Priority boarding taken away from Diamond and Diamond plus members on Liberty of the Seas Royal Caribbean ship

Ysya

1 minute ago, LorraineP said:

After dry dock concierge lounges are being turned into suite lounges - so no select ships there. The only concierge lounge that I’m aware of is on the Anthem & Grandeur. 

Upgrades when available, well never available with RoyalUp

CL still on all four Radiance sisters, plus Grandeur's Vision class sisters (what's left of them) Vision, Rhapsody, Enchantment.  No changes there that I am aware of.  Limited number of suites on those ships would keep the numbers very low should they change from CL to SL.  

Agree about the lost perk of free upgrades.  Up bid fairy has killed the sweet (free) upgrade fairy and tossed her body overboard.  😞   

1 minute ago, island lady said:

CL still on all four Radiance sisters, plus Grandeur's Vision class sisters (what's left of them) Vision, Rhapsody, Enchantment.  ...    

Plus Quantum class ships, which is surprising.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cured said:

The Key also generates revenue to help pay for the "free" perks of an ever increasing Diamond/D+ population.  Somebody has to pay for the alcohol in those "free" drinks 🙂

Most of us loyal cruisers always auto or pre-pay our tips with extra cash added .

Our last cruise we paid $435 auto tips and $200 cash tips.

We have had balcony and above cabins on 50 of our 53 cruises.

In my experience in the UK lots of newbie or low tier stop their tips so who really do you think should be Royals priority??.

Regarding the bathroom products,  robes and Ice, it is my understanding all of them are now on a request basis.

They are never denied, however the passenger must ask for them.

At first I was “put off“ that they were not waiting for us in the cabin, and then we learned that they are often “on request”. We usually have everything we need by turn down on the first evening. 

m

5 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Whining, disappointed, unhappy perhaps, furious as the OP suggested, I don’t think so. 

As D+ we are Royal loyalists but as we have just experienced on Princess if Royal dilute the perks to much there is better cruise experiences to be had elsewhere.

I would guess most buying KEY are  new or low tier loyalty buying perks and in my experience in the UK it is mainly but not exclusively new or low tier who have stopped their tips.

Royal have tips included for UK in 2020 and P&O,Marella,NCL etc have them included in the price permanently for a reason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ysya said:

Lol,. Grapau27, you have a point.  We always tip over and above the gratuities charged.  I too have seen this and heard people talk about having the gratuities removed.  Sad situation.  I should just let those who want to pay for the "Key" do so.  They probably won't have that option for much longer based on all the reviews out there.

I purchased the key for our January 2020 sailing, I also purchased it for the last cruise we went on. I am PAYING for the perks I receive. Quite a lot actually. I am guaranteed these perks because there is a dollar value attached. You are part of a loyalty program that does not have any monetary value. RCL OWES you nothing. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Blondiemomm said:

I purchased the key for our January 2020 sailing, I also purchased it for the last cruise we went on. I am PAYING for the perks I receive. Quite a lot actually. I am guaranteed these perks because there is a dollar value attached. You are part of a loyalty program that does not have any monetary value. RCL OWES you nothing. 

You have paid for KEY which RC offered just like people pay for Royal Up and you should get what you paid for.

Diamond and up have paid a lot of money for perks offered as an inducement to stay loyal to Royal.

Most loyalists including my wife and I have paid on top of our cruise fare a substantial $ amount in gratuities too which we could have stopped easily at Guest Services and bought KEY or drinks packages with the money saved.

• Like 2

Liberty has not taken away priority boarding for D, D+. The D, D+ waiting area is still there and D, D+ board right after suites and Pinnacles and I guess Key now too. At least that’s the way it was last Sunday (I’m on Liberty now).  The OP is talking about the security line. I don’t recall Galveston ever having a separate security line for D, D+ but even if they did, that’s not priority boarding.  Get to the port early enough, you’ll still get priority boarding. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Most of us loyal cruisers always auto or pre-pay our tips with extra cash added .

Our last cruise we paid $435 auto tips and $200 cash tips.

We have had balcony and above cabins on 50 of our 53 cruises.

In my experience in the UK lots of newbie or low tier stop their tips so who really do you think should be Royals priority??.

First of all, it is insulting to lump all new cruisers together that they cancel their tips. I am a relatively new cruiser and I would never dream of cancelling my prepaid tips. In fact, until I started reading here and had a few cruises under my belt, I didn't even know you could remove tips.  In my experience as a relatively new cruiser, the new cruiser doesn't really even know they are allowed to remove tips. It is the more experienced cruisers that remove tips.  And tips really have no bearing on changing perks because tips are not revenue bearing for Royal. 

To keep the growing population of higher status customers happy, Royal needs to find a way to pay for all those free drinks, more expensive amenities, and other perks that affect the bottom line.  Yes, you are valuable to Royal Caribbean which is why those free drinks and other amenities need to paid for somehow.  The alcohol companies are not donating the alcohol to Royal Caribbean.  

Makes sense that they would offer a perk for revenue to those that won't achieve that particular perk for a few years.  It is also likely to bring them back as repeat customers as they got a taste of what fun some perks can be.  It worked for us. We won our RoyalUp to a CL suite on our last cruise and loved it so much, we immediately turned around and booked another cruise in 2 suites rather than gambling on RoyalUp again.

A company's first and foremost loyalty is to their shareholders and their shareholders care about the bottom line.  It is a fine dance they need to play because ticking off good customers will affect the bottom line but so will giving costly perks to high status customers.  If revenue goes down, the first thing that will be cut is freebies. So be glad Royal is finding more and more ways to satisfy the bottom line and still give their loyal customers "free" perks.

23 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

You have paid for KEY which RC offered just like people pay for Royal Up and you should get what you paid for.

Diamond and up have paid a lot of money for perks offered as an inducement to stay loyal to Royal.

Most loyalists including my wife and I have paid on top of our cruise fare a substantial $ amount in gratuities too which we could have stopped easily at Guest Services and bought KEY or drinks packages with the money saved.

Tipping extra has absolutely nothing to do with RCCL revenue.  It is your choice to over tip.  Royal allows people to remove tips. The ones who get stiffed are the employees, not the company.  How much you tip makes no difference to Royal. All those newbie cruisers you claim that stiff the employees will eventually move up in the status and still be horrible people stiffing the employees.  Those that over tip will always be generous. But it has nothing to do with Royal's revenue and your entitlement to perks.

For all those cruises you took, you received everything you paid for. Royal has decided to add some extra perks for those that cruise with the company more. However, that is Royal's choice. No one is entitled to anything above and beyond what they paid for.

We are lowly gold and we always substantially add to our prepaid tips ($100 extra to everyone including maitre'd, waiters, cabin attendants, etc.) By your reasoning, because we over tip, Royal should acknowledge us too with perks because we spent a lot of money in relation to our status.  (FTR, We also bought the Key on our last cruise.)

Edited by cured

10 hours ago, grapau27 said:

D+ members not happy with the conversion of CL to Suite Lounge.

On Oasis class where the Suite prices are very high a SL is understandable and justified but on Freedom class etc?

On what ship was the CL converted to an SL?  I’m pretty sure on Freedom Class ships the CL’s are being converted to cabins. 

11 hours ago, Ysya said:

We have "earned"these perks as listed under the different levels.  We have "paid" for these so called perks many times over.  You obviously haven't been in the diamond lounge lately, because every diamond and Diamond plus members is furious.  You are welcome to give up all your perks as you wish. 

I am not furious. And did not encounter furious D + members either.

In our case, we have cruised and will cruise to enjoy ourselves, not earn perks and medals. I feel you are not enjoying your cruises one bit if you are getting so "furious".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, emdia43 said:

But RCCL still promises priority embarkation and disembarkation to Diamond level cruisers, in order to generate repeat business. On paper they haven't changed the rules, but according to OP they are not fulfilling their end of the bargain..... 

Embarkation is not checkin and security line. Once through security and checkin, you get priority boarding as the ship begins to board. Royal is not naïve in their Terms & Conditions Language. 

9 hours ago, nelblu said:

I'm D+ tier member and I don't ever recall a separate special line even when I was as someone said a lowly D member.  Once past security, I'm assigned check in the D+ queue line and boarded with the D/D+ members.  Maybe it's certain ports.

I've sailed many times out of Fort Lauderdale and had to snake to security in the general line.

That has also been our experience.

2 hours ago, LorraineP said:

After dry dock concierge lounges are being turned into suite lounges - so no select ships there. The only concierge lounge that I’m aware of is on the Anthem & Grandeur. 

Upgrades when available, well never available with RoyalUp

C&A Balcony discount - then why even put it as a perk

Robes - We had to ask on ours cruises, I wouldn’t never use but my DH does. 

Serenade and Brilliance still have a CL and even after Serenades Dry Dock. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I think a lot of the CL’s are turned into Cabins. This is what is happening on Freedom Class. 

That's correct.

The new suites on Oasis class  and their price tag deserve a dedicated SL which was a new thing and never a CL whereas I don't think the prices of suites on ships that had a CL justify exclusivity.

17 hours ago, Coralc said:

It's not surprising. I don't have high expectations with Royal Caribbean anymore. 

Yep.   We are D+ and for the first time in 10 years only have 1 RCI cruise booked for the future.  The only reason we haven’t cancelled it is that it’s the Brilliance Arctic TA on Sept 2, 2020 that hits Norway, Iceland, and Greenland.   It sold out in 4 months and is so unique we just can’t justify cancelling it.   Otherwise we have 3 cruises booked on X right now and two independent land vacations.   We have found the endlessly degrading product of RCI frustrating.   We will still sail

on them when the price, dates and itinerary fit,  but we have moved away from It being our go to option.   The tired itineraries, poor ship maintenance (especially the enchantment), worsening food, and declining service have made us slowly move on.

RCi doesn’t want us anyway.   We spend too little.  They need the first time cruisers to fill their boats and buy everything.  Not the veterans that know every trick to reduce onboard spend.  

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

That's correct.

The new suites on Oasis class  and their price tag deserve a dedicated SL which was a new thing and never a CL whereas I don't think the prices of suites on ships that had a CL justify exclusivity.

Let me disagree with you on this politely. 

We were on a 11 night Serenade cruise to the Southern Caribbean in November 2017. The CL was packed with all three parties trying to complete for space, Suites, Pinnacle’s, and D+. Each evening, someone in a party of P’s and D+, would reserve seats and tables. They seemed to prefer the stage area for their gatherings. It wasn’t manageable. Serenade still has a CL but we haven’t sailed on her sense.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cured said:

First of all, it is insulting to lump all new cruisers together that they cancel their tips. I am a relatively new cruiser and I would never dream of cancelling my prepaid tips. In fact, until I started reading here and had a few cruises under my belt, I didn't even know you could remove tips.  In my experience as a relatively new cruiser, the new cruiser doesn't really even know they are allowed to remove tips. It is the more experienced cruisers that remove tips.  And tips really have no bearing on changing perks because tips are not revenue bearing for Royal. 

To keep the growing population of higher status customers happy, Royal needs to find a way to pay for all those free drinks, more expensive amenities, and other perks that affect the bottom line.  Yes, you are valuable to Royal Caribbean which is why those free drinks and other amenities need to paid for somehow.  The alcohol companies are not donating the alcohol to Royal Caribbean.  

Makes sense that they would offer a perk for revenue to those that won't achieve that particular perk for a few years.  It is also likely to bring them back as repeat customers as they got a taste of what fun some perks can be.  It worked for us. We won our RoyalUp to a CL suite on our last cruise and loved it so much, we immediately turned around and booked another cruise in 2 suites rather than gambling on RoyalUp again.

A company's first and foremost loyalty is to their shareholders and their shareholders care about the bottom line.  It is a fine dance they need to play because ticking off good customers will affect the bottom line but so will giving costly perks to high status customers.  If revenue goes down, the first thing that will be cut is freebies. So be glad Royal is finding more and more ways to satisfy the bottom line and still give their loyal customers "free" perks.

Being from the UK there are many tipping threads on different forums where 90% are anti tipping and strangely P&O now include the tips,prices have hardly changed too.

New UK cruisers are advised to go to GS as soon as they get on the ship to stop gratuities which I and others who post here have stated 

I have been on Independence and Explorer this year from Southampton England and saw this.

RC are offering free gratuities for UK bookings next year for a reason.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LorraineP said:

Priority seating at theater, ice show and AquaTheater events NOW “THE KEY”, Suites & Pinnacles 

I had no problem accessing the reserved Aqua Theater seating on Oasis this week.  Just showed my D+ card and they let me in.  

Prior to Royal Up I never had an upgrade fairy do their magic for me.  

I sail in balcony cabins often now because they are often cheaper than OV and a small uplift over interior.  This varies of course, some ships like Vision and Radiance class don’t have many balconies so the math changes when there aren’t many balconies up for grabs.