Vaccinations

Floridiana

The Maasdam is in the South Pacific and passengers were denied going ashore by Fiji authorities because of the measles outbreak. Negotiations with the authorities now have the following results: You bring proof of vaccination or blood test with the presence of measles antibodies or you were born before 1956 or 1970 depending on where you grew up.

It would never have occurred to me to suddenly be forced to produce a blood test result. "Luckily" I am old. Anyway, our world cruise is not going to Fiji and Samoa. I guess and hope that American Samoa has a thorough vaccination program because we are going to Pago Pago. 

What's my point? Bring your vaccination booklet on the cruise. You may need it suddenly.

According to the list provided by the captain of the Maasdam, Europeans and Canadians born before 1970 need no proof. That's a very late start of widespread measles vaccinations.

I checked American Samoa. They want proof if you come from Tonga or Samoa. But you are right, things might be different when we cruise next year. Right now, the measles outbreak also includes NZ and the Philippines.