sea sickness remedies?

kits

Leave in 17 days (and who's counting?) for our first cruise. Any info from others about the best products to relieve nasuea or sea sickness? What works best, what is the cost, what are the side affects, and where do I buy them? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks:eek:

Try bonine (meclazine) you can get it at walmart, walgreens, target, or any drugstore. Costs about $5-$10

Take 1 or 2 (depending on your size) before bed the night BEFORE your cruise and then continue taking 1 or 2 every night of the cruise. If they make you drowsy, like some people claim, you'll be going to bed anyway so it wont matter. (FYI, they don't make me or my kids drowsy)

Like any new medication try it before you go just to make sure you don't suffer any ill effects.

Sorry no one answered you before this. I guess they figured you should do a "search" :rolleyes:

Have a wonderful trip!

~Connie

We use the Sea Bands. You wear them on both wrist (like little rubber bands with little balls that fit on the inside of your wrists. it uses accupressure to ward off sea sickness. (no ill side effects and can drink with these.)

At the first breakfast of our 1st cruise, we were told by seasoned cruisers, keep your stomach full. Woke up next morning a bit queezy, had breakfast and badda boom I'm good to go. I've been prone to motion sickness all my life. Maybe that's why they have so much food. Take a back up by all means, but I don't like taking medication if I don't have to.

Good luck. Let us know how it turned out.

I tried Gravol, made me even sicker. I tried the wrist bands, to no avail. I stuck it out another day after that & then was fine. However, they have various remedies available on the ship (ear patches were popular & will last a few days - you can get them at your pharmacy, or they were $25 for 4 on the ship). The wrist bands were $14.99 on board.

Seabands or ginger. You dont want to take too much bonine. Talk to your doctor. Many advice against the use of the patch. There is also a watch that pilots use that some doctors and travel agents recommend. I dont know the name of it but it uses vibration over pressure points.

We use the Sea Bands. You wear them on both wrist (like little rubber bands with little balls that fit on the inside of your wrists. it uses accupressure to ward off sea sickness. (no ill side effects and can drink with these.)

Highly recommend the seabands. Within five minutes of putting them on you are good to go and zero side effects other than they show with a short sleeved shirt . Cost is around $12 at Walmart. Ask at the Pharmacy counter as they keep them behind the counter. Evidently, they like to walk off the shelf and out of the store with out being paid for if left out.

Keep the drugs out of your system if at all possible.

• 2 weeks later...
Seabands or ginger. You dont want to take too much bonine. Talk to your doctor. Many advice against the use of the patch. There is also a watch that pilots use that some doctors and travel agents recommend. I dont know the name of it but it uses vibration over pressure points.

I have the watch that uses vibration which I call the electric shocker.It's really not bad. It is called Relief Band Explorer Motion Sickness Device. It works great, but it cost around $100. The medicines(even the less drowsy meclizine) knock me out cold and I am around 125 pounds. On a cruise I haven't felt seasick, but everyone is different.

The patch!!!! I always use the patch when I fly. I put it behind my ear and don't have to worry about it for 3 or 4 days. I get motion sickness bad and I travel a lot, this is the best thing I have ever found. I got my Dr to prescribe it, and I work at the hospital so it's fairly easy for me to get, but you could probably have your Dr call one or two in for you. I can't remember exactly what they cost, but it's not much. They're worth it!

All these things could work if you have normal seas. But, we hit a tropical storm our first night out on our first cruise. It was Oct 11, 2003. Tropical storm Marty was between NYC and Bermuda and we went through some of it. We heard we had 11 foot swells. If you get seas like that (and I hope to God you don't), then go to the ship's doctor and get a shot. We were fine having grown up on the Chesapeake Bay, but others weren't so lucky. ONe lady who was at our dining table couldn't eat. She was sick and had to go to her room. We saw her later on and she was much better. when asked what she did, she said she got a shot. Sleeping in 11 foot swells is another thing. Not as easy. But, we made it out OK.

Archived