Jump to content

Caribe Deck On Coral


ShorethingBob
 Share

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, ShorethingBob said:

Thanks to both of you!!!! 

That is great.  This will be our first for Princess and Alaska!

 

If you are anything like us, you will be hooked.  It is absolutely our favorite itinerary and have our 13th sailing up that way booked.  Why go elsewhere when we love it up in Alaska so very much.  Also, I really like the Coral ... she is a perfect size.  Enjoy!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

 

If you are anything like us, you will be hooked.  It is absolutely our favorite itinerary and have our 13th sailing up that way booked.  Why go elsewhere when we love it up in Alaska so very much.  Also, I really like the Coral ... she is a perfect size.  Enjoy!! 

Now I have to start working on stuff to do in port.   There is a ton and we are taking a group of 20-30 people. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, ShorethingBob said:

Now I have to start working on stuff to do in port.   There is a ton and we are taking a group of 20-30 people. 

 

You will have such a blast.  We've always done something different each and every time we've gone there.  Tours can be pricey but you can also do some things that are relatively inexpensive and still a lot of fun.  Alaska is one of several places where I feel very comfortable just doing tours on our own.  I highly recommend seeing going up to the Mendenhall Glacier, including the visitor's center, if Alaska is to be a one and done.  But, if you have a lot of beer enthusiasts in your group, you can just head over to the Alaska Brewing Company for a nominal fee (tours are set up and paid for right in town and they take you out to the brewery at set times throughout the day).  And, no trip to Juneau is complete without stopping in at the Red Dog Saloon.  But, there are also a million other things to do there ... ranging from free to hundreds of dollars pp.  

In Skagway, I highly recommend the White Pass Railroad.  This is one you can purchase right off the ship without paying a lot extra.  If you get in early, though, you can go into town and buy them at the depot but boarding will be right there where the ship docks so, save yourself that hassle and just get them from onboard the ship.  

Ketchikan has a fun Lumberjack Show ... some might think it is hoaky but, I think it was a lot of fun.  Just get your tickets in town if you plan on doing that.  Take your AAA card if you have one and you can get a discount on your tickets.  You can also hike up Married Man's Trail to the top for some beautiful views.  And, if you come down the stairs on the other side, you can hoof it down to the fish ladder and then off to the fish hatchery.  For a real Alaskan dive bar experience, stop in at the Sourdough Bar before heading back to the ship ... don't forget to check out all the photographs on the wall ... there are stories behind each and every picture and if you are lucky enough to find a local at the bar that is willing to tell you about a story or two, buy them a drink.  We've met the nicest people in there and so as a tradition, we stop by every time we are in town.  

In Victoria, I would skip Butchart Gardens and head over to Beacon Hill Park for a similar and walkable experience.  You will even pass by Mile O of the Pan American Highway if you do go there.  I would do a big loop to end up back at the Empress, Parliament Building, British Columbia Museum of Natural History with a totem pole park outside, etc.  So many things to do there ... either by walking or by horse drawn carriage.  

Well, I could go on and on about all my favorite things to do up there being from the Lower 48 (as they refer to us) ... and we're not done going yet!!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/23/2019 at 10:31 AM, Cruise Raider said:

 

You will have such a blast.  We've always done something different each and every time we've gone there.  Tours can be pricey but you can also do some things that are relatively inexpensive and still a lot of fun.  Alaska is one of several places where I feel very comfortable just doing tours on our own.  I highly recommend seeing going up to the Mendenhall Glacier, including the visitor's center, if Alaska is to be a one and done.  But, if you have a lot of beer enthusiasts in your group, you can just head over to the Alaska Brewing Company for a nominal fee (tours are set up and paid for right in town and they take you out to the brewery at set times throughout the day).  And, no trip to Juneau is complete without stopping in at the Red Dog Saloon.  But, there are also a million other things to do there ... ranging from free to hundreds of dollars pp.  

In Skagway, I highly recommend the White Pass Railroad.  This is one you can purchase right off the ship without paying a lot extra.  If you get in early, though, you can go into town and buy them at the depot but boarding will be right there where the ship docks so, save yourself that hassle and just get them from onboard the ship.  

Ketchikan has a fun Lumberjack Show ... some might think it is hoaky but, I think it was a lot of fun.  Just get your tickets in town if you plan on doing that.  Take your AAA card if you have one and you can get a discount on your tickets.  You can also hike up Married Man's Trail to the top for some beautiful views.  And, if you come down the stairs on the other side, you can hoof it down to the fish ladder and then off to the fish hatchery.  For a real Alaskan dive bar experience, stop in at the Sourdough Bar before heading back to the ship ... don't forget to check out all the photographs on the wall ... there are stories behind each and every picture and if you are lucky enough to find a local at the bar that is willing to tell you about a story or two, buy them a drink.  We've met the nicest people in there and so as a tradition, we stop by every time we are in town.  

In Victoria, I would skip Butchart Gardens and head over to Beacon Hill Park for a similar and walkable experience.  You will even pass by Mile O of the Pan American Highway if you do go there.  I would do a big loop to end up back at the Empress, Parliament Building, British Columbia Museum of Natural History with a totem pole park outside, etc.  So many things to do there ... either by walking or by horse drawn carriage.  

Well, I could go on and on about all my favorite things to do up there being from the Lower 48 (as they refer to us) ... and we're not done going yet!!  

WOW!!!  Thanks I may end up picking your brain as my planning process picks up steam!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, ShorethingBob said:

WOW!!!  Thanks I may end up picking your brain as my planning process picks up steam!!!

 

Please feel free to do so!!  Cruising is my passion and finding bargains make it all that much more fun!   And Alaska?  Well, there is just no beating that itinerary in my book!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/20/2019 at 11:14 AM, ShorethingBob said:

We have gotten a Mini Suite on Caribe Deck Forward for the Coral Princess in Alaska.  Does anybody know if these balconies are covered? 

 

We LOVE the forward mini suites on the Caribe deck on the Coral!  We have been there on two recent Alaska cruises—and we have another one scheduled there in 2021.  If you don’t already know, the forward viewing deck on the Caribe deck is SO close by.  It is amazing and is only lightly utilized.  It by far is our favorite place to whale watch and to watch as we came into port.  It’s generally open during the day—although it can roped off at night or during windy time periods.  

 

There is also a forward viewing deck on the Baja deck, although I think it may be slightly smaller.  There isn’t any formal seating on either of these forward viewing decks, but they are great nonetheless!! 

D5843ACC-FF91-47BF-95EE-76C899314394.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ShorethingBob said:

Thoughts on the Tour Saver Book?

 

You've stumped me there ... I never looked into the Tour Saver Book.  Most of my information has come from these boards.  

I began cruising before I even knew about cruise critic and learned some stuff the hard way!  Since I started up on these boards, though, I've learned so many money saving tips as well as how to enhance each cruise.  

One thing that I think would be awesome, if itinerary allows for it, would be to take the small boat or depending on your level of adventure, kayak up to the face of the glacier.  It is so pricey but, if it fits into your budget (It's never fit into mine) they pick up a relatively small number of passengers right from the ship while sailing in the fjord (Tracy Arm) and take you back to Juneau, where the ship docks later in the day.  You get to go up close to all things nature!!  

The only problem with booking tours ahead of time on your own is if the ship can't dock in a particular port ... is there a refund policy if that happens?  We've never experienced that up in Alaska, though .... just something to keep in mind.  We usually just walk up to the kiosks or visitor's center in town and choose something that looks interesting from those choices.  Oftentimes, we found that they have discount coupons in the visitor's center and those at the kiosks may negotiate, depending on the number of passengers in a group.  

Now, since you mention the Tour Saver Book, I am going to have to look into that for my next (13th) Alaskan sailing booked for September.  I'm always am looking for a good bargain!  

 

BTW .... the Coral is one of my favorite Princess ships ... just the right size!!  

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We love Chilkoot Tours in Skagway and do their van ride up / train down itinerary.  Alaska is wonderful and the Coral is a terrific ship for this region. Wide wrap-around Promenade Deck, public viewing on aft decks, game room on Deck 8 with large viewing windows opposite the roomy library equipped with big windows and some very comfy chairs (beat that, Royal Princess! 😊).   
 

We took a large-group family cruise to Alaska, and our only rule was that we all showed up for dinner (assigned tables but we mixed up who was sitting at each table depending on our whims), with everyone free to do whatever for the rest of the time.  What fun - have a terrific time!

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2019 at 8:38 AM, ShorethingBob said:

Thoughts on the Tour Saver Book?

Toursaver book is great if it saves you more money than it costs. You have to evaluate. Note that each book has coupons usually good for only 2 people and the operators take a limited number of coupons for each tour. So you won't get a discount for your entire group. Still can be a good deal.

 

Also with such a large group you don't have to all do the same thing in each porr. Heck with 5 of us on an Alaskan cruise we didn't always all do the same thing. Great talks at dinner about our activities.

 

 

Edited by frugaltravel
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

 

Does the White Pass Railroad excursion have to be prepaid?

 

All excursions have to be prepaid if you want to lock in your place. 

 

You can wait until you are on ship, but you are taking the chance they sell out.  And prices are far more likely to rise than to fall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/11/2020 at 8:30 PM, LB_NJ said:

 

Does the White Pass Railroad excursion have to be prepaid?

 

I've seen same day tickets available down at the train depot in past.  I'm really not sure if they always have some available, though.  Every time we've walked by the train, it looked pretty crowded to me.  If you purchase tickets on the Railroad's site, they are $130 ... and you can purchase them ahead of time.  The advice on their website is as follows: 

For passengers arriving via cruise ship, this tour is available from your ship’s Shore Excursion Department. By booking through the cruise line, you will be able to take advantage of the dockside service and board the train on the pier alongside your ship.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d sign up for Groupon.  It was back in 2015,  but I got a few good discounts on there for  Tours, including a flight tour to Denali, and for transfer from Whittier to Anchorage airport.  These discounts were available beginning in Late December-early January for the coming season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

Two grandparents taking two grandchildren on their first Alaskan cruise on the Coral in May.  We are in room C230 [me]. We are wondering how the bed configuration will be set up for the 4 of us. The grandkids are 15 yr old girl and 13 yr old boy so cannot share a bed obviously. we know there is a sleeper couch. Is a cot set up for the other child? any info/pics would be appreciated...thank you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/13/2020 at 7:59 PM, cuisson said:

Two grandparents taking two grandchildren on their first Alaskan cruise on the Coral in May.  We are in room C230 [me]. We are wondering how the bed configuration will be set up for the 4 of us. The grandkids are 15 yr old girl and 13 yr old boy so cannot share a bed obviously. we know there is a sleeper couch. Is a cot set up for the other child? any info/pics would be appreciated...thank you. 

We were in a mini suite on the Coral in July 2017 with our two grown children.  Here is a photo with the extra beds.  There is one single sofa bed, as well as one ceiling drop-down bed.  Neither of the extra beds were plush, by any means—but we made it work.  We found there was plenty of storage, even for four adults.  

1E71DC02-99F1-4419-8DA7-CA0FB134E754.jpeg

Edited by Cobber76
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...