Cruise Critic Community
steve4031

49 dollar laundry for 7 day cruise: Per day or per week

I was looking through the various parts of HAL's website under my cruise booking and I saw the option to purchase this for my Alaska Cruise.  49 dollars unlimited wash and fold laundry for the week seems too good to be true based on what I have paid in the past on Carnival and other cruise lines.  

I also noted that I could purchase onboard credit ahead of time.  It would be nice to have the entire amount paid off before the cruise.  Are there potential problems that I need to be aware of in doing things this way?

As always, thank you.  

The $49 is for the entire week. We just used it last week on our cruise and it’s a great value. 

I also purchase on board board credit ahead of time to make sure everything is paid for up front. It works out perfectly. My end of cruise bill for last week was less than $40 after all my on board credit was applied. 

Laundry on HAL is amazing.  Highly recommend it!   Purchasing OBC is a great way to have your cruise all paid for before.  Also, purchased OBC would be refundable if you did not, for some reason, did not use it all.  

Yes, it is a wonderful amenity, but don't give them anything that is the least bit delicate. I always pack cotton polos, tshirts, jeans, khakis that have been washed many times. I only pack what I will not be upset if it gets ruined. After so many HAL washings, clothing becomes much thinner.  With that being said, I highly recommend the service. 

After using the unlimited laundry on HAL for the first time 8 years ago, I've bought it every time since. They do a wonderful job and we've never had any issues.

This mom here agrees. A must for our family vacations. So much less laundry to do when we get home. 

I used it for b2b cruises in October.  Wonderful.  Also makes it easier to pack less.  I even had it back the same day if I had it out for stewards when they came in to do morning “tidy.”

It actually works out cheaper than paying for baggage on your flight.

Love finding the little laundry tags a couple of months later! 

Even though you pay $49 for 7 days of unlimited laundry, you cannot send out any laundry bags on your 7th day.  For example, you are cruising Saturday to Saturday.   The last laundry bag you can send out would be Thursday, preferably in the morning.   You cannot send out any bags on Friday, your 7th day, because it would not be back until after you have disembarked on Saturday morning.   But it is still a great deal !!   

Edited by TAD2005

This sounds like such a good deal. Just curious though, is there also offered a "stuff a bag" type deal? We have an 11 day coming up (Koningsdam) and thinking we might just have a few things to send out mid cruise. If we have to pay per item, the per day price might still work out better for us.

Yes, one can stuff a bag.  I believe the price for that is $20/bag. If one is travelling in Europe, the price is higher, maybe $25 or $30/bag.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

I did not know HAL offered a laundry deal now.  This will be a great deal for us as we are doing a land tour first along with extra nights in Seattle and Fairbanks.  I was not sure what ourlaundry plan was going to be.  This will be well worth the $49 and we will have a big pile for them as soon as they except it.  My guess is sometime on Monday as we embark on Sunday.

And just a note, we bought the $49 laundry package on a 1 week Caribbean cruise and used it twice. But I could have done the stuff the bag once for $20.. I did not realize how much you can get in that bag! 

28 minutes ago, bvocruise said:

I did not know HAL offered a laundry deal now.  This will be a great deal for us as we are doing a land tour first along with extra nights in Seattle and Fairbanks.  I was not sure what ourlaundry plan was going to be.  This will be well worth the $49 and we will have a big pile for them as soon as they except it.  My guess is sometime on Monday as we embark on Sunday.

HAL has offered the unlimited or by the bag options for some time.  I've been cruising with HAL for more than 13 years and it's been offered on every cruise.  Your laundry will be accepted as early as Sunday evening.  Put it out before you go for dinner and it will be taken during the turndown service that evening.

52 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Put it out before you go for dinner and it will be taken during the turndown service that evening.

Agreed. If you need to send more than one bag, your steward can provide more right away. 

On the last cruise, we specified cold water and low dry.  Our underwear came out fine. 

We get our laundry prepared before we go to breakfast daily.

Edited by knittinggirl

We have a 44 day cruise coming up. I have not seen anything on the HAL web site about laundry. Where should I look? Any special prices for an extended trip?

DD

59 minutes ago, DoggyDaddy said:

We have a 44 day cruise coming up. I have not seen anything on the HAL web site about laundry. Where should I look? Any special prices for an extended trip?

DD

We have a 42 day cruise coming in March and we still paid $294, or $49 per week. 

1 hour ago, DoggyDaddy said:

DD

I don't believe there is any information about the laundry service on the website.  To pre-purchase it, you can call Ship Services.  Otherwise, just wait until you get onboard.  The form and laundry options/prices will be with the laundry bag, likely in one of the closets.  No special pricing for longer itineraries; the standard cost of unlimited is $7 for each day of the cruise or $9/day if you're sailing in Europe.

You can book online.Go to Already Booked, find your booking, go to Itinerary, then go to your first cruise day, click on Indulgences, under gifts and indulgences click on packages. Laundry is there.