Maasdam being refused Practique in Fiji

VK3DQ

1 hour ago, bcummin said:

This letter says United States citizens born before 1957.  (which would mean 1956)

Sorry that this applies to three ports in Fiji.

But it is good that they are protecting their children, since so many have died from measles elsewhere.  (Sort of hard to understand, since our generation took measles for granted, inevitable.  However it was only the measles that worried my mother enough to really isolate and protect us from sunlight.)

Thank you, John, for keeping us informed.

Kind Regards,

Barbara

1 hour ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

I was born way before 1956 -- never had the measles -- no shots when I was born.

Yea -- I can go ashore.

Sorry for those that can't go ashore.

Wonder why HAL didn't notify the passengers before the cruise?

You can hardly ever say this anymore -- but sometimes it pays to be OLD! And yeah -- I remember having rubeola (or, as we called it back then, the 'red measles'.) I missed two weeks of school, and my first grade teacher even came by to see how I was doing.

Sorry for those who missed their shore excursions. Hopefully HAL will make it up to you!

My question would then be, did Holland America advise you that you must carry proof of the MMR in order to go to Fiji on this cruise? I certainly wouldn’t have thought to carry my shot record with me if I hadn’t been told I must. If not, then it’s a darn good thing Holland America is doing all day Happy Hours!! 

I had measles as a child in the 50's and German measles twice. You're not supposed to be able to get German measles twice but I did. I still remember hallucinating from the fever. It was horrible.

The vaccine wasn't available when I was a child. I wish it had been.

3 hours ago, voyageur9 said:

More than 70 dead ... mostly children under four ... and 5,000 ill. Samoa extends state of emergency because of measles epidemic.

Those are staggering statistics for little Samoa!  Sounds like this is a recent and terrifying development there and in other islands of the South Pacific.  

And this is so very disappointing to those who will not be allowed to disembark in the beautiful islands of Fiji.  I hope the other ports of call will be open and the rest of the cruise can be enjoyable.  m--

1 hour ago, bcummin said:

We always carry our shot records when we travel.

Barbara

My shot records from when I was a child have been long gone with my paediatrician, unfortunately.  I’ve moved and changed doctors and that stuff seems to disappear over time.

I do have a standard record for key shots that might be asked for but I have no proof of my small pox, measles, etc.  

Fortunately I am “old” enough to not worry about the measles requirement. 😉 

Like Kazu -- no records for me -- mother didn't keep any since no shots were available -- only to keep reminding me that I never had measles, mumps or chicken pox.

But when we started to get Hep A, Hep B, diptheria shots, yellow fever shots, etc., we were given yellow cards and we were required to have them on a couple of cruises.

Hi Folks

Well all was ok in Suva but we are still not sure on the next two ports /// hopefully the agist list will ensure that at least the majority of Maasdams passengers are able to get ashore today     will keep you informed

Regards

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My shot records from childhood are MIA. I tried to locate them last summer via countless calls to no avail. I do have all adult records at least, and thanks to this thread have determined I should probably start sailing with them on exotic cruises! Good luck to those onboard; I hope you get to see Fiji! I went there as a child, and it was unspoiled and gorgeous.

How  could HAL  not know about this before  quests arrived at  the pier to board?  Had noti ce been given in advance on board , a large percentage  likely  could have obtained required proof.

HOW could HAL's port agent not have   known and advised them, knowing there was an upcoming port call scheduled  ?  How could the authorities not send verifiiable notice?  I am sure OP is probably right bu t  it is very hard to accept such a major    ' messup? '    This seems to possibly be a major  Oops

Can you say   Loong    line  of guests    looking fo r compensation?[/u]

Edited by sail7seas

38 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

How  could HAL  not know about this before  quests arrived at  the pier to board?  Had noti ce been given in advance on board , a large percentage  likely  could have obtained required proof.

HOW could HAL's port agent not have   known and advised them, knowing there was an upcoming port call scheduled  ?  How could the authorities not send verifiiable notice?  I am sure OP is probably right bu t  it is very hard to accept such a major    ' messup? '    This seems to possibly be a major  Oops

I'm thinking the port/country implemented the new restriction after the cruise set sail.

• Like 4

Measles has been reported in Denver showing up in travelers.  Exposures were also possible in LAX.  Most people here have immunity but not all.  Apparently in Samoa (different place than American Samoa) there was a decrease in immunity due to an improperly mixed vaccine.  Tragic.  Maybe Fiji panicked with the declaration of the State of Emergency in mid-November?  And it seems HAL got informed at the last hour, not at the boarding pier.  Good they were allowed to visit Suva!    m--

https://www.vox.com/2019/12/18/21025920/measles-outbreak-2019-samoa 

On 12/14/2019 at 10:32 AM, cruisequeen4ever said:

My question would then be, did Holland America advise you that you must carry proof of the MMR in order to go to Fiji on this cruise? I certainly wouldn’t have thought to carry my shot record with me if I hadn’t been told I must. If not, then it’s a darn good thing Holland America is doing all day Happy Hours!! 

I doubt that HAL even knew before the ship arrived.  

1 hour ago, sail7seas said:

The reports of substantial deaths in the islands due to measles was not widely known until November.  On Samoa there have been over 60 deaths, mostly children, from measles.  As you know, this spreads easily and can be deadly to those not vaccinated.  The reason for a large percentage of the population not wanting to vaccinate their children is because of the death of two infants last year who were mistakenly administered a muscle relaxant along with the measles vaccination.  You can totally understand their hesitantcy to give their children the measles vaccine but it is so unfortunate.  False rumors have ensued re the measles vaccine but hopefully everyone is now getting the medical attention they need.  It is unfortunate that passengers on cruise ships are being inconvenienced and disappointed but the lives of those on the islands should be the most important thing to think about.   JMO  Cherie   

When I was immigrating to the US, as an adult, I required proof of vaccination.  I went to my GP and he wrote down the dates and types of immunizations I would have received based on the required standards at that time.  He also gave me one or two booster shots but I can’t recall which one(s).  I think maybe measles.

Anyway, I say all that to say that it is another option, besides the titer test, for proof of immunization.

7 minutes ago, cccole said:

It is unfortunate that passengers on cruise ships are being inconvenienced and disappointed but the lives of those on the islands should be the most important thing to think about

Totally agree.  Although it would be a disappointment it would be well offset knowing of such a very sobering and sad situation.

• Like 2

It is, indeed, a sobering reminder.   I love the Hawaiian Islands and never forget how the measles epidemic, brought by the missionaries, caused the deaths of so many on the Hawaiian Islands.  I understand the reluctance to vaccinate but sometimes it is so important when you live in a world where you encounter visitors from all over the world.  Cherie

47 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

When I was immigrating to the US, as an adult, I required proof of vaccination.  I went to my GP and he wrote down the dates and types of immunizations I would have received based on the required standards at that time.  He also gave me one or two booster shots but I can’t recall which one(s).  I think maybe measles.

Anyway, I say all that to say that it is another option, besides the titer test, for proof of immunization.

Yes, but not everyone's past immunization record is still available.  I know mine is over 50 years old, I've moved 3 times, changed names, and changed both doctors and health plans in that time.

So a titre test was all I could do.

1 minute ago, Shmoo here said:

Yes, but not everyone's past immunization record is still available.  I know mine is over 50 years old, I've moved 3 times, changed names, and changed both doctors and health plans in that time.

So a titre test was all I could do.

My past immunization record was not available.