Fires around Sydney

jhenry1

23 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, that's what I was thinking, Leigh. We didn't camp, there was a gorgeous lodge there with one and two bedroom apartments. Fully self-contained with a motorboat you could rent for the day and a great BBQ area.  Friends of ours were staying in a nearby house that friends of theirs had lent them. My friends haven't heard anything either. 

OzKiwi, I found a warning from NYE about Gipsy Point and other local communities - 

This Emergency Warning is being issued for Mallacoota, Gipsy Point, Karbeethong, Genoa, Tamboon, Club Terrace, Combienbar, Cann River and surrounds.
This Emergency Warning replaces the Emergency Warning issued at 8.30am today 31/12/2019.
There are currently two bushfires that are not yet under control.
One fire is currently travelling from Wingan River in an easterly direction and has impacted the Mallacoota, Genoa, Karbeethong and Gipsy Point communities and has also moved into NSW.
The second fire is travelling from Goongerah in a south easterly direction and has impacted Club Terrace and the Princes Hwy.
Ash and embers are falling ahead of the main fires, which may cause spot fires.

MALLACOOTA-This message is for people at Mallacoota and surrounding communities
One fire is currently travelling from Wingan River in an easterly direction and has impacted Mallacoota, Genoa, Karbeethong and Gipsy Point.
Crews are focusing their efforts on asset protection around the township
It is too late to leave, the safest option is to shelter indoors.
An assembly area has been established at the Mallacoota Main Community Hall at Allan Drive.
The Genoa-Mallacoota Road is closed.
We understand that residents are anxious to find out about the full impact of these fires on their individual properties and communities, however, the full impact will not be known until Rapid Impact Assessment teams have been through the areas, which cannot occur before roads have been made safe.

Another report from a couple who had been staying at the Gipsy Point Lodge and fled early on the 31st Dec to Mallacoota and were eventually evacuated, but they had not heard if the lodge had survived.

I also found this from the NY Times Jan 3rd - 

An email that the retired engineer Ian Mitchell sent to friends on New Year’s Day from the small northern Victoria community of Gipsy Point speaks for countless Australians at this moment of catastrophe:

“All

we and most of Gipsy Point houses still here as of now. We have 16 people in Gipsy pt.

No power, no phone no chance of anyone arriving for 4 days as all roads blocked. Only satellite email is working We have 2 bigger boats and might be able to get supplies ‘esp fuel at Coota.

We need more able people to defend the town as we are in for bad heat from Friday again. Tucks area will be a problem from today, but trees down on all tracks, and no one to fight it.

We are tired, but ok.

But we are here in 2020!

Love

Us”

Leigh

Thanks, Leigh. Very sad for them there. It must be very frightening. From memory the river isn't all that wide at that point so probably couldn't be used as a safe haven and it's a long run down to Mallacoota by water.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I must say I am relieved, I was sure they were fine but I was worried about their house /property.

I am too. Hopefully now their house is safe and they’ll be able to go home soon once the power is restored. 

Leigh

6 minutes ago, possum52 said:

The cool change is going through Melbourne now. Dropped from 32 here to 18 in just a matter of minutes. It is raining but very blustery, the wind coming from the south. 

Leigh

wish it was like that in Sydney its hot and windy again

is this a sign of global warming as I see many are blaming climate change for any little thing that happens..

oh and the greens they seem to blame them as well .. considering labor and libs make up all the policies that govern out state and country

Edited by in rod we trust

10 minutes ago, possum52 said:

The cool change is going through Melbourne now. Dropped from 32 here to 18 in just a matter of minutes. It is raining but very blustery, the wind coming from the south. 

Leigh

That’s an amazing drop !  🤭🤭

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

Sure sounds like Melbourne😉

43 minutes ago, possum52 said:

So do I Mic. The wind might blow the smoke away.

Leigh

We are down to fair here for today, the smoke has almost gone for now, unfortunately it is 40 degrees so still not pleasant being outside. I hope the possible rain for tomorrow comes and does some good.

40 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

We are down to fair here for today, the smoke has almost gone for now, unfortunately it is 40 degrees so still not pleasant being outside. I hope the possible rain for tomorrow comes and does some good.

We are hoping for rain in Brisbane tomorrow and on Sunday.

Australia Merchant Navy manned rig supply vessel Far Saracen, a Norwegian flagged vessel, gets supplies to Mallacoota on 1st January - 24 hours ahead of RAN.

Brought to light on a rare F/B post by a Victorian Police Officer who lived aboard for a week. He thought the crew & operators needed recognition for all the hard work & urgently needed supplies.

From ABC report.

Far Saracen - AHRS vessel.jpg

Supplies from Far Saracen.jpg

• Like 4

On 1/9/2020 at 12:08 PM, MicCanberra said:

I have just heard form Uncle Les, they are fine, are staying in Sydney (with family) as there is no power at their house. They have not been back as yet since Xmas.

Great to hear! I must say I was a bit concerned for them. Look forward to him being back on here to keep us entertained 🙂

43 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Great to hear! I must say I was a bit concerned for them. Look forward to him being back on here to keep us entertained 🙂

I am sure Uncle Les will be back on his ye Olde computer, typing his sagacious advice. 

2 hours ago, SeaDog-46 said:

Australia Merchant Navy manned rig supply vessel Far Saracen, a Norwegian flagged vessel, gets supplies to Mallacoota on 1st January - 24 hours ahead of RAN.

Brought to light on a rare F/B post by a Victorian Police Officer who lived aboard for a week. He thought the crew & operators needed recognition for all the hard work & urgently needed supplies.

From ABC report.

Far Saracen - AHRS vessel.jpg

Supplies from Far Saracen.jpg

I read about the Far Saracen a few days ago. The crew did a brilliant  job evidently. She is a supply ship for the oil and gas drilling platforms of the coast of Victoria.

Leigh

Hello fellow cruisers,I would like to ask this to the locals on this forum-  Do you really feel that an outdoor vacation on Celebrity cruises can truly be enjoyed with this level of smoke and  air pollution??

We have been to your beautiful country 5 years ago NZ as well .One of the biggest joys was the wonderful fresh air and pristine  country side.

Do we have much recourse with the travel insurance?

Thank you

Mcogirl

When are you planning to visit? The weather is changing and parts of SE Australia are have received rain. Conditions are improving. Who knows what it will be like when you arrive. As for your question about insurance, I would contact your insurance company.

1 hour ago, MCOgirl said:

Hello fellow cruisers,I would like to ask this to the locals on this forum-  Do you really feel that an outdoor vacation on Celebrity cruises can truly be enjoyed with this level of smoke and  air pollution??

We have been to your beautiful country 5 years ago NZ as well .One of the biggest joys was the wonderful fresh air and pristine  country side.

Do we have much recourse with the travel insurance?

Thank you

Mcogirl

I would think that unless you have a health condition that makes it dangerous, insurance wouldn't want to pay out. That said, all places (apart from Eden) where cruise ships would be docking would not be directly affected by the fires. As for smoke, it is really only the south east coast being very adversely affected, even if the smoke is drifting into some other locations for a few hours or so.