Possible mobility issues- wheelchair?

queenpailhead

My teen DD is having major hip surgery in February now and we are cruising in early April for a week. She may still be on crutches. I'm not super concerned because she's young and in great shape but if she ends up getting super exhausted or something are there wheelchairs available or should I prerent a small travel one (she's very tiny, like 113 pounds). I searched but couldnt' find anything on someone who really would only need the wheelchair a little bit if at all.

Look at Vacation care.     There is a place that rents scooters and wheel chairs    these will be in your cabin when you board   and you leave it there when you get off the ship.

Very few wheel chairs onboard   and are for emergency use    These can not be used off the ship

• Like 1

Scootaround is the only approved Carnival vendor for wheelchair rental.  They will either be in your room when you board or you will pick it up at the kiosk located at the port (depending on the port).  The rental cost is very reasonable.  

If she doesn't want a wheelchair for the trip (you should think twice), there is wheelchair assistance available for initial boarding and debarkation only.  They ship has a few wheelchairs, but they are for emergency use only.

Do not store or park the wheelchair in the hallway.  They will fold and go into a regular room, so you will probably not need a HC accessible room.

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs/wheelchair-users.aspx

6 hours ago, queenpailhead said:

My teen DD is having major hip surgery in February now and we are cruising in early April for a week. She may still be on crutches. I'm not super concerned because she's young and in great shape but if she ends up getting super exhausted or something are there wheelchairs available or should I prerent a small travel one (she's very tiny, like 113 pounds). I searched but couldnt' find anything on someone who really would only need the wheelchair a little bit if at all.

Wheel chairs that are on the ship are for emergencies only.

If you do not believe what I am saying. Look it up. I did. Here you are.

Cruise lines generally require passengers to store their mobility equipment (wheelchairs and scooters) in their stateroom. Passengers cannot keep these items in hallways, stairways or public areas because of safety regulations. ... They can provide medical equipment such as wheelchairs, scooters and oxygen.

I get what you are saying, but I also know I was just on that cruise and it was wheelchair central. That #$%@ chair was on loan for the entire trip because those people were steps from my own handicapped cabin. See my Valor trip report in my sig. 

Just now, Buckimion said:

I get what you are saying, but I also know I was just on that cruise and it was wheelchair central. That #$%@ chair was on loan for the entire trip because those people were steps from my own handicapped cabin. See my Valor trip report in my sig. 

Just because you see it does not mean it is OK to do it. You can rent one before you get on the ship. If all of a sudden you must have one on the cruise you can rent it. It is very expensive. I also get what you are saying. Especially in many parts of the ship where they just stick them where ever they want to. My ankles have been smashed into by them more than once. Feet run over. No sorry either. I do my best to give them an opening. I hold open the elevator doors for them. I give them a lot of room. Most of the time they are very nice and congenial. However like anyone. Wheel chair or not. Can be very nasty and overbearing.

1 hour ago, Buckimion said:

Not 100% true. YMMV.

20190911_074514.thumb.jpg.935ee2ddc464b6

45 minutes ago, Buckimion said:

I posted the link to Carnival's policies on my previous post. I'll copy the pertinent sections for you below. 

I have seen people using Carnival wheelchairs for the entire cruise; however, these are typically people who are injured early in the cruise and required it's use.  Some people have reporting being able to get one after placing a deposit at GS after discovering that they should have rented one and didn't.  Supplies are severely limited and relying on the ability to do so when you know ahead of time that you would need one is foolhardy at best.  It also may mean there is not one available to someone who develops a need for one during the cruise.

image.thumb.png.5a0ed046328dd86c7d12ea329f342c9b.pngimage.thumb.png.10a7e3192f4b935f124fefd7990370b0.png

Getting this back on topic.

I would rent a wheel chair for the week. I think it was about $100-&125. It was in the cabin when we arrived and left it when we left.

Our son had just turned 12 and broke his femur a month before the cruise. The did a new procedure so he did not have a cast and only a titanium rod inserted in his leg. We were given clearance to travel.

It was to late to switch to a handicapp room even working through guest services. 

The wheelchair was a lifesaver for us. He was still able to participate in things and he did not get over tired. He was able to go to camp, but his sister was the only one who could push him per Carnival rules. 

We did have some challenges and it was a very different cruise. I can go into more details but I don’t want to hijack your thread and not sure how experienced a cruiser you are.

Short answer get the wheelchair 

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 2:02 PM, Buckimion said:

A medical center with a backbone will say no unless that guest was injured on board

Wow I didn't mean to start a fight on here, just came back to this and saw it became a slight battle.

I have seen transport wheelchairs online for the same cost as renting a chair for a week. Any thoughts on me just purchasing a transport chair?? As noted DD is 113 pounds.