Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
Bluewake

Is Chichen Itza "worth" the long trip from Progresso?

I realize that may seem an odd  question since Chichen Itza is considered to be a highly significant Mayan site and one of the "new wonders" of the world.  But, we are trying to decide on a cruise that stops in Progresso vs another that has an entirely different itinerary.  The only reason to take the Progresso cruise is to visit Chichen Itza...otherwise, we'd prefer the other cruise.  While I am fascinated by historical sites, that isn't the case for my wife...although she has been a "good sport" about it.  And, I return the favor by waiting in jewelry stores in other ports!    We've been on a cruise that stopped in Progresso once before and when we asked a number of people whether they would recommend Chichen Itza or Uxmal, the consensus was Uxmal.  The advice we were given was that Chichen Itza is nice but it's also highly commercialized with vendors coming up to try to sell things to you throughout the site.   Based on the suggestion, we went to Uxmal and both of us thought the experience was incredible. I still have an interest in seeing Chichen Itza but I believe it's quite a  distance from Progresso and I am wondering if the Chichen Itza experience is distinct enough to warrant taking a cruise we'd otherwise not book and a 2-hour bus ride....especially for someone who isn't necessarily captivated by Mayan ruins? Was what I was told about Chichen Itza accurate?

We went to Chichen Itza as an excursion and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

We had a great tour guide who gave a talk on the drive and that was quite interesting and made the time pass quickly. We did not encounter aggressive vendors, but buyer beware, the straw market had a lot of things that were made in China. Don’t hesitate to look the item over and haggle.

however, we both enjoy history and archaeology.....

would i I do it again? Absolutely. 

Personally, I found both wothwhile but I did Chichen Itza as an overnight adventure on a land vacation to the Yucatan.  So what I am saying is that for me it was worth dealing with the crowds as we got there before all the hundreds of tourists on buses showed up...so it wasn't crowded.  If you are doing it by cruise ship excursion from Progreso or Cozumel, you will not arrive until around lunchtime, and so will all the other buses.  It is a World Heritage site, and no kidding it is MIND BLOWIING... but it is really up to you if it is worth the 2 hour bus ride each way from Progreso, as well as the crowds.  

That said... if you are a history buff, you should go... but do it from Progreso and not from Cozumel.