Fires around Sydney

jhenry1

what is to blame here for all these condition's that are now happening around the globe in there summer or winter season's  .. 

I have heard stories from global warming to co2 emission green house gasses  , pollution, cattle methane , council's governments , etc  ..  what do people think and think its from .. 

me I don't believe in climate change as the earth has been changing since day one .. but in saying that I do believe we have accelerated the problem tho ..  

54 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Stay safe, Mic. And you too NSWP - I see there are a few fires listed around Batemans Bay at the moment.

Cheers, the train is out as well. Hopefully not for too long, I know some cruisers that are supposed to be on it tomorrow morning for a cruise they are getting on in Sydney.

26 minutes ago, in rod we trust said:

what is to blame here for all these condition's that are now happening around the globe in there summer or winter season's  .. 

I have heard stories from global warming to co2 emission green house gasses  , pollution, cattle methane , council's governments , etc  ..  what do people think and think its from .. 

me I don't believe in climate change as the earth has been changing since day one .. but in saying that I do believe we have accelerated the problem tho ..  

Yep, all of the above and more. But don't tell Donald.

Edited by lyndarra
typo

23 minutes ago, in rod we trust said:

It sounds like you are a bit confused. how can you not believe in climate change but then state it does change and then you state that we have helped accelerate it.

• Like 1

Oh no - a water bomber has crashed in the snowy mountains.  So tragic - it sounds like they were visitors from the US helping out too.  Sad condolences to their families and friends.  

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6595395/three-dead-after-waterbombing-plane-crashes-in-snowy-monaro-region/?cs=14231

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, lucymorgan said:

Oh no - a water bomber has crashed in the snowy mountains.  So tragic - it sounds like they were visitors from the US helping out too.  Sad condolences to their families and friends.  

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6595395/three-dead-after-waterbombing-plane-crashes-in-snowy-monaro-region/?cs=14231

6pm news stated the crew members were from the USA and the plane was from Canada. It is such a dangerous job to do.  The company which owns the aircraft has grounded three others to check them to make sure it was not a mechanical issue.

Condolences to the crew's family.

Leigh

I've been watching all the Australian news for 5 weeks.  I'm in Florida, USA.  Scheduled for 2 cruises out of Sydney-  a Royal Caribbean "Voyager" cruise Feb. 16 and then an "Ovation" cruise to New Zealand on Feb. 29.  All paid for now.  Supposed to be a life-long dream, come true.  But, with all the tragic events (weather, human, and animal) it seems so trivial to go on pleasure trips when so many are suffering.   I don't know what to do.  I live with a respiratory issue.  Do I come and hope for the best?  Or do I try to cancel and try to get some money back?  Any advice, please?

21 minutes ago, Teddy116 said:

I've been watching all the Australian news for 5 weeks.  I'm in Florida, USA.  Scheduled for 2 cruises out of Sydney-  a Royal Caribbean "Voyager" cruise Feb. 16 and then an "Ovation" cruise to New Zealand on Feb. 29.  All paid for now.  Supposed to be a life-long dream, come true.  But, with all the tragic events (weather, human, and animal) it seems so trivial to go on pleasure trips when so many are suffering.   I don't know what to do.  I live with a respiratory issue.  Do I come and hope for the best?  Or do I try to cancel and try to get some money back?  Any advice, please?

Hi Teddy, with those two cruises, it is very very unlikely that you will be anywhere near affected communities.  However, the affected communities are asking people to visit (see miccanberra's earlier post https://youtu.be/KuJG7HalfSg)

You will be welcomed with open arms.  Regarding respiratory issues, perhaps bring a P2/N95 mask and your medications, but the smoke is much less than it was a couple of weeks ago.  

Australia is a big country so there are big distances between the fires - even though some are close to my home town.   

Edited by lucymorgan
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Teddy116 said:

You must be agonising with your quandary. I see your Voyager cruise travels south from Sydney - the air in Melbourne and Hobart are currently good. Unfortunately no-one can say how things will be in the middle of February but life is going on in the cities. I see Sydney air quality today is not so great. If you're worried about enjoying yourself when there's been so much suffering, I think most Australians would rather people still came for their holidays and spent money rather than staying away. You could perhaps get an opinion from your medical practitioner with regard to your respiratory illness. If you are very ill the Sydney air may bother you. I've known people with advanced emphysema who would have been bothered.

Heading away from Sydney on your New Zealand leg will be glorious - I would think you'd be glad you did it. I've done a similar cruise and it's really worth doing - spectacular. The Fiordland National Park is very special (the Sounds).

I hope you manage to feel comfortable coming over.

38 minutes ago, Teddy116 said:

come and enjoy your cruises and any land based activities. 

one of the big negative impacts in many areas is the financial burden caused by people cancelling their holidays, even nowhere near areas of real danger.

no need to feel guilty.

49 minutes ago, Teddy116 said:

Please do come. Tourists are very welcome and wanted. If you are concerned about your respiratory issue, talk to your doctor about it and bring a mask to use as lucymorgan suggested in above. Keep watching the weather forecasts for Sydney (www.bom.gov.au/nsw/). The following link is a webcam which shows Sydney Harbour, you can see what the conditions are - https://webcamsydney.com/ -  there is a dust haze over Sydney today.

Enjoy your cruise and don't feel guilty about having a good time.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

It sounds like you are a bit confused. how can you not believe in climate change but then state it does change and then you state that we have helped accelerate it.

I don't believe in climate change in the way people use it against all the crap that's going on..  climate has been changing since day 1 ..  greenhouse gases should be used as its the rising co2 that is causing the issues around the globe according to scientist ..  hut then again some predict we will be entering a mini ice age as well..  .. I just hope it rains in the areas needed ..  but who knows  if we don't get lots of rain soon Sydney just might be one of a few cities without water .. another case of a myan city  no water 

Welcome to Cruise critic.

I agree with what Lucymorgan has posted. Come but come prepared.

only you know your health  and what trigger's that can cause any harm to yourself  .. there will always be another cruise , nobody here can give you 100% assurance there wont be smoke , so put your health first  .. your health is more important than any cruise 

6 minutes ago, in rod we trust said:

I don't believe in climate change in the way people use it against all the crap that's going on..  climate has been changing since day 1 ..  greenhouse gases should be used as its the rising co2 that is causing the issues around the globe according to scientist ..  hut then again some predict we will be entering a mini ice age as well.. 

Another post that is as clear as mud.