HELP Passport, Birth Certificate Issue

TexasRealtor

We sail on 12/20/2019 out of Ft Lauderdale (we are in Dallas TX). It is my wife and two sons. One son we have birth certificate, and wife and I have passports. Oldest son is at college and we cannot find his birth certificate. He was born in New York and is located at Austin Texas right now. His passport was issued prior to turning 16 and we cannot find it either. It expired over 4 years ago anyway. 

Does anyone know of a service or used a service to overnight a new copy of a birth certificate out of state from New York?

Carnival recommended vital chek, but I am not sure it will be here in time. 

Any information would be appreciated. 

8 minutes ago, amyotravel said:

Any way he can get a passport renewed ASAP in Houston? A far drive from Austin but not impossible. Where was his last one issued?

No. It was issued prior to his 16th birthday and we can't find it either. Worst case scenario is a red eye flight to New York to get a new copy. 

Just now, TexasRealtor said:

No. It was issued prior to his 16th birthday and we can't find it either. Worst case scenario is a red eye flight to New York to get a new copy. 

So if it's before 16 you can't get a renewal without the last one/birth cert.? I didn't know that. 

First I would contact the office of vital records in the city your son was born in NY and see if they can expedite it to you. They’re the ones that will tell you how fast you can get it from them and if flying there would even be useful. The service vital check has to get it from the same place you would. Good luck, I hope this works out for you🙏🏻.

Is there any place that might have a copy of his birth certificate? While it is best to use the original if possible a copy is acceptable under the regulations. A job, school, etc. might have a copy available. I would look for something like that while also applying for one by vital chek. 

1 hour ago, TexasRealtor said:

We sail on 12/20/2019 out of Ft Lauderdale (we are in Dallas TX). It is my wife and two sons. One son we have birth certificate, and wife and I have passports. Oldest son is at college and we cannot find his birth certificate. He was born in New York and is located at Austin Texas right now. His passport was issued prior to turning 16 and we cannot find it either. It expired over 4 years ago anyway. 

Does anyone know of a service or used a service to overnight a new copy of a birth certificate out of state from New York?

Carnival recommended vital chek, but I am not sure it will be here in time. 

Any information would be appreciated. 

I've used Vital Check before, you can pay to have it FedEx'd.  I had my son's in three days.

28 minutes ago, coevan said:

go ahead, bash away, but the OP waited 9 days before the cruise to check documents, seriously? Good luck, hope everything works out.

I agree, for a family of 4 the cruise has to cost at least two thousand bucks, I hope it is not a waste. Right now I do not have a cruise book until June 2020 but I know where my documents are. 

7 hours ago, coevan said:

go ahead, bash away, but the OP waited 9 days before the cruise to check documents, seriously? Good luck, hope everything works out.

I hear you... but I'm the kind of person that has all my ducks in a row months in advance. I also know that I'm kind of neurotic about these kind of things, planning and such, while some people just aren't. Takes all types to keep life interesting.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, coevan said:

Any information would be appreciated. Did you not understand the original post? If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it. I asked my wife about this before thanksgiving. She said she had it.

27 minutes ago, TexasRealtor said:

Any information would be appreciated. Did you not understand the original post? If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it. I asked my wife about this before thanksgiving. She said she had it.

Most of us understand that stuff happens. Since my wife is always right I would have accepted that myself.🙂

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

My bet is that your college aged son may have his BC- is he employed at school? If so, usually you need proof of citizenship to get a job- documents include BC or passport. Is it possible he took it to school? Did he go and get a new "real ID" driver's license? He would have needed his BC for that. Have him turn EVERYTHING upside down while you go to Vital Check and work on getting it replaced.

• Like 1