pocket knife

yankeenurse

11 minutes ago, yankeenurse said:

My husband carries a pocket knife in his bag. Will that be allowed? We are sailing on the Ecstasy in 5 days.

I take a pocket knife with me on our cruises, never been questioned. I keep it in my checked luggage. Did have one confiscated by TSA . Put it in my carryon by mistake.

Edited by skrufy
Addition

I carried my pocket knife with me on the Dream last July. Nobody batted an eye when I emptied my pockets for the metal detectors. We sailed out of Galveston, and I live here in Texas and our knife laws are very knife friendly. Can't speak for other ports of departure, where the knife laws may be more restrictive in that particular state. As loang as the knife does not exceed the maximum blade allowed on a ship, you are good to go. 

Be sure that he carries it in his pocket, and not in in his carry on as skrufy just said.

8 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

I carried my pocket knife with me on the Dream last July. Nobody batted an eye when I emptied my pockets for the metal detectors. We sailed out of Galveston, and I live here in Texas and our knife laws are very knife friendly. Can't speak for other ports of departure, where the knife laws may be more restrictive in that particular state. As loang as the knife does not exceed the maximum blade allowed on a ship, you are good to go. 

Be sure that he carries it in his pocket, and not in in his carry on as skrufy just said.

Carry on or pocket makes no difference for the ship boarding. Can’t be in either one for TSA as Skrufy mentioned.

7 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Carry on or pocket makes no difference for the ship boarding. Can’t be in either one for TSA as Skrufy mentioned.

You can bring a pocket knife in checked baggage, carry on not. I always travel with my Leatherman

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, groundloop said:

Maybe a stupid question, but what purpose does a pocket knife serve on a cruise ship?

I use mine for all sorts of things: It serves as a screw driver, or help in opening a package, cutting string, or even opening up a toilet paper dispenser if i am somewhere where the available roll is empty.

TSA had taken my knives over the years.  They have always been "Gentlemen's knife",  stainless usually about 3" long.  It never made sense to go back to the parking lot and my car to get rid of them.  There's a place in Scottsboro, AL which has an unclaimed luggage store.  Might run down there and try to purchase some back!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, coevan said:

what are you saying? I also pack my dive knife in my luggage, never a problem and a lot bigger than a leatherman. It is TSA permissable

Nobody said it wasn’t.

5 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

For TSA regulated check ins. I stand by my statement from experience.

6 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

If you would take the time to read what I posted, it is very clear that I said those knives are allowed by TSA (air travel) in checked luggage. Pocket knife is only allowed in carry on at the ship. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, groundloop said:

Maybe a stupid question, but what purpose does a pocket knife serve on a cruise ship?

I’m not so much worried about having my pocket knife on the ship as I am having it when I’m in port somewhere. I’d rather have something better, but I can survive with a knife. 

Pro tip: learn some basic hand to hand self defense, as well as offense. If you feel like learning a little more, learn some knife fighting techniques INCLUDING disarming techniques. Am I advocating losing your life in a foreign land when you could just give the robber your money? No. But this will serve you and your family well at home also. I’m partial to Krav Maga. But situational awareness and common sense are the most important, at home and abroad. 

Also pro tip: If you don’t want to risk having your prized pocket knife confiscated even though the policy allows it, leave it at home... and before you leave the ship for whatever port you’re in, take a steak knife off the ship for your trip into port. 

Also also pro tip: if you’re carrying a knife (pocket knife, steak knife, pen knife, anything bladed) into a foreign land, familiarize yourself with the local laws and ordinances so you don’t end up getting in trouble for having a weapon where you shouldn’t have one. 

I’m not a lawyer and I’m not giving legal advice, and I’m not directing anyone to carry a knife on their person where it is not allowed. What I AM, though, is prepared for my well being and that of my family. I know a thing or two... because I’ve seen a thing or two. Or twelve. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DubNHub said:

I’m not so much worried about having my pocket knife on the ship as I am having it when I’m in port somewhere. I’d rather have something better, but I can survive with a knife. 

Pro tip: learn some basic hand to hand self defense, as well as offense. If you feel like learning a little more, learn some knife fighting techniques INCLUDING disarming techniques. Am I advocating losing your life in a foreign land when you could just give the robber your money? No. But this will serve you and your family well at home also. I’m partial to Krav Maga. But situational awareness and common sense are the most important, at home and abroad. 

Also pro tip: If you don’t want to risk having your prized pocket knife confiscated even though the policy allows it, leave it at home... and before you leave the ship for whatever port you’re in, take a steak knife off the ship for your trip into port. 

Also also pro tip: if you’re carrying a knife (pocket knife, steak knife, pen knife, anything bladed) into a foreign land, familiarize yourself with the local laws and ordinances so you don’t end up getting in trouble for having a weapon where you shouldn’t have one. 

I’m not a lawyer and I’m not giving legal advice, and I’m not directing anyone to carry a knife on their person where it is not allowed. What I AM, though, is prepared for my well being and that of my family. I know a thing or two... because I’ve seen a thing or two. Or twelve. 

I can't speak for the OP, but my tiny little pocket knife would never be considered a defensive weapon or deterent! Good advice: Don't bring it if you fear losing it. Not sure how they'd feel about trying to carry a steak knife off the ship, let alobe getting it back on.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Bookster99 said:

I can't speak for the OP, but my tiny little pocket knife would never be considered a defensive weapon or deterent! Good advice: Don't bring it if you fear losing it. Not sure how they'd feel about trying to carry a steak knife off the ship, let alobe getting it back on.

You never know. Most attackers don’t expect a fight, and they get thrown off their plan if you don’t act like a normal victim. Don’t bring a knife to a gun fight though. Better off complying.... live to fight another day, etc. 

As far as getting the steak knife off the ship... grab it from the buffet before you leave the ship. You don’t get searched on the way out. And you shouldn’t get busted bringing it back on board either... after all, if they trust you cutting your steak in the dining room, why wouldn’t you be allowed to bring it on board? “I took it off in case I bought some fresh fruit to eat in port” is a good excuse. 

Or if you’re worried, find a trash can in port and throw it away before boarding the ship. No one is any wiser. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, DubNHub said:

You never know. Most attackers don’t expect a fight, and they get thrown off their plan if you don’t act like a normal victim. Don’t bring a knife to a gun fight though. Better off complying.... live to fight another day, etc. 

As far as getting the steak knife off the ship... grab it from the buffet before you leave the ship. You don’t get searched on the way out. And you shouldn’t get busted bringing it back on board either... after all, if they trust you cutting your steak in the dining room, why wouldn’t you be allowed to bring it on board? “I took it off in case I bought some fresh fruit to eat in port” is a good excuse. 

Or if you’re worried, find a trash can in port and throw it away before boarding the ship. No one is any wiser. 

I'd be the guy who stabbed myself, and get back on the ship covered in blood. At least I'd LOOK like Iwas in a fight!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Why bring a weapon onto a cruise? All it takes is for someone to get drunk and do something stupid to another passenger. I also don't think they are allowed but hey......

Since when is a pocket knife with a blade less than 4 inches a weapon? It is a tool. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Why bring a weapon onto a cruise? All it takes is for someone to get drunk and do something stupid to another passenger. I also don't think they are allowed but hey......

A knife is a tool, not a weapon.

A wine bottle is a weapon.

Yes, folding knives with blades less than four inches are allowed onboard.

• Like 2