NCL Shareholder Benefit - what is it?

nhtravels

I keep reading about people who have taken the Shareholder benefit for OBC.  How much of NCL stock is needed to be able to receive this?  Wondering if it's a good value, as we are looking to expand our slightly growing portfolio.  How does it work?  How long do you need the stock in your account for before you can apply receive the OBC?  (We are cruising the Bliss in May and possibly Encore in August).

TIA-

You tie up $5500 on non-dividend paying stock. If you cruise periodically, it is an ok benefit. (We Cruise multiple times a year so it is valuable to us - $100 for a 7-day Cruise). 

You could buy the stock, cruise, and sell the stock. You would have to deduct your brokerage fees from the benefit for your net gain. 

• Like 1

NCLH is the stock symbol, and it's considered a large cap stock. I count NCLH as part of my large cap stocks in my portfolio, and bought the qualifying 100 shares last year. If your stock account is with Fidelity, Vanguard or Charles Schwab you can buy the stock and pay only what their fee is for large cap stocks (typically $4.95 or $7.95).

• Like 1

We just purchase the stock long enough to get a statement from the brokerage to document our ownership, then sell as soon as possible after the cruise to still make a profit.   With the seasonal swings in the stock price, we have generally been able to clear at least $3/share.   Look up the history, it could easily drop to $45 and swing back to $55.   Just do not get greedy.

We purchased ours years ago as an investment even though we got no dividends. We have enjoyed the $100 OBC as we do sail a few times a year. A few months ago we decided to hold on to our original investments so we could get our OBC and cashed out our profits. We did ok, have never considered purchasing and then selling just to get the $100 but that is a pretty smart idea. Now that are sailing days are ending we may just sell and get something that does pay dividends. Regardless we have made money over the years so have no complaints. 

Under Restrictions it says you must choose the shareholder benefit and any other offer. Is the Free at Sea considered another offer? In other words...can I use the shareholder benefit and still keep the free at sea offers? We are doing a back to back Asia cruise in 2021, and my son is going on a cruise in January, we are both shareholders, my son says you can't keep both, but I'm wondering if they can be used together. Thanks

My stocks are for investment-   Not any other reason.   At the current price my investment standard would require at least 5 double occupancy 7-14 day cruises every year.   ( which some do But many don’t).    Flipping stocks isn’t always going to result in gains,  also can be taxes involved.    So consider carefully-  why the purchase?   I think some people purchase just to brag about it???     

If you don’t take the investment required number of cruises-  you are loosing money.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

My stocks are for investment-   Not any other reason.   At the current price my investment standard would require at least 5 double occupancy 7-14 day cruises every year.   ( which some do But many don’t).    Flipping stocks isn’t always going to result in gains,  also can be taxes involved.    So consider carefully-  why the purchase?   I think some people purchase just to brag about it???     

If you don’t take the investment required number of cruises-  you are loosing money.    

I have specific percentages of large, mid and small cap stock funds. NCL is part of my large cap section of my portfolio. So it doesn't "cost" me anything or take away from anything else. Because it's such a small part, whatever risk category it fits into doesn't matter. It literally is less than one-tenth of one-percent of my investments.

I always apply for and take the $100 OBC. It pays for any drinks or gambling we do on board.

On 12/10/2019 at 4:12 AM, nhtravels said:

I keep reading about people who have taken the Shareholder benefit for OBC.  How much of NCL stock is needed to be able to receive this?  Wondering if it's a good value, as we are looking to expand our slightly growing portfolio.  How does it work?  How long do you need the stock in your account for before you can apply receive the OBC?  (We are cruising the Bliss in May and possibly Encore in August).

TIA-

100 shares in ira will do.

Benefit of $100.00 obc for a 14 night cruise.

RCL benefits of $250.00 for 14 nights. I have both stocks. RCL is up like 200 % from purchase during a dip in the market a few years ago.

We enjoyed RCL Cruise in the past and Ncl as well.

Ncl -It’s a stock to hold but I don’t know how much it’s going up. Not a lot is my guess.  Contact Ncl stock benefits department and wait for a stock market dip if you can afford it otherwise it’s risk reward is not much.

• Like 1