Cruise Critic Community
CarelessAndConfused

If you pay for the cruise and cannot take it, do you at least get the cruise credit?

8 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

This assumes that none of it was refunded or applied to a future cruise or anything like that.

Inside of final payment you will get the refundable portions back immediately. Non-refundable portions are non-refundable and would need to have an insurance policy to cover that portion. You mentioned nothing about insurance so I assume you have none. Port charges, taxes, and most everything added outside the fare is refundable. The cruise fare that is not insured will be subject to the cruise cancelation schedule in your contract. 

Edited by masterty

No.  Otherwise you could move up the Captain's Circle ladder by buying cheap one-day cruises with no intention of showing up.  

13 minutes ago, junglejane said:

No.  Otherwise you could move up the Captain's Circle ladder by buying cheap one-day cruises with no intention of showing up.  

This is kind of why I asked.  I am doing a B2B in October of 2020 (no insurance and don't care).  The first leg is a 1 day from Seattle to Vancouver and then a 4 day from Vancouver back to my home area in San Francisco.  Now for my Alaska trip, I will make sure get to Vancouver a day in advance.  But for this B2B, I was going to fly in on the 1 day cruise date.  If anything should go wrong, I figure I can pick up the cruise in Vancouver but would have at least like to get the credits for the 1 day cruise.

15 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

This is kind of why I asked.  I am doing a B2B in October of 2020 (no insurance and don't care).  The first leg is a 1 day from Seattle to Vancouver and then a 4 day from Vancouver back to my home area in San Francisco.  Now for my Alaska trip, I will make sure get to Vancouver a day in advance.  But for this B2B, I was going to fly in on the 1 day cruise date.  If anything should go wrong, I figure I can pick up the cruise in Vancouver but would have at least like to get the credits for the 1 day cruise.

Are you doing the Ruby for both cruises? With your itinerary, you do know you can't start on a ship in one US port and end on the same ship in a different US port without a night on land in between the two, right? It's a violation of the PVSA (Passenger Vessel Services Act). You can leave Seattle, switch ships in Vancouver, and then wind up in a different US port, but not stay on the same ship.

If it hasn't been flagged by Princess yet, it will be. 

Edited by idahospud

25 minutes ago, idahospud said:

Are you doing the Ruby for both cruises? With your itinerary, you do know you can't start on a ship in one US port and end on the same ship in a different US port without a night on land in between the two, right? It's a violation of the PVSA (Passenger Vessel Services Act). You can leave Seattle, switch ships in Vancouver, and then wind up in a different US port, but not stay on the same ship.

If it hasn't been flagged by Princess yet, it will be. 

I hadn't booked  the 1 day cruise yet but yes they were going to be on the Ruby.  It sounds like you're telling me I can't book the 1 Day cruise due to some act?  I appreciate you bringing this to my attention.  I guess I'm stuck with the 4 Day cruise only.  That's a shame, I may rather have done the 1 days cruise and spent that time in Vancouver if I had known.  No big deal, it's all good.

Edited by CarelessAndConfused
typo (changed can to can't)

Just now, CarelessAndConfused said:

I hadn't booked  the 1 day cruise yet but yes they were going to be on the Ruby.  It sounds like you're telling me I can book the 1 Day cruise due to some act?  I appreciate you bringing this to my attention.  I guess I'm stuck with the 4 Day cruise only.  That's a shame, I may rather have done the 1 days cruise and spent that time in Vancouver if I had known.  No big deal, it's all good.

Either the 4 day or the 1 day but not both. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

2 minutes ago, idahospud said:

Either the 4 day or the 1 day but not both. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

This puts a serious crimp in my plans to get to elite within 18 months of first cruise.  I was even going to use that 1 Dayer to triple up between single supplement and a suite to get 3 credits.  Oh well, the best laid plans often seem to go awry.  Thanks so much for the enlightenment!

The one day cruises run about $99, twice that for single supplement.  If this worked, you could get 14 credits (basically elite) with 7 cruises.  Shareholder benefit would be $50 for each cruise, so you could get to elite for about 7 x $150 = $1050.   For the same reason, hotel loyalty programs require people to actually show up.  Otherwise you could get top status through $29 rooms in the cheapest worldwide locations.  

Never mind.   I must have been seeing things.

Edited by waltd

1 hour ago, masterty said:

Inside of final payment you will get the refundable portions back immediately. Non-refundable portions are non-refundable and would need to have an insurance policy to cover that portion. You mentioned nothing about insurance so I assume you have none. Port charges, taxes, and most everything added outside the fare is refundable. The cruise fare that is not insured will be subject to the cruise cancelation schedule in your contract. 

You are 100% correct.

23 minutes ago, waltd said:

Never mind.   I must have been seeing things.

Me too. I was thinking of beginning to charge for it.