WATCH: Carnival cruise ships crash into each other

-Lew-

4 hours ago, steelers36 said:

Which of the two Captains will be fired or demoted?  The cruise carries on - with dining al fresco!!

In Port, they should have been under the control of the Pilots with the captains citing second chair. I would have loved to hear that conversation! LOL

1 hour ago, Mike45LC said:

Isn't a pilot in charge of the ship during docking?  I would think that the pilot is the one who messed up, not the captain.

That is how I understand it.A Pilot's licence is hard to get and worth a lot of money. Not sure how much insurance they have to carry.

From Wikipedia:

"Because the act of pilotage needed to be regulated and to ensure that pilots had adequate insurance, the harbours started to use licensed pilots. If a licensed pilot offered his services, an incoming ship was obliged to bring the pilot onboard."

1 hour ago, Mike45LC said:

Isn't a pilot in charge of the ship during docking?  I would think that the pilot is the one who messed up, not the captain.

7 minutes ago, TheRabbit said:

In Port, they should have been under the control of the Pilots with the captains citing second chair. I would have loved to hear that conversation! LOL

Yes, I know.  I was just joking around.  From a few things I have read, I think sometimes the pilot may be providing the directions and instructions with ship personnel at the helm and sometimes the pilot may be at the helm.  But I am NO expert.

3 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

Yes, I know.  I was just joking around.  From a few things I have read, I think sometimes the pilot may be providing the directions and instructions with ship personnel at the helm and sometimes the pilot may be at the helm.  But I am NO expert.

I knew it was Tongue-in-cheek, was just looking for a good post to quote. Didn't see anything on the first page on Pilots. Saw where Mike43LC posted on the second page after quoting you.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sttopmh said:

Good time to purchase Carnival stock.

Actually you miss-timed your suggestion.  CCL jumped UP 7.6% yesterday, Monday might be another story as past performance is not a guarantee of future performance and all the legal investment disclaimer stuff.

Edited by Retired_Army
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

No, he/she is obligated to bring onboard a local pilot when required, but the Captain is ALWAYS responsible.  

• Like 2

The Glory was docked near the Caribbean Princess in Montego Bay this past Wednesday. I'm glad there was a lot of room between the ships. There was another Carnival ship that docked beside us in Grand Turk. People were complaining about having to wait for that ship to dock to go back to our ship. They were holding us in the shop and not letting us go onto the pier until that ship was docked. Now we see why.

Want to thank all you guys for you responses to this video thread.  You all make up for the negatives we sometimes see on this CC.  You all have made my morning with chuckles and some LOL times.  I know this was a serious situation and feel for the people involved, but also really good to see the sense of humor that others have shared.  Love a good sense of humor!!  Cruise on with faith that all will be well...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, geoherb said:

The Glory was docked near the Caribbean Princess in Montego Bay this past Wednesday. I'm glad there was a lot of room between the ships. There was another Carnival ship that docked beside us in Grand Turk. People were complaining about having to wait for that ship to dock to go back to our ship. They were holding us in the shop and not letting us go onto the pier until that ship was docked. Now we see why.

An other reason for keeping you away as a ship is docked is the load on the 4" lines. We had on snap in New Zealand in 2009. Luckily no-one was near at the time as it could have cut someone in two. In our case it was heavy winds pushing the Star off the dock.

The report now is that a 39 knot wind blew the Glory into the Legend which was already tied to the pier.  The Glory just missed the Oasis of the Seas tied to a pier nearby.  Cruise ships with their tall mostly flat side profile are very susceptible to high winds.   In nautical terms the collision is called an allision where a ship runs into a stationary object such as another ship already tied to the pier.  Carnival is saying that the next cruise on the Glory will go on as scheduled.  There were 8 ships in port when the incident happened.  

Of course not as they have 3 different piers that cruise ships use.  The International pier (Royal Caribbean) and Puerto Maya pier (Carnival et al) are very close neighbors.  The Oasis was alongside the International pier while the Legend was alongside the Puerto Maya pier at the time of collision.  What is your point?

Edited by satxdiver

15 hours ago, satxdiver said:

Of course not as they have 3 different piers that cruise ships use.  The International pier (Royal Caribbean) and Puerto Maya pier (Carnival et al) are very close neighbors.  The Oasis was alongside the International pier while the Legend was alongside the Puerto Maya pier at the time of collision.  What is your point?

The day of the accident there were only 4 ships at that pier before the Regal arrived.