Nieuw Amsterdam - December 14th - Azipod failure

iamwiz82

4 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

Good to know. Thank you.

Our cruise on NA is scheduled for January 4 so we are watching all this closely. Did running on just one effect the itinerary, changes to ports and times in ports? Just curious. 

Yes, Oosterdam could not make her usual transit speed during that 2006/2007 season which resulted in adjusted (less) times in, as I recall, Puerto Vallarta 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Himself said:

he gangway is still up but the web cam is focused on the ship.

The "Jetway-like" passenger gangway is not connected which is kinda strange if they're going to disembark pax however, you can just see the A-Deck crew gangway above the first fuel truck

4 minutes ago, Samanthac25 said:

The port schedule was just updated for a 16:00 departure for NA today but no reported destination yet

https://pevvesseltraffic.broward.org/webx/

Will be interesting to see if they actually depart. The departure time on the site has changed a few times in the last day or so. 

11 minutes ago, Samanthac25 said:

The port schedule was just updated for a 16:00 departure for NA today but no reported destination yet

https://pevvesseltraffic.broward.org/webx/

The last port and next port fields are not always filled in. If you look at other HAL ships on that page (Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam and even the 12/21 NA), both fields say TBD for all of them. So I don't think we should rely on that page to figure out where it's going next (if anywhere) .

It appears that there is another ship arriving at terminal 21 tomorrow night (JAUME II) so they will need to be gone by then.

55 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

The last port and next port fields are not always filled in. If you look at other HAL ships on that page (Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam and even the 12/21 NA), both fields say TBD for all of them. So I don't think we should rely on that page to figure out where it's going next (if anywhere) .

It appears that there is another ship arriving at terminal 21 tomorrow night (JAUME II) so they will need to be gone by then.

Not sure what it means but the 4:00pm departure is showing as confirmed so looks like it is moving somewhere. 

3 minutes ago, Samanthac25 said:

Looks like Freeport.

Which is where they have dry dock facilities. Which I'm thinking isn't looking good for this Saturday's sailing unless it's something they can do quickly. I'm assuming they can get to Freeport by tomorrow morning even at reduced speed.

Edited by MisterBill99

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I suspect it's also POSSIBLE that they could take an extra day or 2 if repairs happen and do a 5 or 6 day cruise on a repaired ship.  We should know in just under 3 hours.

Roy

I thought the announcement was going to be made by 3pm Tuesday?

15 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

Which is where they have dry dock facilities. Which I'm thinking isn't looking good for this Saturday's sailing unless it's something they can do quickly. I'm assuming they can get to Freeport by tomorrow morning even at reduced speed.

The distance from Port Everglades to Freeport is under 90 nautical miles. NADM should easily make the facilities at Freeport by tomorrow morning, even at a drastically reduced speed.

1 minute ago, richwmn said:

The distance from Port Everglades to Freeport is under 90 nautical miles. NADM should easily make the facilities at Freeport by tomorrow morning, even at a drastically reduced speed.

The reported ETA is 6:45am tomorrow. I am scheduled on the 12/21 sailing so I am REALLY hoping that this will be a quick repair!

4 minutes ago, Samanthac25 said:

The reported ETA is 6:45am tomorrow. I am scheduled on the 12/21 sailing so I am REALLY hoping that this will be a quick repair!

Hopefully you have a back up plan just in case they cancel.  Obviously they won't be able to move all of the passengers to other ships. 

Just now, ozzie0075 said:

Hopefully you have a back up plan just in case they cancel.  Obviously they won't be able to move all of the passengers to other ships. 

There's no back up plan for us. I worked 2 jobs and saved for over a year to be able to go on this vacation with my 14 year old daughter. I don't have the means to book another trip for next week if it's cancelled... In the event of a cancellation, we will be home with no holiday 😞 

I know that there are 2000 people anxiously awaiting to hear what the decision will be tomorrow. I am sure that I am not the only one that won't have a back up plan that involves a vacation.

24 minutes ago, Samanthac25 said:

There's no back up plan for us. I worked 2 jobs and saved for over a year to be able to go on this vacation with my 14 year old daughter. I don't have the means to book another trip for next week if it's cancelled... In the event of a cancellation, we will be home with no holiday 😞 

I know that there are 2000 people anxiously awaiting to hear what the decision will be tomorrow. I am sure that I am not the only one that won't have a back up plan that involves a vacation.

You bought/paid for your airfare to Fort Lauderdale, right?  And if HAL cancels the sailing, you will get a refund of your cruise fare.  So if you have a credit card you could book something else in the Fort Lauderdale area and use the refund from HAL to pay off the new/different vacation charge on your credit card.... if your personal circumstances permit that.

Edited by VennDiagram
  • Like 2

If the repairs can be done in four days in the shipyard in Freeport, she could be back in Port Everglades by Saturday morning for her next regularly scheduled departure. I would be interested in the technical nature of the repairs if anyone should find out such information.

13 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

If the repairs can be done in four days in the shipyard in Freeport, she could be back in Port Everglades by Saturday morning for her next regularly scheduled departure. I would be interested in the technical nature of the repairs if anyone should find out such information.

Remember just because it's going to Freeport It doesn't mean is going to drydock. We will all have to wait and see.

7 minutes ago, FLACRUISER99 said:

Remember just because it's going to Freeport It doesn't mean is going to drydock. We will all have to wait and see.

There is no other reason to go to Freeport, Grand Bahama Shipyard and its four dry-docks it is