DV v V cabin

harbourside

50 minutes ago, harbourside said:

One of the inclusions in a DV cabin is the cashmere blanket.  I was in a DV cabin but cannot remember any Cashmere Blanket. 

Is this meant to be the wool blanket across the end of the bed.

Yep.  I spent a few evenings on the cruise wrapped upon it, and wound up buying one after our cruise.  

9 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

And for what it’s worth, our V stateroom had one a couple of years ago when we first sailed on Viking Ocean.  Perhaps that has changed as since then we have been in DV or higher via promos.  

The reason I asked this question because I saw a passengers video of their V cabin, and it had the blanket. (it is not cashmere but NZ wool ) not that that matters, I like the blanket and probably would be the only thing I would miss in a V cabin if it was not supplied.  It definitely was a V cabin

18 hours ago, friendlyfifer said:

Wow not the most luxurious looking blanket. I don’t think it’s cashmere.

Actually, it is quite warm and absolutely NOT itchy.  I don’t think it is 100% cashmere, if I had to hazard a guess it is 50% merino/50% cashmere.  

The blankets with are provided, and laid across the foot of the bed in the Cabin D and DV On Viking Ocean Ships are Merino wool. No itch, just silky feeling comfort.

I have several pair of Merino Woool socks, a pair of merino wool gloves and mud wife's fave Tam hat is Merino. 

Looking forward to comfort like this in the evening on the veranda with wine!!!!!

• Like 1

RE: Viking Ocean Cruise Embarkation day

What would you recommend for planning/activities on Embarcation day on Viking Ocean Cruise ship, esp. Bergen-Iceland?

We have done several Viking River Cruises but no experience on the Ocean Ships.

4 hours ago, grimsbybud said:

What would you recommend for planning/activities on Embarcation day on Viking Ocean Cruise ship, esp. Bergen-Iceland?

If you are early enough, the weather is nice and it is late Spring, Summer or early Fall, go up Floyen, the funicular that is walking distance from the ship. Crowds thin out by afternoon and the view is fantastic. You can walk back down if you want some exercise.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, janetcbl said:

If you are early enough, the weather is nice and it is late Spring, Summer or early Fall, go up Floyen, the funicular that is walking distance from the ship. Crowds thin out by afternoon and the view is fantastic. You can walk back down if you want some exercise.

Don't let the weather hold you back in Bergen!  I took the funicular in September during a heavy rainstorm (all too common in the city).  There's a restaurant on top that's a great place to hang out during inclement weather.  Every so often the clouds would clear and the views would open up. 

Also consider the KODE museums in central Bergen.  My wife and I were fortunate to see an Edvard Munch exhibition in one of the museums.

Final note:  The ship docks just a few hundred meters from "Old Bergen," which is well worth seeing.  It's an easy walk and on the way to the funicular.

• Thanks 1

On 1/2/2020 at 6:56 AM, grimsbybud said:

Do the funicular as it offers great views of Bergen, then walk back to ship as lots of shops and bars on the way back, if a nice day stop for a drink and people watch. There is a good museum also down there with the remains of a Viking ship.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for this, Respbj

Our Cruise is on the Viking Star and will sail from Bergen, through Fjorldand and to Faroes before Iceland circumnavigation.
We had planed to include the Funicular and Museum in our first full day excursion selection. 

As we will be going in to Bergen from Oslo via the train over the peninsula, we are not sure ow late we will be arriving in Bergen, Wording in the information on this component seems to indicate the rail journey (Oslo-Bergen) will see us getting in to Bergen and embarking mid afternoon, or later, not leaving a great deal of time for "outing and abouting".

How recently was your cruise to Bergen. and, are you willing to connect outside this link. Not a big fan of open forum detailed connection.

B

I take it you are doing "Icelands Majestic Landscapes"? We took it this past summer and loved it! As for the train trip from Oslo, it leaves around 8:30 am, takes about 6.5 hours if I remember correctly, getting into Bergen around 3ish. It is so easy to check out Old City Bergen and the fish market. It will be tempting to eat at the market but there will be plenty of great food on your nearby ship! Enjoy your trip!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, retiredman said:

I take it you are doing "Icelands Majestic Landscapes"? We took it this past summer and loved it! As for the train trip from Oslo, it leaves around 8:30 am, takes about 6.5 hours if I remember correctly, getting into Bergen around 3ish. It is so easy to check out Old City Bergen and the fish market. It will be tempting to eat at the market but there will be plenty of great food on your nearby ship! Enjoy your trip!

And since it is summer the daylight hours are long... so plenty of time to skip around town a bit.

• Thanks 1

Hi Liz,

In order to defeat the jet lag, we will be flying to Oslo for two days before the train to Bergen.

What you advise is a big help, as we are first timing Viking Ocean Ships. We are getting KEEN!!!!!!!

If I may, I find "open Forums" an uncomfortable situation but am willing to continue, here.  However, an e-mail connection for has been preferable on other sites and situations like Trip Advisor. 

Bud

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Apologies right off for the long, detailed, ask here.

As I have noted in earlier posts, we are booked on Viking Ocean Cruise's Viking Sky "Iceland's Majestic Landscapes" with the extra "Pre" in Oslo and the train package to Bergen at the beginning of June (2020). 

This post is intended to solicit comments on "Shore Excursions and tours" during the cruise Bergen/Iceland.

Our window to book excursions opens Feb 14  so we want to be ready to get in and book what we want. We've made choices but do have questions as to possibles. If you have any thoughts on one, or the other, of these options at each port of call, please advise!!

The "day" sequences are after arrival in Bergen.

Day 2-In Bergen, first full day: option of Included, 2 hour, "Discover Bergen Motor Coach Tour and do the Funicular on our own afterwards, or pay for the 4 hour "Snap Shot" of Bergen with includes the Funicular with tour guide and poke about Bryggen on our own after Lunch aboard?

Day 3- Flåm  The included 2 hour Motor Coach tour "Surroundings of Flåm", or the 3.5 hour "Panoramic Half -Day Railway Journey" (this looks the better)

Day 4- Ẵlesund The 2 hour "Art Nouveau" walking tour, or the 3.5 Hour the "Islands of Giske and Godøy". Added question is , how long is the Motor Coach ride to get there, and back?

-------

Day 7 Tóshaven, Faroe Islands  The 2 hour Faroe Islands Vistas, or  the 4 hour '"Islands of Vágar.".Both on Motor Coaches

-----

Day 9 Seydisfjördur -Self exploration of the town,  or  3.5 hour "Skálanes nature and Heritage Centre"

Day 10 Akureyri -2 hour  "Panoramic Akureyri" , or " Akureyri Architecture and Godafoss Falls" (worth the cost?)

Day 11  Ísa Fjördur  2 hour  Motor Coach tour and walk  "Ísa Fjördur and Bolaungarvík Village", or  3 hour "Flowers and Fjords"  Botanical Garden

Day 12 Reykjavík 3.5 hour "Panoramic Reykjavík", or 4 hour "Reykjanes Penninsula and Viking World Museum"

I know this is a lot to ask but, as I've said in earlier posts, we're 3-time Viking river folks and are of "an age" and need to be sure that the trip experience is best it can be.

Also, comments on group sizes for tours on Ocean Cruises? We're used to the 40max/guide ratio on the River Excursions

My sincere thanks to all of you who take the time to assist us!

Bud