Advice Needed

Lars5

I am looking at booking a 5 night Royal Caribbean Alaska Getaway. Ports are Icy Strait and Sitka. My husband and I have cruised the inside passage previously, but we will cruising with friends who have never cruised before. We chose the 5 night since the date worked and we thought it would be good for a "starter" cruise for them. (Any my husband and I did not want to do all the same ports we have done previously).

Being the organizer, I am of course nervous! I want it to be a good experience for them! Will we miss out on too much by not doing the traditional ports - (but they could go back and still have new ports to visit some day?). Will a one time sailing 5 night cruise have the same activities and  good service that a weekly sailing would have? We have never cruised RCCL before. How rough will waters be outside as opposed to inside. Is the end of May too early to do Alaska? Are we making a mistake???? (Can you tell I'm over thinking this? Ha!) Help!! 

This cruise certainly gives your friends a taste of what sea days are like - there isn't a lot of time spent in ports.  The itinerary also doesn't have any glacier visits.  I get the appeal of visiting Icy Strait Point and Sitka, but there is so much more to see in Alaska.

If time isn't a factor, what about the 8 night Celebrity Solstice cruise that starts  in Vancouver, BC on May 21, and visits Icy Strait Point, Skagway (as opposed to Sitka), Juneau, Ketchikan and Dawes Glacier and ends in Seattle.  This cruise is also at the end of May.  It is probably more money, but there are more port-of-calls.

• Like 1

Late May-early June was the only time that works for both of us. This was the only option I could find that didn’t visit all the ports we’ve already been to. I’m probably just seeking reassurance that we aren’t making a mistake! 

<<<    (Any my husband and I did not want to do all the same ports we have done previously).  >>>

<<<   (but they could go back and still have new ports to visit some day?)  >>>

Sorry if this sounds mean, but your reasoning sounds quite selfish.  YOU'VE seen the usual ports already so it's ok to short-change your friends since they can go back some other time??  

Perhaps this is why you're second guessing your choice.  

• Like 1

At the very least you should do a 7 day cruise that visits a glacier area.  There are plenty of things to do in the main tourist ports so a second visit shouldn't be an issue for you.  A cruise on the Holland Eurodam would take you to Icy Strait Point and Sika along with Juneau, Ketchikan, and Glacier Bay National Park.

Those two sea days the 5 day RC cruise does (40% of the cruise) will be in the Pacific Ocean and if seas are rough there's a good chance your friends will never cruise again.  Also don't let some loyalty cruise program dictate which cruise line you use for Alaska.  Princess and Holland do Alaska the best.

Edited by Oakman58

I would not introduce friends to cruising with an inferior schedule. I would choose a 7 night cruise with a glacier.

There is so much to do in ports - no problems repeating them (for you).

May is a good month.

I would definitely rethink this cruise. I wouldn't do that to friends.

Edited by Coral