Spray tan after melanoma?

diamondintn

After a bout with melanoma I am 3 years cancer free. I know how to properly protect my skin from sun exposure using sunscreen, floppy hats, appropriate clothing, shade. Because I am SO white I am considering a spray tan for an upcoming cruise.  Anyone ever done this?

Cheers! Lisa 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, diamondintn said:

After a bout with melanoma I am 3 years cancer free. I know how to properly protect my skin from sun exposure using sunscreen, floppy hats, appropriate clothing, shade. Because I am SO white I am considering a spray tan for an upcoming cruise.  Anyone ever done this?

Cheers! Lisa 

This is a Medical question, why not ask your doctor...

12 hours ago, diamondintn said:

Cheers! Lisa 

It’s not a medical question IMO...lol.

I haven’t done a spray tan for a cruise specifically, but I’ve done them many times before.  It’s a great solution if you want some temporary color.  Be careful to exfoliate before having it done...definitely ask where you get it done how to prepare and how to keep your spray tan looking good.  I’ve had better results going to a place where a person sprays you, as opposed to going to a place where you stand in a booth by yourself to get sprayed.

I use a couple of self tanner lotions/products to lengthen the time of my spray tan.  I can get mine to last a week...sometimes longer...depends on what activities I’m doing.

Edited by CutieKakes

I too have skin cancer issues. I do use a spray tan prior to cruising (still have the lightly tanned color I prefer but not the danger of the sun exposure). Exfoliate thoroughly prior to getting it done & I've had best luck with someone spraying you as well (less streaking). Many good products at Ulta that you can use yourself as well (St Tropix)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, orchestrapal said:

This is a Medical question, why not ask your doctor...

Really? Please excuse my ignorance, Pal but I am having a bit of trouble understanding how spray tanning could be a medical issue unless I drank the stuff. 

I thought I was posting on the fashion and beauty page. Please correct me if I am wrong, otherwise butt out. 

9 hours ago, CutieKakes said:

It’s not a medical question IMO...lol.

I haven’t done a spray tan for a cruise specifically, but I’ve done them many times before.  It’s a great solution if you want some temporary color.  Be careful to exfoliate before having it done...definitely ask where you get it done how to prepare and how to keep your spray tan looking good.  I’ve had better results going to a place where a person sprays you, as opposed to going to a place where you stand in a booth by yourself to get sprayed.

I use a couple of self tanner lotions/products to lengthen the time of my spray tan.  I can get mine to last a week...sometimes longer...depends on what activities I’m doing.

Thanks for the advice, I'm definitely going to try it. Should I do it a day or two before the cruise? I don't want to be too orange.

7 hours ago, awhfy said:

I too have skin cancer issues. I do use a spray tan prior to cruising (still have the lightly tanned color I prefer but not the danger of the sun exposure). Exfoliate thoroughly prior to getting it done & I've had best luck with someone spraying you as well (less streaking). Many good products at Ulta that you can use yourself as well (St Tropix)

awhfy I hope your skin cancer issues are behind you and thanks for the advice. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, diamondintn said:

awhfy I hope your skin cancer issues are behind you and thanks for the advice. 

The skin cancer issues are ongoing, but thanks for the support. I’ve discovered rashguards & SPF 50 clothing & hats because I’m not giving up being outside!

On 12/14/2019 at 7:31 PM, diamondintn said:

Thanks for the advice, I'm definitely going to try it. Should I do it a day or two before the cruise? I don't want to be too orange.

you shouldn’t be orange at all - sunless tanners have come so far in terms of natural color.  Especially if you go someplace where they spray you, they will adjust the color/tone for your coloring.

if it were me, I’d do the spray tan the day before I left...

if you have time, you may want to try out a spray tan before you go on your cruise - trial run, if you will... 😀

• Like 1

On 12/15/2019 at 11:19 PM, CutieKakes said:

you shouldn’t be orange at all - sunless tanners have come so far in terms of natural color.  Especially if you go someplace where they spray you, they will adjust the color/tone for your coloring.

if it were me, I’d do the spray tan the day before I left...

if you have time, you may want to try out a spray tan before you go on your cruise - trial run, if you will... 😀

There is a spray tanning lady at the salon where I get my hair done. My hairdresser says she is very good. I am going to get a tan next time I have an appointment with Melissa. Is 25$ about right for cost?