CHICAGOPAUL LIVE BLOG!!!!!! December 13th, 2019 - SILHOUETTE SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN

chicagopaul

So much fun reading and discovering your post + website.  New to cruising and planning my first for next year on Celebrity but noticed the price you quoted seemed to be amazing - especially for a suite. Any advice to finding such attractive rates? When I checked on the Celebrity site suite rates seemed much higher for similar itineraries. Thanks!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Pokeymon said:

Do you know anything about Celebrity giving $100 for the port change from Ft Lauderdale to Miami? If so, how is it to be disbursed?

I’ve met a few people who took advantage of this. From my understanding it is a reimbursement. A couple we spoke to used a private car service for $95 from FLL to port of Miami. I think you call up and submit receipts but I’ll find out the details and report back. 

26 minutes ago, PRS3191 said:

So much fun reading and discovering your post + website.  New to cruising and planning my first for next year on Celebrity but noticed the price you quoted seemed to be amazing - especially for a suite. Any advice to finding such attractive rates? When I checked on the Celebrity site suite rates seemed much higher for similar itineraries. Thanks!

No problem. When I’m at my laptop I’ll explain in more detail our process and what we do that works for us for finding the pricing that we do.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lastdance said:

Hi Paul!  Thanks for making December a little more fun, and not so stressed.  Reading your blog always makes me smile.  I had a cruise booked on Equinox in  aSky Suite that I canceled.  Celebrity wanted 9,000+ for the two of us!  So glad you got such a fantastic price....following!

Many of us our honoring Vt cruiser with a Golden Margarita when we cruise.  If  you drink those, please have one in honor of her dedication and posts to Cruise Critic...just a suggestion!

I absolutely love this idea and we will most definitely order this. In case the bartender doesn’t know what exactly is a golden margarita? 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, chicagopaul said:

I absolutely love this idea and we will most definitely order this. In case the bartender doesn’t know what exactly is a golden margarita? 

It is made with gold tequila, Grand Mariner, lime....the bartender will be able to make it!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chicagopaul said:

Thank you! Cheers to VtCruising!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Your blogs are awesome - thank you for sharing your trip to the ABC islands with us!

We will be on the Silho end of March (the same itinerary) with our grown son and his soon to be husband as a pre-wedding celebration. Our gift to them. 

We are super excited to go and will be following your trip - thanks again. Safe travels!

• Like 4

So excited to see another of your great reviews, we were on a similar itinerary on Silhouette in early November and missing it, all except the extreme hot weather. 

We enjoyed many drinks up at the sunset bar with Ansel and his crew and of coursevtime at the Martini Bar when we could find a seat!  Enjoy your trip will be following along.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chicagopaul said:

No problem. When I’m at my laptop I’ll explain in more detail our process and what we do that works for us for finding the pricing that we do.  

I too am interested to hear your process!!    

My husband and I had the pleasure of meeting you and Edward on your Alaska cruise last May!   

It is always a pleasure to tag along with both of you on your cruises!!  Your blogs are awesome!!

Makes me forget that it is -25C outside!  Haha!!

Enjoy your cruise!!!

Edited by tradingspaces
  • Like 1

Muster Drill was in Murano yesterday as I mentioned. They took a while to roll the video yesterday. The required time was 3:15 and we didn’t get out of there until almost 4. What I must say is that our muster station leader (forgot his name) was very engaging and the time actually seemed to pass quickly. He did his own demonstration, took it seriously but made jokes and got everyone involved. Out of all of our muster drills he was definitely the most informative, took best control of the room, and was able to get people involved. 

After muster we went back to our room and found that our luggage had been brought in. We started to unpack and our butler Alex arrived to introduce himself. He seems very nice and I feel comfortable asking him for whatever we need. We had him empty the minibar and fill it with sparkling water and ginger ale. He also already had lots of bottles of regular water stocked in the room. Before we went to dinner I left a pair of shoes for him to

shine and they were ready when we came back from our dinner. 

Yesterday, we went to martini bar before dinner per the usual. We arrived at the martini bar at 6:45 and it was packed! We lurked for about 10 minutes and we’re able to grab one seat and chat with a couple who were waiting for a table in the MDR. When they left we then had two seats at the bar. 

We went to dinner in Luminae at 8pm. The manager of Luminae has remembered not just our names but everyone’s names already. I’m highly impressed. It was not crowded at all which was nice. The best part is when we were about to head to our table we saw Dev, a waiter we’ve had several times before. We were thrilled and were seated with him. Life is going well for him. His kids and wife are doing well back in Mauritius. 

For dinner we started with the burrata which we both really enjoyed. We then had the pork belly which was OK and then we both had the filet. The quality of the meat was really superb. I was very impressed with the filet quality. You could almost cut it with your fork. It also was seasoned very well which I’ve mentioned before is not always the case! We then had what I believe was an almond cake for dessert which was nice, not overly sweet. 

Photos below of dinner! 

Paul

You may already know this, but just in case....keep your eye out for the dinner menu in Luminae on I believe Day 3. You will see a Rib Eye Steak as one of the choices.

In the past I would have passed on that option, as the Rib Eye steaks on Celebrity have tended to be inconsistent, but when we sailed on Eclipse in September and then again on Edge in November, the Rib Eye on Eclipse had to be one of the nicest pieces of Prime Rib I have ever had in my life. It was sliced so thick, that it was served standing up on its side. 

Just an FYI in case this is the case on Silhouette.

Have a Wonderful time and Thank You for doing your live reports. We all live vicariously through your reports as we anxiously await our next opportunity.

Randy

Edited by Schmoe38
  • Like 2

The sommelier in Luminae is Vladimir. We asked him if he could get us the Hartford Zin and he happily obliged. I know it’s a bit of a hassle so we told him we appreciated it. He said it was no big deal, all he had to do was make a call and someone else would run it to him. He asked us if we just wanted to take the bottle and he’d charge us $40. The up charge is $8 per glass, 5 glasses per bottle. We said of course since we’d drink it the next day if we didn’t finish it but of course we finished it. 

I think we will have some fun with him and we look forward to trying something different. He said he will see what else he can find for us on board. 

After dinner we went up to sunset, ordered a couple Hennessy and enjoyed a cigar. It was a picture perfect night. Nice light breeze, moon high in the sky, and bar staff checking in literally every 5 minutes. Lots of people were outside enjoying a cigar and chatting. Seems like they’ll be busy at sunset in the evenings this cruise. 

Here is a funny photo Edward took 

3388734C-DD05-4E98-8086-58ADB5ECD571.thumb.jpeg.bcad6b0a627e1990ec7e158c944add0d.jpeg

This morning we slept in. Took our time getting ready and had a double espresso at Cafe Bacio. Service there was nice and prompt. As soon as we sat down someone was taking our order. 

BD02E93F-AED1-410F-9B2D-F52BB8373052.thumb.jpeg.cb8908375ccff43d78925d863740db68.jpeg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Schmoe38 said:

Paul

You may already know this, but just in case....keep your eye out for the dinner menu in Luminae on I believe Day 3. You will see a Rib Eye Steak as one of the choices.

In the past I would have passed on that option, as the Rib Eye steaks on Celebrity have tended to be inconsistent, but when we sailed on Eclipse in September and then again on Edge in November, the Rib Eye on Eclipse had to be one of the nicest pieces of Prime Rib I have ever had in my life. It was sliced so thick, that it was served standing up on its side. 

Just an FYI in case this is the case on Silhouette.

Have a Wonderful time and Thank You for doing your live reports. We all live vicariously through your reports as we anxiously await our next opportunity.

Randy

Thanks Randy that’s good to know! We will keep an eye out for it. 

This morning after Cafe Bacio we made our way to sunset bar and had a few drinks. Weather today is warm, light humidity, and barely a cloud in the sky. We sat at the bar, talked with the bartenders Sandip and I Gede. We also met another couple and started chatting about cruises, their work, food, travel, etc. around 12:30 we made our way to Luminae for lunch. 

For lunch we had the hamachi crudo. Edward then had the lamb burger and myself the short ribs. Edward said his burger was good but difficult to eat so he ended up using a knife and fork. My short ribs were good but nothing like the ones they serve at dinner. At lunch we met a very nice couple from New Jersey who are on their 2nd leg of a b2b. 

Service again was prompt, without issues and again it was not crowded at all. 

A2B321F1-CF0A-4DA2-AD8F-943357974CCE.thumb.jpeg.76e261012617f81a3f4a1f2530593033.jpeg

586B74D2-DB94-4EE8-9C56-C416ED7C4D02.thumb.jpeg.988db20afaf26a9e15e2c2d96037a081.jpeg

4FC57104-B7F8-49F3-A7AB-3E4323B59C55.thumb.jpeg.341ab499df3d06fa8a74b359175d3a83.jpeg

Here is a photo from last night showing how picture perfect (no pun intended) our view was. 

177D5B5A-550B-4302-B8E5-4A240514E0AD.thumb.jpeg.0f90bb42ba29bab4307a3e60e5112d9d.jpeg

• Like 5