Traditional Dining Question

ilovethesparkles

Check with the maitre'd when you first board and he might be able to give you a small table (if you aren't assigned to one already). One of the pleasures for us though is meeting new people and dinner is a good time for that, but we have ended up at a table for two at least half the time.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ilovethesparkles said:

We have always had your time dining, and for the Christmas cruise on the Dream we booked in 2 weeks we could only get late dining. Is it possible to request a private table for my husband and I for dinner or are they all only large shared tables? 

Get there before the doors open and ask. 99% of the time, no problem. We always ask for a table for two near a window. Never been turned down.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Get there before the doors open and ask. 99% of the time, no problem. We always ask for a table for two near a window. Never been turned down.

They are not on Anytime Dining. They are assigned to late dining. What Sparks suggested about seeing the Maitre`de as soon as he/she is available is the best choice they have.

I am cruising a B2B on the Magic in April for my 50th Anniversary. It is April 5&11. We invited family to join us for the second leg, as we knew grandchildren would be out of school for Easter Break. As of now, only one son has booked, but I’m afraid they will cancel, as they have not paid for it yet, and haven’t booked any excursions. My question is, we are on YTD for first leg, since we are alone, and that’s our preferred choice, but have Early Dining for second leg , thinking it would be easier if 25+ family members booked. Can we get this Early dining changed to YTD if this son does cancel? And if so, how would I go about that? 

9 hours ago, grandmarnnurse said:

I am cruising a B2B on the Magic in April for my 50th Anniversary. It is April 5&11. We invited family to join us for the second leg, as we knew grandchildren would be out of school for Easter Break. As of now, only one son has booked, but I’m afraid they will cancel, as they have not paid for it yet, and haven’t booked any excursions. My question is, we are on YTD for first leg, since we are alone, and that’s our preferred choice, but have Early Dining for second leg , thinking it would be easier if 25+ family members booked. Can we get this Early dining changed to YTD if this son does cancel? And if so, how would I go about that? 

If you sign into your booking, look for preferences and you can change from a set dining time to your time. 

Edited by TOMTOMRN331
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TOMTOMRN331 said:

If you sign into your booking, look for preferences and you can change from a set dining time to your time. 

Probably the easiest thing to do right here. You should know by final payment date if they are going or not so should have more than enough time to make the change.

10 minutes ago, ilovethesparkles said:

Thank you all for the info! Now for a dumb question.... Where can I find the maitre'd? I have never needed to talk to them before. 😸

He meets in one of the dining rooms on embarkation day starting around 1pm.  Go about 15 min early to beat the line

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ilovethesparkles said:

Thank you all for the info! Now for a dumb question.... Where can I find the maitre'd? I have never needed to talk to them before. 😸

The time and location is usually listed in Fun Times. You can get a copy of one at Guest Sevices as soon as you board the ship.  

• Thanks 1

If Anytime Dining is available, then you can request that online. Then just book for 2 via the app. 

If it's not available, then you can call your TA, or Carnival if you booked direct, and ask to be waitlisted for Anytime. 

If that doesn't work, then you can email the Matre D about a week before your cruise.

And if all else fails, you can find him during lunch in the MDR make your request to him. 

On 12/11/2019 at 6:41 PM, grandmarnnurse said:

Addition to above: Is this even allowed—Changing dining choice? And if not, we do not want to sit at a shared table. This is our 50th Anniversary! Lol! Not very romantic sitting with strangers! 

We have never sat at a table for two or even seen any.  From reading posting on the subject for over nineteen years, it seems that those tables for two are placed real close together.  So close together that you can hear everyone else's conversations better than the one sitting across from you.  Probably to the point that a romantic meal is out of the question.  😥

Edited by RWolver672
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

We have never sat at a table for two or even seen any.  From reading posting on the subject for over nineteen years, it seems that those tables for two are placed real close together.  So close together that you can hear everyone else's conversations better than the one sitting across from you.  Probably to the point that a romantic meal is out of the question.  😥

This has been our experience, the tables are usually separated by a few inches and are glorified tables for 4 (and sometimes 6 depending on where in the dining room you are). This is something that we've experienced on all three lines that we've sailed.

Yes....the majority of tables for 2 are larger tables split with a foot or so on each side.  While it isn't perfect it is much better than sitting at a table with random strangers.  There are several 2 tops spread out on their own throughout the dining room though if you are lucky to get one.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ray98 said:

Yes....the majority of tables for 2 are larger tables split with a foot or so on each side.  While it isn't perfect it is much better than sitting at a table with random strangers.  There are several 2 tops spread out on their own throughout the dining room though if you are lucky to get one.

That is precisely how we feel. I have zero desire to sit with strangers!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

That is precisely how we feel. I have zero desire to sit with strangers!

Yup.  Out first cruises were prior to the move away from traditional dining.  We had some miserable experiences and one particular family had us in the buffet 50% of the time.  I would much rather have conversation with my wife instead of mindless chatter with strangers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ray98 said:

Yes....the majority of tables for 2 are larger tables split with a foot or so on each side.

this, not inches, as you could not get up and leave. We met some people at YTD sitting a foot or so away and became friends 

15 minutes ago, ray98 said:

mindless chatter with strangers.

how rude