Cruise Critic Community
ak1004

Impressions from first time Crystal cruiser

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

Of course quality is a different issue

and that is a key issue 

I don’t normally eat buffet food - especially when there are excellent a la carte options available but I have tried Marketplaces offerings a few times and never been disappointed 

Now of course if they had a good Indian themed buffet I might make an exception 👍 

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

and that is a key issue 

I don’t normally eat buffet food - especially when there are excellent a la carte options available but I have tried Marketplaces offerings a few times and never been disappointed 

Now of course if they had a good Indian themed buffet I might make an exception 👍 

I detest buffets BUT I do enjoy the Indian themed one - we'll get TWO on our next B to B cruises!!! And if Lucose is on board, he is a good guide to what is best.

1 minute ago, suzeluvscruz said:

I detest buffets BUT I do enjoy the Indian themed one - we'll get TWO on our next B to B cruises!!! And if Lucose is on board, he is a good guide to what is best.

Maybe we can line up a few folk for an Indian banquet for lunch in Waterside? We’ve done that before and it was a lot of fun - a nice sea day activity 🙂

1 minute ago, Stickman1990 said:

Maybe we can line up a few folk for an Indian banquet for lunch in Waterside? We’ve done that before and it was a lot of fun - a nice sea day activity 🙂

You're on!!!! We'll be skipping dinner that night..........

Edited by suzeluvscruz

Stickman, count us in for an Indian lunch in waterside one day on our upcoming cruise. We've done one before and it was amazing - with the smell of the wonderful spices wafting around the dining room everyone wanted what we were having 🙂 

1 hour ago, suzeluvscruz said:

What? We're not going to be on the same cruise again? 😉 

1 hour ago, AtA said:

What? We're not going to be on the same cruise again? 😉 

You’re just a year late with your booking! 😂

On 12/14/2019 at 5:24 PM, ak1004 said:

Maybe I missed some non Asian dishes in Waterside, not sure.

Yes I had pasta yesterday in the buffet. There was only one choice (I remember 3-4 selections on Celebrity) and the pasta was just okay.

On Trident Grill I ordered steak sandwich which was just okay. Maybe rest of the menu is better, i’m just not a big fan of hamburgers.

And you are right, food is very subjective. Those are MY impressions based on three days so far, so definitely not final verdict.

If you eat in waterside you can always request items that are not on the menu, or request a different preparation of a dish. 

On 12/16/2019 at 8:34 AM, tipsygirl said:

If you eat in waterside you can always request items that are not on the menu, or request a different preparation of a dish. 

Yes just did. Requested cherry jubilee which was not in the menu. Got it the following day and it was fabulous!

On a related note,  They used to have black caviar on the dinner menu, didn’t they? I don’t think I have seen it.

7 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

On a related note,  They used to have black caviar on the dinner menu, didn’t they? I don’t think I have seen it.

They still do...  It's usually on the Black Tie Optional nights, though if/when you have a BTO-restricted/impaired itinerary I'm not sure how they reallocate the caviar.  Be careful to look for it on both sides of the menu -- some of the current preparations are classic, and some are modern.

Vince

On 12/15/2019 at 12:17 PM, ak1004 said:

I completely get your point.

In our case both excursions had very modern and comfortable buses so this was not the issue. Each excursion had around 80+ people and was split into 2 buses.

The simple solution was to book another bus so each bus has around 25-30 people instead of 40+. Maybe the tour operators did not have extra buses, drivers and guides? Possible. But it is also possible that Crystal selected not to pay for extra buses drivers and guides. Of course we have no way to know.

Follow up on the excursions.

We had 5 excursions so far. 4 of them had buses almost full, around 40 people or more. The last one the total number of people was 60 so it was split into 2 buses, 30 each.

it looks to me that Crystal made a decision (at least on this cruise) not to split the tours into more than 2 buses if there are around 80 people on the tour. I have a hard time to believe that tour operators in Mexico cannot provide extra buses and guides. I hope it’s  different in Europe, otherwise Crystal is no different from other lines when it comes to shore excursions.

On a related issue, when we came back from our excursion today at 1:40, the buffet was already closed. I understand that dining room is usually closed for lunch on port days, but closing the buffet at 1:30pm is very unusual. I have never seen it on other lines.

2 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

They still do...  It's usually on the Black Tie Optional nights, though if/when you have a BTO-restricted/impaired itinerary I'm not sure how they reallocate the caviar.  Be careful to look for it on both sides of the menu -- some of the current preparations are classic, and some are modern.

Vince

Well we had dinner in Prego on BTO night so probably missed it..

19 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

On a related issue, when we came back from our excursion today at 1:40, the buffet was already closed. I understand that dining room is usually closed for lunch on port days, but closing the buffet at 1:30pm is very unusual. I have never seen it on other lines.

Actually, Waterside is NOT closed on port days, that's when we've have some of our most relaxing lunches there. Indeed there are a few, and very few, times when Waterside closes for lunch such as after a string of sea days at the end of a crossing.

Too bad the Marketplace was closed but don't forget Silk, Trident Grill, Bistro and the ever wonderful Room Service! 😎

2 minutes ago, suzeluvscruz said:

Actually, Waterside is NOT closed on port days, that's when we've have some of our most relaxing lunches there. Indeed there are a few, and very few, times when Waterside closes for lunch such as after a string of sea days at the end of a crossing.

Too bad the Marketplace was closed but don't forget Silk, Trident Grill, Bistro and the ever wonderful Room Service! 😎

on our cruise Waterside was closed on most port days. Which I can completely understand. But when it’s closed, it would be appropriate to keep the buffet open at least till 2:30. They know that many excursions arrive around 1:30 so it seems really odd to close the buffet at 1:30.

For people like me who don’t like Asian food and don’t like hamburgers there only option today was Bistro. Which is fine, I like the Bistro, but it’s not a real lunch.

Wow,  being closed on most port days is a new thing, we just got off the ship at the end of November! Yes having Marketplace open later makes sense in that case.

47 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Well we had dinner in Prego on BTO night so probably missed it..

Ack!  Understood...  The BTO menus are my favorite in Waterside so I'd never book a specialty restaurant on those nights personally, but I know a lot of people that love doing the other restaurants on BTO nights, so you're in good company there.

Regarding Waterside closing for lunch, we've had reports on the boards of itineraries where it closed in more than one port for lunch on an itinerary, but it's been VERY rare.  I would be very disappointed if that happened to me -- it's my preferred lunch venue.  I'm ok with it being closed on occasion, but not if it's a regular occurrence.  Sadly though, the number of people dining in Waterside for lunch has been dropping on every cruise I've taken the past few years, so I wouldn't be surprised if changing tastes facilitate some changes in the offering eventually.  I wouldn't read that as what's happened here though -- I think we need more data points before we call this something new.

Vince

2 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

Ack!  Understood...  The BTO menus are my favorite in Waterside so I'd never book a specialty restaurant on those nights personally, but I know a lot of people that love doing the other restaurants on BTO nights, so you're in good company there.

Regarding Waterside closing for lunch, we've had reports on the boards of itineraries where it closed in more than one port for lunch on an itinerary, but it's been VERY rare.  I would be very disappointed if that happened to me -- it's my preferred lunch venue.  I'm ok with it being closed on occasion, but not if it's a regular occurrence.  Sadly though, the number of people dining in Waterside for lunch has been dropping on every cruise I've taken the past few years, so I wouldn't be surprised if changing tastes facilitate some changes in the offering eventually.  I wouldn't read that as what's happened here though -- I think we need more data points before we call this something new.

Vince

Well lesson learned regarding BTO. Will do better on the next cruise.

I know for sure that Waterside was closed on the last three port days. I just checked previous Reflections and it was indeed open on the first two port days, but only till 1pm. Which doesn’t really help people who take excursions and get back around 1-1:30.

35 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I just checked previous Reflections and it was indeed open on the first two port days, but only till 1pm. Which doesn’t really help people who take excursions and get back around 1-1:30.

Understand that when it says 1pm it means you can arrive anytime up to 1pm to start your meal - so you can stay later than that 

I am really perplexed why it would be shut so frequently 

22 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

I am really perplexed why it would be shut so frequently 

Just a thought and I have no idea if this went into the calculus, but as has been reported on various threads about this particular cruise, the price point was a bargain (dare I say cheap). Is it possible that Crystal was trying to do things to make sure that although they probably lost their shirt on this cruise, they didn't loose their trousers also. 😱🤓😎

Patty

Edited by Texas Tillie

4 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Just a thought and I have no idea if this went into the calculus, but as has been reported on various threads about this particular cruise, the price point was a bargain (dare I say cheap). Is it possible that Crystal was trying to do things to make sure that although they probably lost their shirt on this cruise, they didn't loose their trousers also. 😱🤓😎

Patty

I certainly hope this is not the case. And while it was cheap by Crystal standards, it was still significantly more expensive than similar cruises on Celebrity or Princess (and I know I'm not comparing apples to apples). 

But if this is the case, it could also explain the excursions issue I mentioned (group sizes).

too bad about them closing for lunch

we have been on the Caribbean cruise on Serenity I  have not noticed it closed on port days

We ate late one day at Trident  they have salads/sandwiches as well as the burgers

On 12/14/2019 at 3:19 PM, LHT28 said:

Thanks  for sharing

We are on Serenity  & I agree  the food is better on O

Shows have been good on both lines

Enjoy the cruise

We all are entitled to our opinions.

Food on O and Crystal are about equal overall. 

Oceania entertainment is not even in the same universe as Crystal entertainment. Crystal entertainment is often of the highest professional quality. O entertainment is good if you prefer high school level quality and sometimes it doesn't even measure up to that standard.

22 minutes ago, edgee said:

We all are entitled to our opinions.

very true

Opinions are like noses everyone has one but none are exactly the same 😉

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

very true

Opinions are like noses everyone has one but none are exactly the same 😉

And some people had made up their minds about their cruise even before they got on. 

It was quite clear based on their comments for months before they cruised.