rome to civitavecchia ship port transportation

jdc987

I am working on my plans for my cruise, departing Civitavecchia arriving Southampton.  I am staying at a small hotel in rome on the previous night, but not sure of the transportation choices to the port that is budget friendly.  Has anyone completed this recently and have any input?

A good place to ask is over in the Italy port of Call forum:  

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/464-italy-ports/

Info there on the train, car services, etc.  And if you haven’t already done so, join the Roll Call for your cruise. You may find others staying in nearby Rome hotels with whom you can share a car service. We did that a few years ago and it worked out very well.

• Like 1

Take the train from Roma Termini to Civ. Its very easy and about as budget friendly as you can get. Book your tickets at https://www.trenitalia.com/ .

Once in Civitavecchia, the train station is only about a 10-15 minute walk from the port. There are also cabs and shuttles that will transport you to Largo Della pace where you pick up the cruise ship bus inside the secured area. We did this last month and it was a breeze.

Edited by XuGator

If you want to be budget friendly when travelling from Rome to Civitavecchia, you have to be sensible when you are packing.  As long as you can manage your own luggage you will be fine on the local train from central Rome.  

Another tip is to make sure you arrive at Termini station in plenty of time.  The platform for the Civitavecchia trains is a bit of a trek from the front door!!

The others with me don’t want to take the train so we are booking a private car from our Rome hotel to the port.  What time should we arrange for the hotel pickup?  On debarkation day we need to get to Rome Termini for the train to Venice.  We will be taking our own luggage off so what time should we book the car to pick us up at the port?

2 minutes ago, CynBeth6 said:

The others with me don’t want to take the train so we are booking a private car from our Rome hotel to the port.  What time should we arrange for the hotel pickup?  On debarkation day we need to get to Rome Termini for the train to Venice.  We will be taking our own luggage off so what time should we book the car to pick us up at the port?

Both answers would be "It depends."

For getting to the port:  Is your priority to be among the first on board, or is it to enjoy more time in Rome and get to the port at a reasonable time before sailaway?  The trip itself usually takes a bit longer than an hour and up to 90 minutes depending on traffic, time of day, your hotel location, etc.

For getting to the train:  What time is your train?  At Termini, I would recommend arriving not less than 30 minutes prior to your train departure, but not more than an hour, ideally. Build in 90 minutes for the car trip.  As a tip, there are large boards that display the departure times and the track (binario) for all trains, but the track number is seldom listed before 30 minutes and often less than 20 minutes before departure. There are areas upstairs in the station where you can sit if you arrive early. (Seating is almost nonexistent on the main level.)

3 minutes ago, CynBeth6 said:

The drive from Rome to the port is about 75 minutes. Your hotel will be kicking you out by 11am, probably. So that sets some parameters for you. In May, Rome in Limo will be picking us up at 10am.

As to ship to Termini, that would sort of depend on what time your train is, right? Most of the vendors will pick you up any time after 7am.

We were thinking about getting picked up at our hotel around 9 am or 9:30 am to get to the port around 11 am or 11:30 am.  Can you board at any time or are you assigned a time?  When getting off we can’t book our train yet but was trying to figure out what time to book the car to figure out which train to book when it opens on the website.  What time would we be allowed off? With taking our own luggage off do we have to go through security, immigration, etc?  

Boarding times can vary according to the cruise line.  For that information you would need to refer to your cruise documents.  I believe that some people are told ‘suggested’ times which can be ignored.  As long as you are on board two hours before sailaway you are fine.  We always plan to arrive around midday.  The time spent waiting for check-in can vary.  Sometimes you have to wait, sometimes you go straight through.  

If it is too early to book your train you could do a mock booking to see how long the train is likely to take.  When you book the car you could probably give them an approximate time and then tell them you will confirm when you know the exact train time.  Follow Cruisemom’s advice about timing in Termini Station.  It is big and busy.  It is certainly doable (that is why it is busy, so many people catching trains!).  When we are not completely sure where we have to go, one person checks out the platform/train number and time whilst the other takes care of the luggage.