all of their luggage to get about the ship prior to rooms being ready.  Elevators would be a nightmare.

2 hours ago, SRF said:

This.  My first cruise in 2014 came with the advice here on CC, that your bags might not arrive until after dinner and would be placed outside your door.

Now people are complaining that their bags are not inside their rooms around muster drill time.

Maybe people need to relax and let the crew have the time to fully distribute the luggage.

I didn’t notice anyone complaining that their luggage wasn’t inside their cabin. 

I certainly don’t expect it.

I’m used to the old days when we’d come back from what we used to call the lifeboat drill hoping our luggage would be in the hall by our door. 

I think deep down was the fear of sailing away while it sat behind a door in the terminal. 

It’s still a relief for me to see my luggage safe, sound, and dry. 

I don't care if the luggage is left inside the cabin or outside. Nor do I care of it's delivered at 2:00 pm or after dinner. But I would like for it to at least be delivered together.

Last cruise (Liberty)  traveled with 4 bags. 2 bags were left outside our door by 1:30 pm (nice!!), a little later a third bag was found 10-12 cabins down the hall, kinda in a no-man zone between cabins while the 4th bag didn't arrive until much later that evening, causing a few hours of angst wondering of all our toiletries have been left behind on the pier. It was 2 big suitcases case and 2 small but there was no rhyme or reason as to the order in which they were delivered.

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

I don't care if the luggage is left inside the cabin or outside. Nor do I care of it's delivered at 2:00 pm or after dinner. But I would like for it to at least be delivered together.

I agree but I'm still amazed that on a direct flight I can check two bag. One comes off on the baggage carouse at the beginning and the second not till the end 😄 

Edited by Tulsacoker
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, RFerrington said:

Not really.  Twice, we have had all of our luggage, including 1 25" suitcase and 1 large garment bag, scanned through the regular security scanners.  On both occasions we were Star Class and asked to have our luggage accompany us since the SC process had failed us miserably a number of times in the past.  The regular scanners can accommodate even the largest luggage.  I believe the reason that they do not allow you to take all of your luggage with you is that it is just too cumbersome and there just wouldn't be enough room for everyone and all of their luggage to get about the ship prior to rooms being ready.  Elevators would be a nightmare.

It's never a problem taking our own cases off the ship when it is very busy on disembarkation morning.

If we are forced to leave our luggage with porters at 11am next to the ship surely we can not be expected to wait till after muster for our cases to travel the short distance to our cabins.