Cruise Critic Community
ak1004

Impressions from first time Crystal cruiser

Thank you @Keith1010You continue to amaze me with your wisdom.

For us, we made a decision few years ago to enjoy our cruises no matter what, and honestly, we never had a bad cruise. Not even on RCI. It's a human nature to compare products, but if this is all you do during your cruise, you won't have the time to enjoy it. Take it easy. You like Perrier but they have only Pellegrino? Who cares? Drink Pellegrino and enjoy it!! No Irish coffee in Bistro? Go one floor down and get it from the Crystal Cove!! Seriously? 

After sailing on Oceania and Azamara, we went back to Celebrity to sail with friends. I could start comparing the long lines and the service on Celebrity to Oceania - instead, I just accepted that Celebrity is not Oceania and enjoyed the cruise. 

Happy New Year and enjoy your cruises!! We are very fortunate to be able to cruise and enjoy such a wonderful cruise line!

My husband and I live part-time in New York City and enjoy many things about the city.  And we notice that many people come to NYC and seem to enjoy many of the things that we enjoy and plenty that we don't.  In NYC, there is something for everyone, but not everything is for everyone.  So, we have a saying "Everyone has their own New York City".

A couple of years ago based on what we noticed while sailing on various lines, we expanded that (and now I reference all the examples given in the previous posts, especially that of Keith!) to "Everyone has their own cruise".

On 12/26/2019 at 5:35 PM, Tarwood3 said:

So we were on this cruise as well...took my mom and her good friend with us ...We had done one previous Crystal cruise but it was on the yacht, Esprit which was phenomenal. We have mostly sailed on Silversea, Seabourn , REgent and Celebrity. After our experience on Esprit, we were very excited about this trip. In short, I have to say that we were disappointed in the ship. We loved the itinerary which is why we booked this cruise..itinerary is always number 1 for us when choosing a trip.  But compared to Silversea and Seabourn, we felt like it fell short of our expectations.  

Was service good on Crystal? Yes...but it’s good on SS and SB too.  

Was Food good? Yes, but nothing to write home about. In fact, in Waterside, we often had a hard time finding something that sounded good. What we had was good, but for us there wasnt enough variety that WE liked..however on the yacht, the menu was all so good and it was hard to make a decision.  We feel that SS and SB have the edge on food.  We did like Prego...went twice. Umi Uma was excellent.  Silk was good, nothing special. I know there was a lot of talk about the buffet..im pretty simple.  I eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch every day..so for me variety wasnt an issue.  It worked fine for me and was good and fresh.  

Was my room nice? Yes, very nice! We had a Seabreeze penthouse...beautifully decorated, comfortable , plenty of storage, nice bathroom, big shower.  It does photograph larger than it really is. 

So what did I feel was lacking? Pool area is a miss.  SS and SB have a mix of live music and music piped in throughout the day.  There was only a live band for one hour , otherwise dead quiet.  There ‘s no pool bar.  Great place for socializing. Will waiters bring you what you want? Yes...just like on SS and SB....however we couldn’t order food from our lounger like on SS and SB. Dont care for Trident Grill being inside..it’s small and misses the Pool Grill feel.  There’’s also NO restaurant out by pool area like on SS and SB for al fresco dinners at night..love sitting outside ...  We asked for a boozy coffee beverage at the Bistro  like an Irish Coffee , Aspen Coffee etc...nope...not available. We can even get that on Celebrity.  Just the regular coffee offerings are limited.   Crystal Cove is way too small to be the heart of the ship’s bar...  The theatre definitely reflects its age.  It barely slopes up, so you always have a head blocking part of the stage.  It’s just an awkward layout of the ship. ...  Plus I have never seen a. Cruise Director be M.I.A. So much.  We would see him briefly at night in his fussy dress whites announce what’s going on after the main show/entertainment.  He did nothing around the pool. He didnt seem to socialize and wander about the ship.  Oh, there were no fun pop up themed lunches by the pool. There were no going away parties or any fun parties on teh pool deck like Chocolate decadent extravaganzas, ...

Not that we like dinners with officers and performers but we saw none of that. We just didnt find the crew very engaging.  

We just felt like it was a very blah cruise...nothing that really set Crystal apart and unique.  It was just very non descript. 

Then we get home and on Xmas Eve, we get an email that Crystal canceled our Endeavor cruise around West Africa because they got a charter instead for that itinerary....it’s only offered once...so cant just change the date.. Very disappointing.  

So then we thought we would give Symphony a second chance and liked an itinerary in Asia for 13 days...only to find out that it’s $22k in a Seabreeze Penthouse Veranda...! Tha’ts $1700 a day, which is around what an expedition cruise is...so we dont feel that old ship is worth that much money per day.  So I would say we are done with Crystal for now....better ships, better cabins, better prices on SS and SB...

I was on this cruise as well. Clearly we were hanging out in different venues as I saw the Cruise Director several times daily such as introducing each of the lecturers, closing the 2 or 4 nightly shows, leading YMCA at the White Extravaganza, dancing with the guests at the dance parties post shows, wandering the ship checking the various entertainment venues before bedtime and live  on TV at 5pm for the ever important 5 o’clock trivia.