Self Guided Tour Bonaire

whitford

We are in our late 60's and quite fit, live in Montana. Would like to know your experiences with a self guided tour for Bonaire. Is it safe? What were you favorite things to do, secret tips and things to avoid. Really getting tired of the BIG bus excursions. Would prefer to get to know the real culture and people.Any in sites will be quite helpful.

Thanks

On 12/20/2019 at 8:21 AM, WisconsinFan said:

We haven't done it yet, going in April, but we are renting a golf cart. Look up Bonaire Cruisers on Google and YouTube. It looks like great fun.

It was great fun! Bonaire Cruisers was terrific to deal with and very professional on our trip last year. Provided full maps and several different routes depending on what was of interest.  We brought a packable collapsible cooler from home and the first stop was the market for ice, drinks and snacks. Stopped for lunch, some fun beaches for swimming. Highly recommend! Second adventure on the same day after returning the golf cart was a water taxi to Klein Bonaire for a few hours. No amenities on this most gorgeous non crowded beach and again made the most of our cooler for drinks and snacks. PERFECT DAY and looking forward to doing it all over again in January. Felt totally safe all over the Island during our cart touring as well as our time on Klein.    

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2019 at 11:03 PM, Crusinsusan2 said:

It was great fun! Bonaire Cruisers was terrific to deal with and very professional on our trip last year. Provided full maps and several different routes depending on what was of interest.  We brought a packable collapsible cooler from home and the first stop was the market for ice, drinks and snacks. Stopped for lunch, some fun beaches for swimming. Highly recommend! Second adventure on the same day after returning the golf cart was a water taxi to Klein Bonaire for a few hours. No amenities on this most gorgeous non crowded beach and again made the most of our cooler for drinks and snacks. PERFECT DAY and looking forward to doing it all over again in January. Felt totally safe all over the Island during our cart touring as well as our time on Klein.    

Thanks for the information! We are looking forward to it. I like the idea of a small cooler for beverages. I have heard great things about Klein Bonaire so we will have to see how that works with our all aboard time or how tired we are after our day of adventuring.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2019 at 11:21 AM, WisconsinFan said:

We haven't done it yet, going in April, but we are renting a golf cart. Look up Bonaire Cruisers on Google and YouTube. It looks like great fun.

We rented the golf cart a few years ago. It was by far the best excursion we ever did. make sure you have sun screen, hats, water and if you leave the golf cart for any reason do not leave anything that you don't want to loose.  Nothing happened to us but I have heard of people that had backpacks on the golf cart & were off taking pictures & someone came up and stole their items.

Be safe with eyes open.

• Like 1

I read on the Bonaire website about a "Nature Tag". Suggests you have to have one to enter the water around Klein Bonaire. Tags are $25/pp but I haven't seen anyone mention them here on cc. We are landsailing in the morning and thought about taking a ferry over to Klein Bonaire and didn't know if we needed these "Nature Tags". Thanks. 

• 3 months later...
On 12/21/2019 at 11:03 PM, Crusinsusan2 said:

Hi Susan!  We are renting a golf cart as well in Bonaire.  How did you know what beaches to stop at for swimming?  My DH would like to snorkel too if he can, but we're not sure how to identify those places?

Hi! Most beaches were marked on the maps they provided, but its super easy to spot what looks good and where you want to stop. Also saw people parked and snorkling. If I can remember correctly the snorkling spots were also marked on the map. You really can't go wrong following the routes they provide. They were so darn nice I bet if you asked they would also mark the maps for you like they did for us regarding the grocery store. Have a blast!      

I read on the Bonaire website about a "Nature Tag". Suggests you have to have one to enter the water around Klein Bonaire. Tags are $25/pp but I haven't seen anyone mention them here on cc. We are landsailing in the morning and thought about taking a ferry over to Klein Bonaire and didn't know if we needed these "Nature Tags". Thanks. 

Cruise passengers don’t need a nature tag.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Forums