Charged for cancelling cruise in May PLUS 100 dollars fee

Niagarawine

10 minutes ago, Niagarawine said:

I called to cancel eclipse in May because of issues and celebrity informs me they will take another 100 to gouge me, 

I suspect you misunderstand.  Perhaps the total charge is $100 a person to cancel your non refundable deposit cruise?  The remainder of your deposit can be applied to another cruise?

The bottom line it may not be an additional charge.

Edited by jagoffee

did you book through an agency - they often have additional cancellation charges.  However, I did come across this with Marella where I canceled last min a fully paid  "all in" cruise.  I didn't expect any money refunded however was shocked that I was charged an additional £45 to cancel and get the cancellation paperwork I required for my insurance company.

Normal NRD terms are 100$pp fee and the rest of the deposit as a future cruise credit (FCC). I.e. if you paid 500$pp deposit, you would lose 100$pp as the cancellation fee, and have a 800$ (400$pp) FCC issued, which is to be claimed within a year.

Edited by mikkelhansen
  • Like 3

I, like others am a bit confused.  I'm from Canada as well and my last two bookings (1 refundable and 1 non-refundable) are clear that there is no cancellation fee if cancelled more than 90 days out.  Given that my non-refundable cruise would be limited to the amount of the non-refundable deposit.

And to clarify, this is directly with Celebrity or through a TA?

Please provide more details.  Does your cruise include any additional items such as airfare, pre-post hotel, etc.

Edited by RickT

30 minutes ago, mikkelhansen said:

Normal NRD terms are 100$pp fee and the rest of the deposit as a future cruise credit (FCC). I.e. if you paid 500$pp deposit, you would lose 100$pp as the cancellation fee, and have a 800$ (400$pp) FCC issued, which is to be claimed within a year.

mikkelhansen is absolutely correct. If you do a booking, once the final screen appears and the pop-up comes into view showing your total amount, scroll to the bottom and read the fine white print on the black background. That says it all.

3 hours ago, mayleeman said:

I just cancelled a cruise for April because of medical issues, and Celebrity's rep moved all of our payments (including the NRD) to another cruise (same ship) we had scheduled next November. No fee! (No insurance with X either.)

They do make exceptions due to medical issues, so it is always good to share that information...

• Like 1

I checked my reservation on Celebrity today and they did not cancel my cruise. I called the Captains club and he told me it was still active so I again stated I was cancelling and explained what I was told yesterday. He said she was wrong and tha I would be charged 100 per person fee and the rest would go towards a future cruise credit, different answers from different people. Also I had booked with th classic package and then eat of the 14 dollar gratuity per day so this also played a part in my cancellation. 

• Like 2

I called my TA the other day to cancel a cruise from Chile to San Diego before final payment. We just moved it out to 2022. I would never book a non-refundable cruise. Well lets say, if I booked a cruise within 90 days of sailing it would be non-refundable.