Cruise Critic Community

I had actually answered this question in the general trip insurance forum, but on re-reading the GeoBlue Trekker choice coverage, it seems like that covers medical evacuation back to the US if needed as well, making Medjet redundant.  Is this the case, or is it better to have both?  My nightmare scenario is one of us gets ill or has a serious accident while on a cruise and we end up in a “good enough” hospital where we don’t speak the language and where we don’t have the confidence that our illness/injury will be treated properly.  I know with Medjet it’s a phone call to them after being admitted as an inpatient.  Does the same go for GeoBlue?  TIA

38 minutes ago, erdoran said:

I had actually answered this question in the general trip insurance forum, but on re-reading the GeoBlue Trekker choice coverage, it seems like that covers medical evacuation back to the US if needed as well, making Medjet redundant.  Is this the case, or is it better to have both?  My nightmare scenario is one of us gets ill or has a serious accident while on a cruise and we end up in a “good enough” hospital where we don’t speak the language and where we don’t have the confidence that our illness/injury will be treated properly.  I know with Medjet it’s a phone call to them after being admitted as an inpatient.  Does the same go for GeoBlue?  TIA

It's all in the wording, as with many contracts, and especially medical..

It is indeed the situation like with a "good enough" hospital... one that the INSURER determines is "good enough"...  You may not agree with that assessment.  In that case you'd need the MedJet coverage.

And that is why we keep the MJA!  So that WE can decide where to go if necessary.

GC

21 hours ago, erdoran said:

Hi erdoran,

The main differences, and advantages of MedJet vs GeoBlue, are

1) MedjetAssist members are transported without regard to medical necessity – they just have to be hospitalized as an inpatient more than 150 miles from home. Geo-Blue and all other travel insurance plans require the transport to be medical necessary.

2) MedjetAssist benefits are available within the U.S. as well as abroad. Geo-Blue only covers you outside the USA.

Steve