Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Luv my furbaby

Beverage package and bottled water

Recommended Posts

Is bottled water included in the beverage package?  I thought I had read that you need to pay extra for it. My package was a perk when I booked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No. The regular package, the one you get free with booking if you chose it, does not. Also doesn't include fresh juice, specialty coffee, energy drinks, and some other stuff. You'd have to upgrade to the premium plus beverage package if you want more than essentially alcohol up to $15 a glass and soda. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we first cruised with NCL in 2016, we had the standard beverage package, and at that time, it did include bottled water, milkshakes and other bottled beverages (Vitamin Water for example) as well as a good selection of teas (for hot tea).  The cruise lines keep looking for ways to make more $.  Remember when it used to be cheap to go to Las Vegas?  Not as much anymore.  I foresee the cruise industry going in this direction, but demand is up so it makes sense I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, epermar said:

When we first cruised with NCL in 2016, we had the standard beverage package, and at that time, it did include bottled water, milkshakes and other bottled beverages (Vitamin Water for example) as well as a good selection of teas (for hot tea).  The cruise lines keep looking for ways to make more $.  Remember when it used to be cheap to go to Las Vegas?  Not as much anymore.  I foresee the cruise industry going in this direction, but demand is up so it makes sense I guess.

I’ve been cruising NCL for 15 years, and sailed a few months after the UBP started (not a perk, had to pay, but much cheaper then), and nothing else was included. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting.  I wonder if it varies by ship.  We sailed on the Spirit January 2016, our first NCL experience, and were able to get just about anything.  It was a perk with our package though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bottled water i extra under the basic UBP.  Tap water is free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tef43 said:

Tap water is free.

Yup.  I've consumed all the water I wanted to, without even paying for the beverage package or getting it as a perk..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i've been on 4 NCL cruises with beverage package, bottled water was never included (although you can get iced tap water from bars)

 

I find it fascinating that a six pack of water on Carnival is $5 or so and 4x that on NCL.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, epermar said:

Interesting.  I wonder if it varies by ship.  We sailed on the Spirit January 2016, our first NCL experience, and were able to get just about anything.  It was a perk with our package though. 

We’ve paid for it and have also received it as a perk, no water or milkshakes. Literally people have complained on this site every day about water not being included since they offered the package.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, epermar said:

When we first cruised with NCL in 2016, we had the standard beverage package, and at that time, it did include bottled water, milkshakes and other bottled beverages (Vitamin Water for example) as well as a good selection of teas (for hot tea).  The cruise lines keep looking for ways to make more $.  Remember when it used to be cheap to go to Las Vegas?  Not as much anymore.  I foresee the cruise industry going in this direction, but demand is up so it makes sense I guess.

 

I sailed in Feb 2016 and the rules were the same as today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am old enough to remember when being charged for water was unthinkable. When people show that they will pay for something that was previously free, companies will accommodate them. In 20 years we will be paying for toilet paper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, havanadaydreaming said:

i've been on 4 NCL cruises with beverage package, bottled water was never included (although you can get iced tap water from bars)

 

I find it fascinating that a six pack of water on Carnival is $5 or so and 4x that on NCL.  

Does Carnival provide liter bottles at that price?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

Does Carnival provide liter bottles at that price?

50.72 fluid oz. bottle costs $3.95 on Carnival. A 12 pack of bottled water costs $4.95.  https://www.carnival.com/in-room-food-beverages All past guests recieve one free liter bottle of water which can be refilled.

 

The prices on NCL are 

6-pack (1-liter bottles) $16.95
12-pack (1-liter bottles) $29.95
24-pack (1-liter bottles) $44.95
Edited by trummy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, trummy said:

50.72 fluid oz. bottle costs $3.95 on Carnival. A 12 pack of bottled water costs $4.95.  https://www.carnival.com/in-room-food-beverages All past guests recieve one free liter bottle of water which can be refilled.

 

The prices on NCL are 

6-pack (1-liter bottles) $16.95
12-pack (1-liter bottles) $29.95
24-pack (1-liter bottles) $44.95

$53.94 for one 24-pack( 1 liter) per order before your cruise. they add 20% tip to your bill.

 

The only reason I know is because we are doing a 14 night  cruise and like to have a bottle to carry off with us when in port. While on the ship we just drink tap water in our refillable containers.

 

I did see something that NCL will not have plastic bottles on their ships starting Jan 1st 2020. Changing it to cardboard boxes of water. We leave Jan 5th so we will see if we get plastic or cardboard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, trummy said:

I am old enough to remember when being charged for water was unthinkable. When people show that they will pay for something that was previously free, companies will accommodate them. In 20 years we will be paying for toilet paper.

I’m old enough to remember when there was no such thing as bottled water, but I don’t remember it ever being free. I do remember a period when there was a drought, and restaurants charged didn’t automatically give you tap water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, epermar said:

Interesting.  I wonder if it varies by ship.  We sailed on the Spirit January 2016, our first NCL experience, and were able to get just about anything.  It was a perk with our package though. 

No, it certainly doesn’t vary by ship.

 

Are you from outside the US? Many countries have had extras offered as well as the basic beverage package in the past, so maybe that explains the difference you report.

 

The standard beverage package itself has never included bottled water. The one which does was introduced very recently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, I am from the US, and we did have the UBP and were given some of the extras like bottled water, Vitamin Water and teas.  Not sure how, but we did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, epermar said:

No, I am from the US, and we did have the UBP and were given some of the extras like bottled water, Vitamin Water and teas.  Not sure how, but we did.

Was it an all-inclusive cruise?  That might be where the difference comes in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, epermar said:

No, I am from the US, and we did have the UBP and were given some of the extras like bottled water, Vitamin Water and teas.  Not sure how, but we did.

It must have been something extra added offered as a perk on top of the UBP. As stated that has happened elsewhere, so maybe it was something that was included in the US for a short while.

 

It would have been in addition to the UBP though, not part of the package.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since such a high percentage of passengers have the beverage package, I don't think NCL wants to burden each of its many bars with hundreds of bottles of water that produce no additional revenue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, aceparty said:

The only reason I know is because we are doing a 14 night  cruise and like to have a bottle to carry off with us when in port. While on the ship we just drink tap water in our refillable containers.

 

Across various threads I've seen various people say this. Never quite get why they don't just take the refillable bottle off the ship? That's why I do. Much prefer it too since my bottle keeps my water nice and cold while a plastic bottle warms up fast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

 

Across various threads I've seen various people say this. Never quite get why they don't just take the refillable bottle off the ship? That's why I do. Much prefer it too since my bottle keeps my water nice and cold while a plastic bottle warms up fast. 

We take our refillable full of ice and water and bring a bottle with us. I drink a lot of water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I upgraded to the premium plus package and am just curious - what size are the water bottles and where can I get them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2019 at 11:51 PM, smplybcause said:

No. The regular package, the one you get free with booking if you chose it, does not. Also doesn't include fresh juice, specialty coffee, energy drinks, and some other stuff. You'd have to upgrade to the premium plus beverage package if you want more than essentially alcohol up to $15 a glass and soda. 

Went to NCL site and saw this:

Premium Beverage Package (formerly known as Ultimate Beverage Package)

DETAILS

 

$99.00 USD per person per day (adults age 21 and older).

This package includes all cocktails, spirits, glasses of wine and beer (under $15 USD), unlimited fountain soda and juices at all bars, lounges, restaurants (including while at Great Stirrup Cay)

 

This implies JUICES?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Went to NCL site and saw this:

Premium Beverage Package (formerly known as Ultimate Beverage Package)

DETAILS

 

$99.00 USD per person per day (adults age 21 and older).

This package includes all cocktails, spirits, glasses of wine and beer (under $15 USD), unlimited fountain soda and juices at all bars, lounges, restaurants (including while at Great Stirrup Cay)

 

This implies JUICES?

 

"juices" yes, if you call that stuff they pour out which is some sort of concentrate.  Not freshly squeezed juice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...