On Board Currency

tvlgoddess

First time on Viking Ocean and booked an Australia / Asia cruise in Canadian dollars.  Was told by a Viking Rep that I booked with last week that my gratuities is a “set amount” in Cdn $ that I can pay before boarding, no conversion rate.  All other purchases on board like tours or a drink will be in Euros because the ship is registered in the Netherlands.  Is this correct? 

3 hours ago, tvlgoddess said:

First time on Viking Ocean and booked an Australia / Asia cruise in Canadian dollars.  Was told by a Viking Rep that I booked with last week that my gratuities is a “set amount” in Cdn $ that I can pay before boarding, no conversion rate.  All other purchases on board like tours or a drink will be in Euros because the ship is registered in the Netherlands.  Is this correct? 

As a fellow Canadian, in addition to the base fare, which we pay in CAN $, any tours that we book online (pre-cruise) are priced in CAN $. While the tours are priced in CAN $, they do use an exchange rate to convert from the US $ pricing. When I compared the US $ pricing to our CAN $ pricing, the exchange rate they used was slightly favourable, being a little less than current rates.

If you have OBC from Viking in US $, it is converted to CAN $ with only a 25% uplift. If your TA provides OBC, they can only provide up to the max in CAN $, which is then converted down to US $.

Once onboard, everything is in US $.

Thanks for all your replies.  That is what I thought, it was just odd that he told me on board currency is Euros.

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

If you have OBC from Viking in US $, it is converted to CAN $ with only a 25% uplift. If your TA provides OBC, they can only provide up to the max in CAN $, which is then converted down to US $.

I guess Viking does it differently...It does not remind in USD as a OBC that I can use for on board spending instead converting it back to Cdn

3 hours ago, tvlgoddess said:

Thanks for all your replies.  That is what I thought, it was just odd that he told me on board currency is Euros.

I guess Viking does it differently...It does not remind in USD as a OBC that I can use for on board spending instead converting it back to Cdn

My explanation was for Viking Ocean.

However, I should have clarified that the OBC converted to Canadian is only the OBC we were provided for tours. The other OBC's remain in US $ and will be available for spending onboard.